Mike Friers on the trade market?

bpilktree

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/30/2017 at 11:53 AM, oriole said:

I found a video of him throwing at a players head in retaliation for a bat flip. Not interested in that type of player...especially if they're not even a particularly good one.

On 12/1/2017 at 10:55 AM, CP0861 said:

Didn't recall that.

That actually MAKES me want him. 

25 minutes ago, CP0861 said:

Btw, at no point did I advocate hurting players or trying to kill someone....that's sorta obvious and goes without saying.  Someone got their panties in a bunch and ran off out of context.....

It’s pretty hard to read what you wrote as anything other than advocating that throwing at a batter’s head can be desirable.   By definition, if you throw at a batter’s head, you could kill him.    Obviously no pitcher tries to kill a hitter, but throwing at someone’s head intentionally is completely reckless and shouldn’t be condoned.   

There is the pitch. I admit it is debatable if that constitutes as "throwing at head" but when I watch that I don't like what I see. If you want to send a message throw something inside or hit some butt cheek. Even though it was a lob toss and well above the head I think it is a poor trait in a pitcher to think to do it.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It’s pretty hard to read what you wrote as anything other than advocating that throwing at a batter’s head can be desirable.   By definition, if you throw at a batter’s head, you could kill him.    Obviously no pitcher tries to kill a hitter, but throwing at someone’s head intentionally is completely reckless and shouldn’t be condoned.   

When I said "that makes me want him" I was referring to Fiers as a pitcher sending a message to a batter who flipped their bat.  I wasn't implying that I wanted the guy because he's a headhunter and he's out to kill people.  

I don't think that's very hard to understand.  At the same time, I can certainly understand how it was misinterpreted.  And I realize this is the internet, where lots of people think being a sarcastic wise ass to a complete stranger is cool, but personally, I would have clarified before insulting and being a smartass.  But that's just me.

Also, before my first reply....I watched it (i'm guessing most of the posters who responded to me didn't).  And no, I definitely don't consider that "throwing at his head."  Valbuena flipped his bat and pranced like a fairy, and Fiers sent him a message.  That's all I see in that video.  

Now I really REALLY want him.

1 hour ago, oriole said:

There is the pitch. I admit it is debatable if that constitutes as "throwing at head" but when I watch that I don't like what I see. If you want to send a message throw something inside or hit some butt cheek. Even though it was a lob toss and well above the head I think it is a poor trait in a pitcher to think to do it.

Maybe throwing at the head of the guy in the third row way to the left.  

This is what this cranky, multi-page bicker fest has been about?  Geez.  We need some news.

4 hours ago, CP0861 said:

When I said "that makes me want him" I was referring to Fiers as a pitcher sending a message to a batter who flipped their bat.  I wasn't implying that I wanted the guy because he's a headhunter and he's out to kill people.  

I don't think that's very hard to understand.  At the same time, I can certainly understand how it was misinterpreted.  And I realize this is the internet, where lots of people think being a sarcastic wise ass to a complete stranger is cool, but personally, I would have clarified before insulting and being a smartass.  But that's just me.

Also, before my first reply....I watched it (i'm guessing most of the posters who responded to me didn't).  And no, I definitely don't consider that "throwing at his head."  Valbuena flipped his bat and pranced like a fairy, and Fiers sent him a message.  That's all I see in that video.  

Now I really REALLY want him.

Didn’t Chris Sale throw at Machado multiple times last year?  We’d all take Chris Sale. 

23 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Didn’t Chris Sale throw at Machado multiple times last year?  We’d all take Chris Sale. 

It’s about throwing at someone’s head.     I wasn’t happy with Sale’s throwing at Manny, but it was waist and below, which is a different issue.  

10 hours ago, 24fps said:

Maybe throwing at the head of the guy in the third row way to the left.  

This is what this cranky, multi-page bicker fest has been about?  Geez.  We need some news.

I agree. Throwing at the butt is worse than this "head" shot. If you want to see a real head shot, dig up the video of the Yankee reliever that "intentionally" nailed a guy in the head with a near 100 mph pitch  late last season and compare the two.

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s about throwing at someone’s head.     I wasn’t happy with Sale’s throwing at Manny, but it was waist and below, which is a different issue.  

It's about throwing about someone's head because it could kill someone or cause serious injury, right? Even though with a gazillion MLB at bats since Ray Chapman in 1920, no one has been killed since.  Remote chance.....but possible, right?

It only became an issue with headhunting, because the word "throwing at a players head" is what some fixated on when Oriole wrote, "I found a video of him throwing at a players head in retaliation for a bat flip."  I read that and came away with "him throwing....in retaliation for a bat flip."  And again, I took the time to actually watch the video he referenced......you know, in order to form my own opinion.....in which he clearly wasn't throwing AT the guys head.

Frobby - "By definition, if you throw at a batter’s head, you could kill him.    Obviously no pitcher tries to kill a hitter, but throwing at someone’s head intentionally is completely reckless and shouldn’t be condoned."

If you threw at the lower half, couldn't that also kill or seriously injure?   

You weren't happy with Sale, but couldn't that pitch have gone a mere 6-12 inches one way or another and caused serious injury to Manny?  Isn't it possible for a pitch to the abdomen or chest kill someone?  Ask Beef Supreme....that was one of the examples he cited.  Why isn't throwing at a waist also completely reckless?  

4 hours ago, UpstateNYfan said:

I agree. Throwing at the butt is worse than this "head" shot. If you want to see a real head shot, dig up the video of the Yankee reliever that "intentionally" nailed a guy in the head with a near 100 mph pitch  late last season and compare the two.

I was at a game in the late 90's in Anaheim when Chris Hoiles came to bat and was unintentionally hit in the head.  He took it off the helmet and you could clearly hear it way up in the nosebleed seats by 1B where I was.  Everyone else could hear it too, there was a loud groan and then silence.  An experience like that really puts all the macho nonsense in perspective.

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

This.

I don't mind a fiery guy (no pun intended, honest).  If Fiers is someone who will buzz someone in the butt after a dirty slide, I have no problem with it.  But I think we can all agree that guys with a tendency to throw at people's heads do not belong on our team, no matter who they are.

17 hours ago, oriole said:

He was clearly throwing at the head...of the beer vendor in section A1. 

Seriously though, this seems like much ado about nothing to me. He clearly had no intention of hitting the batter.

If we can get Fiers REALLY cheap I think I'd be fine with him as a fifth starter. We're going to have to take a flyer on someone. We have so many holes in our starting rotation not too. I'm just hoping they sign or trade for at least one legitimate pitcher we can count on. 

Archived