Schoop Extension Talks

backwardsk

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do hate that the Orioles don’t aggressively try and extend their young core players early on, but I think Schoop made a significant change in his approach at the plate which makes me think while perhaps there will be a bit of regression to the mean he’s closer to the 2017 player than the pre-2017 player going forward.

I'd love to re-sign Schoop while he's fairly cheap, but at the same time I'd like to wait until after the trade deadline next season or once the season is over. By then we will know which the direction the franchise is heading, and if Schoop is part of the long term plan.

2 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Oh, I'm warm all over, believe me.  It's all about the picks for any knowledgeable baseball fan.

I know you are being sarcastic but it really is all about cost controlled talent.  Whether those players are picked up internationally, thru the draft, thru trades, or thru waiver claims; cost controlled talent is what winning teams are made of.

2 minutes ago, billw76 said:

I'd love to re-sign Schoop while he's fairly cheap, but at the same time I'd like to wait until after the trade deadline next season or once the season is over. By then we will know which the direction the franchise is heading, and if Schoop is part of the long term plan.

Signing him to a reasonable deal doesn’t preclude trading him if the team decides to rebuild.    In fact, it enhances his trade value.   

Just now, phillyOs119 said:

I know you are being sarcastic but it really is all about cost controlled talent.  Whether those players are picked up internationally, thru the draft, thru trades, or thru waiver claims; cost controlled talent is what winning teams are made of.

Yes I am being sarcastic, and to address an earlier post of yours, hyberbole is my middle name.  Or at least when I'm in public....

I completely agree with your premise as long as it's the foundation of a larger, more varied approach.  But I sometime see a worship of prospects around here that borders on the fetishistic.  It's truly weird.

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Signing him to a reasonable deal doesn’t preclude trading him if the team decides to rebuild.    In fact, it enhances his trade value.   

Your absolutely right Frobby. I guess I'm kind of unsure what the future of this team will be and what direction I'd like to see it go. 

5 hours ago, billw76 said:

Your absolutely right Frobby. I guess I'm kind of unsure what the future of this team will be and what direction I'd like to see it go. 

I'd like them to go in the direction of signing good young players for as long as possible who have bright futures. There is no "direction" that doesn't include Schoop any way you look at it. You draft them. Develop them. And sign them. They don't come around that often. 

2 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

I'd like them to go in the direction of signing good young players for as long as possible who have bright futures. There is no "direction" that doesn't include Schoop any way you look at it. You draft them. Develop them. And sign them. They don't come around that often. 

Please, with the influx of talent coming in via the international pipeline I'm sure they will have another exciting player to replace Schoop in the next few decades.

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Which is why Schoop might be signed for 6/$80mm and Manny might cost 10/$300mm or more.   

Pay them. In a world where Chris Davis makes 22 million a year they seem like a bargain. 

Hopefully Schoop is the first domino to fall of keeping Manny. 300 million and/or Almora might be the next. Haha

11 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I mean, it's great that we are thinking extension with him, but can we just once buy on a guy when he is not coming off a career year?lk

Well not every deal is going to be an Adam Jones deal from 2011.  I'd just be happy with keeping our young 25 yr old IF's instead of blowing that money on FA bidding wars for old Pitchers and Hitters. 

It must be hard for DD to negotiate LT deals considering that he's on a one year deal. But then you'd have to believe that he even has the authority to do that.  LOL 

Archived