Slow Offseason around MLB

Redskins Rick

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

I love this quote by Buck on 105.7 yesterday and Roch put it out on MASN:

People have short memories. AMEN to that Buck!!!!

Short memories?    I’m still pissed off about the 1969 World Series!

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Good one.

Im still pissed about Zeile and the 96 or 97 ALCS with the Yankees. :)

AR-710129989.jpg?q=70&stamp=&maxw=500

A lot of folks are angry with Jeffrey Maier.  I'm not.  He was a 12 year old kid doing something that came naturally.  My anger was with, and remains with, Rich Garcia, the umpire that blew the call.  He was standing at the wall, just off screen to the right of this picture, looking straight up at the play.  Impossible to miss the interference.  A few years later, it came out that Garcia had received a slap on the wrist - a reprimand - for gambling with and owing money to illegal bookmakers.  This had occurred at the same time that the commissioner was busy banning Pete Rose for life.  An umpiring owing money to bookies is far worse than a manager gambling, IMO.  The potential to improperly change the outcome of a game is obvious.  Yet Garcia was not only not fired, he was there to make this ridiculous call and later was promoted to supervisor of umpires.  Yeah, I'm still very angry.

3 minutes ago, Number5 said:

A lot of folks are angry with Jeffrey Maier.  I'm not.  He was a 12 year old kid doing something that came naturally.  My anger was with, and remains with, Rich Garcia, the umpire that blew the call.  He was standing at the wall, just off screen to the right of this picture, looking straight up at the play.  Impossible to miss the interference.  A few years later, it came out that Garcia had received a slap on the wrist - a reprimand - for gambling with and owing money to illegal bookmakers.  This had occurred at the same time that the commissioner was busy banning Pete Rose for life.  An umpiring owing money to bookies is far worse than a manager gambling, IMO.  The potential to improperly change the outcome of a game is obvious.  Yet Garcia was not only not fired, he was there to make this ridiculous call and later was promoted to supervisor of umpires.  Yeah, I'm still very angry.

It shouldn't have been JUST on Garcia, though, he was by far the biggest culprit.   Everyone on the field knew that kid reached over the wall.  That entire umpiring crew should have been held accountable.

2 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

It shouldn't have been JUST on Garcia, though, he was by far the biggest culprit.   Everyone on the field knew that kid reached over the wall.  That entire umpiring crew should have been held accountable.

The call was Garcia's.  Every play in baseball has a specific umpire responsible for the call.  It is a common misconception that people think another umpire can "overrule" an umpire's call.  Not true.  An umpire can ask for help and change his call based on input from another umpire if he believes he may have missed something or had a poor angle, but the call remains his.  He is not required to ask for help, nor is he required to change his call if he does receive input from another umpire.

Just now, Number5 said:

The call was Garcia's.  Every play in baseball has a specific umpire responsible for the call.  It is a common misconception that people think another umpire can "overrule" an umpire's call.  Not true.  An umpire can ask for help and change his call based on input from another umpire if he believes he may have missed something or had a poor angle, but the call remains his.  He is not required to ask for help, nor is he required to change his call if he does receive input from another umpire.

Good point.   Did he ask for help on that play?   I don't remember.

12 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

MLB has long had problems with their ref and umpires, there is no oversight on them and sadly, the case you illustrated so well, isn't the only one out there, either.

22 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Good point.   Did he ask for help on that play?   I don't remember.

No.

I wondered for years how a MLB umpire could make such an incredibly poor call.  When the news came out about Garcia's gambling indebtedness and reprimand came out, I had my answer.

15 minutes ago, Number5 said:

No.

I wondered for years how a MLB umpire could make such an incredibly poor call.  When the news came out about Garcia's gambling indebtedness and reprimand came out, I had my answer.

Stupid who MLB handled Garcia:

Garcia took part in the 1999 Major League Umpires Association mass resignation which was engineered by Richie Phillips, the union's executive director. When the strategy backfired, Garcia lost his job because his resignation was one of the 22 accepted by Major League Baseball. After working as a consultant for the baseball commissioner's office, he was hired as a MLB umpire supervisor in 2002.[11] On March 8 of that year, the New York Daily News disclosed that in 1989 he and National League umpire Frank Pulli had associated with Florida-based bookmakers who were known drug dealers. Three days later, the Boston Herald reported that, according to information collected from federal wiretaps, both umpires had problems paying off their gambling debts. The punishment MLB had applied to Garcia and Pulli at the time was only two years' probation.[12] Garcia, along with fellow supervisors Marty Springstead and Jim McKean, were ousted on March 6, 2010 as a result of a 2009 postseason which was plagued by various high-profile questionable calls that drew a firestorm of criticism from fans and the media.[13]

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

I am not angry about that. That's in the past. Can't change the outcome. I am angry at Angelos for not wanting to give 4 year deals to better pitchers. 

Archived