Mike Friers on the trade market?

bpilktree

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope we don't get Fiers so that people will melt down over letting another Doug Fister slip through Dan Duquette's incompetent fingers.  After all, he's too busy signing minor league free agents to actually make a major league deal.  (Sarcasm alert!)

51 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I'd be interested specially since it probably won't take much to get him. Tom Koehler from Toronto is another interesting guy who is probably going to be non tendered

Tom Koehler is the worst pitcher in MLB baseball. 

I think we should go get Fiers. The price is right. The upside is right. Same thing with Tyler Chatwood. Make it happen. 

If we do not get a good return on Britton, we should hold onto him and see if he can increase his value. If he comes back lights out this year, we can get a nice package for him at the trade deadline in July. 

Friers is a good SO guy, but he gives up a lot of hits and gave up 32 homers last season.  His ERA+ has gone downhill the last 2 years - 88 and 76.  Seems like he should be doing better - given the good SO and SO/W rates.  I'm torn on this one - it's hard to find good pitching at a reasonable rate, but is he really good pitching?  We could certainly do worse.  

5 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

On the Fiers note, what would you all think of this trade?  Purely speculation, but this seems like it'd work for both sides.

Britton to the Astros

Fiers, Rogelio Armenteros, and Abraham Toro-Hernandez (or other low minors upside guy) to the Orioles

The Orioles wouldn't get any TOP prospects in the deal, but they would save about 7 million and get two solid rotation options in one fell swoop.

The Astros give up Fiers (who they are reportedly considering non-tendering anyways). Armenterosa who is a MLB ready backend rotation guy who is behind higher upside pieces on the Astros but who would be the Orioles best upper minors rotation piece, and a young low level 3B with some upside in Toro-Hernandez.

That's the kind of thinking I'd like to see from Duquette.  

11 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

That's the kind of thinking I'd like to see from Duquette.  

I believe Duquette fully intends to keep Britton and Machado, "go for it" one last time, and then let them walk as free agents and accept the draft pics as his sole consolation.

I hope I am wrong, of course.

7 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I believe Duquette fully intends to keep Britton and Machado, "go for it" one last time, and then let them walk as free agents and accept the draft pics as his sole consolation.

I hope I am wrong, of course.

Yup, and hope is what we got going that keeps us fans.  I completely agree with your comments.  I also hope to say,  Yardball was way off.  

8 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I'm fine with acquiring Fiers, but it should basically be for a low-level prospect or as a throw-in to a larger deal. Fiers is a fine No.5 level starter option. He'll give you 25-30 starts and a high-4 or low-5 ERA. It's not great, but it's also not Ubaldo.

I'd expect Fiers, Moran, Alcala, Armenteros, and Straw 

for 

Britton and Peralta

23 hours ago, oriole said:

I found a video of him throwing at a players head in retaliation for a bat flip. Not interested in that type of player...especially if they're not even a particularly good one.

Didn't recall that.

That actually MAKES me want him. 

Archived