Slow Offseason around MLB

Redskins Rick

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2018/1/17/16900966/baseball-free-agency-mlb-slow-offseason

This isn’t where it ends, though. Rich teams can also worship at the church of the young player. The Yankees can afford Giancarlo Stanton and stay under the competitive-balance tax threshold because of their young players. The Dodgers can squeak under the threshold this year because of their young players, even though they spent $194 million to keep their own free agents last year. Cody Bellinger is basically paying rent to Justin Turner, who keeps raising it.

Why would they spend on Jake Arrieta now when they don’t know what they’ll need in 2019 or 2020, when their top-ranked farm system is spitting out talent? Better to trade for Arrieta in two years if he’s still good.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You know the answer to this problem is simple.

Just go back to letting the players use Steroids, HGH and Greenies.  All of those free agents will still be productive at 35.

If everyone is doing it, it’s not cheating?

Detroit and SF finished in last place.  Flip a coin and disband one (Detroit).  Your 30th team is now this

1B Hosmer 

2B N. Walker

SS Escobar

3B Frazier

RF Gonzalez

CF Cain

LF M Cabrera

DH Martinez

C Lucroy

Bench: Avila, Reyes, Moustakas, Jay

Rotation: Arietta, Darvish, Cobb, Lynn, Cashner

Pen: Holland, Liriano, Albers, Watson, Clippard, Cahill, Hernandez 

How many games does that team win?

3 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Detroit and SF finished in last place.  Flip a coin and disband one (Detroit).  Your 30th team is now this

1B Hosmer 

2B N. Walker

SS Escobar

3B Frazier

RF Gonzalez

CF Cain

LF M Cabrera

DH Martinez

C Lucroy

Bench: Avila, Reyes, Moustakas, Jay

Rotation: Arietta, Darvish, Cobb, Lynn, Cashner

Pen: Holland, Liriano, Albers, Watson, Clippard, Cahill, Hernandez 

How many games does that team win?

You don't even need to disband Detroit.  Fangraphs already has the All-FA team as the best team in baseball.

Fangraphs WAR by Team

I love this quote by Buck on 105.7 yesterday and Roch put it out on MASN:

Showalter said he isn’t worried about the pace of the offseason. He’s gotten used to it.

“I think a lot of people are having short memories,” he said. “It doesn’t always proceed at the pace that you want it to be. We all want to know about something before it happens. ‘I want to know exactly who our team is. Who’s going to play here? Who’s going to pitch here?’ The game doesn’t always cooperate or work that way.

“You can do a lot of things in November, December that you’re going to regret. There’s a lot of things going on and we’re prepared for it. I think the final product is something we’re going to be proud of.”

People have short memories. AMEN to that Buck!!!!

Archived