Fanfest

Going Underground

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sure. Fanfest is not one of those things. And that's another good point: despite some players not attending Fanfest, they are still doing great things for the community. Arguably much, much better things than signing autographs.

i have heard that they need permission not to attend. I will try and find out. i think it is in the contract unless a good reason comes up,

First baseman Chris Davis and closer Zach Britton had previously been given permission to miss Saturday’s event and weren’t included on the autograph voucher schedule.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-machado-20180127-story.html

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, interloper said:

Schoop is currently not under contract as an Oriole. He has no salary for this upcoming season. 

As a legal matter, Schoop most definitely is under contract, even though his salary has not been determined.     Just as Zach Britton was when he tore his Achilles.     

I do think that, at a minimum, an explanation is owed other than just “personal reasons.”     They were scheduled to come, people bought tickets to see them, and now they’re not coming.    That’s embarrassing.  

I’m so glad I decided not to go this year.    

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As a legal matter, Schoop most definitely is under contract, even though his salary has not been determined.     Just as Zach Britton was when he tore his Achilles.     

I do think that, at a minimum, an explanation is owed other than just “personal reasons.”     They were scheduled to come, people bought tickets to see them, and now they’re not coming.    That’s embarrassing.  

That's all fair. Hey, it sucks. It's on the Orioles though, not the player. I have a hard time believing that if the Orioles projected an atmosphere of competence, operations that were anywhere near being portrayed as player-friendly (even just outwardly/optically), open communication, aggressively doing its best to show both players and fans that they intend to win, etc., that more often than not, they'd avoid situations like this.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. The face of the franchise is openly mocking the organization on Twitter. Whether or not you agree with that, that's the situation they've created for themselves. It's not the situation the players have created for the organization or the fans.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You are absolutely correct on the contract situation.  I do find it bothersome that both would drop out at the last minute without some significant personal reason.  I can't judge without knowing why they dropped, but at face value it looks like they're pitching hissy fits for lack of a better word.  It just comes across as unprofessional on the players parts, IMO.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

That's all fair. Hey, it sucks. It's on the Orioles though, not the player. I have a hard time believing that if the Orioles projected an atmosphere of competence, operations that were anywhere near being portrayed as player-friendly (even just outwardly/optically), open communication, aggressively doing its best to show both players and fans that they intend to win, etc., that more often than not, they'd avoid situations like this.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. The face of the franchise is openly mocking the organization on Twitter. Whether or not you agree with that, that's the situation they've created for themselves. It's not the situation the players have created for the organization or the fans.

Ok,checked with a reporter and he said the player is required to attend unless he has been given permission by the club for a variety of reasons that he can't attend.

So in your opinion because the O's make some poor decisions here and there the players are free to opt out of any obligations and appearances they sign up for at the last minute and that's the fault of the team?

I respectfully disagree.  There may be some perfectly legitimate reasons why Schoop and Manny had to opt out 24 hours before FanFest was due to start...............I look forward to hearing them.

Just now, Going Underground said:

Ok,checked with a reporter and he said the player is required to attend unless he has been given permission by the club for a variety of reasons that he can't attend.

Sure and that reason might be "family-related". But it doesn't mean that excuse isn't fabricated due to how the organization is running itself.

If Machado isn't attending because he doesn't want to come. I would tell him I hope you like being our starting catcher.  Single game tickets are already on sale.  

I think it would be funny if they announced that DD and Buck weren't coming either.  

This is just a continuation of the mess that this FO has created. An organization in chaos. God bless all you guys who are going to fan fest. Your great fans, really. I could not support this mess, and I will not. That makes you guys who are still going to this event awesome. I have seen enough. I am a 56 year old lifetime O's fan, and my spirit has now been broken. See you guys when the regime changes.

Just now, Aglets said:

So in your opinion because the O's make some poor decisions here and there the players are free to opt out of any obligations and appearances they sign up for at the last minute and that's the fault of the team?

I respectfully disagree.  There may be some perfectly legitimate reasons why Schoop and Manny had to opt out 24 hours before FanFest was due to start...............I look forward to hearing them.

The players are free to opt out of Fanfest for any legitimate reason, it appears. It's not up to us to determine if that reason is fabricated or not. All I know is that Schoop and Manny haven't exactly been treated great this offseason. There's no excuse for not having Schoop's (or Gausman's) salary locked in at this point. There's plenty of money, and these are two of your most important young players. Stop the nonsense and get these guys signed. It's not De Aza for crying out loud.

Secondly, you may not hear those reasons, nor should you expect to, because it's not your business to hear about them.

I'm not saying it doesn't suck. We all want all the players to be shining examples of player-fan relationships. 

IMO if the organization wasn't run so poorly so consistently, especially this offseason where its veterans and young players are all sitting in limbo following a last place finish, under the gun in it's last chance to make the playoffs before it's star players (and manager, and GM) hit the road, then yes, I believe we would not see this happening. That's just my opinion.

The best way to ensure players fulfill their obligations is for the organization to fulfill its obligation to winning. Or at least, you know, to having any kind of coherent plan.

3 minutes ago, theobird said:

This is just a continuation of the mess that this FO has created. An organization in chaos. God bless all you guys who are going to fan fest. Your great fans, really. I could not support this mess, and I will not. That makes you guys who are still going to this event awesome. I have seen enough. I am a 56 year old lifetime O's fan, and my spirit has now been broken. See you guys when the regime changes.

This, perhaps, is my whole point put much more succinctly. 

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sure and that reason might be "family-related". But it doesn't mean that excuse isn't fabricated due to how the organization is running itself.

I disagree with your argument but understand where you are coming from. The whole organization is run poor. The Nationals called me many times to try to get me to buy tickets. Had a 6 game plan and called me during the year and asked me how do you like it. The Orioles  have never called me. I have had tickets for 13 years . Terribly run marketing and just a teribly run organization in general. 

So Manny might not sign a long term contract with the Orioles?

The players are free to opt out of Fanfest for any legitimate reason, it appears. It's not up to us to determine if that reason is fabricated or not. All I know is that Schoop and Manny haven't exactly been treated great this offseason. There's no excuse for not having Schoop's (or Gausman's) salary locked in at this point. There's plenty of money, and these are two of your most important young players. Stop the nonsense and get these guys signed. It's not De Aza for crying out loud.

Secondly, you may not hear those reasons, nor should you expect to, because it's not your business to hear about them.

I'm not saying it doesn't suck. We all want all the players to be shining examples of player-fan relationships. 

IMO if the organization wasn't run so poorly so consistently, especially this offseason where its veterans and young players are all sitting in limbo following a last place finish, under the gun in it's last chance to make the playoffs before it's star players (and manager, and GM) hit the road, then yes, I believe we would not see this happening. That's just my opinion.

The best way to ensure players fulfill their obligations is for the organization to fulfill its obligation to winning. Or at least, you know, to having any kind of coherent plan.

It isn't our business? People on here have bought season tickets and other's have bought fan fest tickets with expectations that the team's highest paid players would be there.  Of course it is their business.  I guess their option is to stop following the team if they don't get a valid explanation. 

Archived