Slow Offseason around MLB

Redskins Rick

11 hours ago, cimota said:

People are cutting the cord. The owners know that the end of non baseball fans supporting the league is ending,.  Peak salaries have been reached.  Players have to get used to the new economics of sports.

Yeah, right. 

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, oriole said:

My boss makes more money every year while my health insurance goes up and my pay stays stagnant ultimately making my take home pay less every year. Welcome to America.

If you are one of only a handful of people that can do your job and doing your job ultimately produces 100% of the big bosses revenue, then you should think about forming a union and using hard ball tactics to get a pay increase. Obligingly taking it in the you-know-what is not part of being an American. 

The players need to replace their union leadership. They were dumb for putting a retired player in charge instead of a nasty union attorney. The players basically agreed to a salary cap and will probably have to live with the current contract, although they can obviously put pressure on ownership in other ways. 

I don't, however, believe any reports that link the Orioles to some secret or unspoken conspiracy agains the players. Angelos has held strong pro-union stances and basically sided with the players union in the past. And he obviously has serious disputes with MLB. 

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

The players need to replace their union leadership. They were dumb for putting a retired player in charge instead of a nasty union attorney. The players basically agreed to a salary cap and will probably have to live with the current contract, although they can obviously put pressure on ownership in other ways. 

I don't, however, believe any reports that link the Orioles to some secret or unspoken conspiracy agains the players. Angelos has held strong pro-union stances and basically sided with the players union in the past. And he obviously has serious disputes with MLB. 

Again. I agree. 

If you are one of only a handful of people that can do your job and doing your job ultimately produces 100% of the big bosses revenue, then you should think about forming a union and using hard ball tactics to get a pay increase. Obligingly taking it in the you-know-what is not part of being an American. 

I'd say don't complain just go be your own boss. And if you can't then you know why your boss is your boss.

The players union helped create this. They didn't push for a world-wide draft, so many teams (especially larger market teams) are signing more young prospects. And teams realize that it makes no sense to sign 8 year mega deals and get only 4-5 good years out of it. Also, Boras started the whole "waiting" process to sign. So, I for one, don't want to hear players or agents complain. Times have changed and its time for the players to adjust. 

There's a difference between 50k a year and 20 million. Im not gonna go on the rant I want to go on out of respect of the OH and it's rules but being screwed by your boss is as American as apple pie. I have absolutely no sympathy for millionaire athletes. What they do is incredibly difficult but I refuse to take their side in economics. And if baseball is doing unbelievably well then why are stadiums paid by the taxpayers? Why are the baseballs made out of the country for pennies while a team plays in a city full of poor people?

Ill stop there. I just have an issue with millionaires wiping their tears with hundred dollar bills because mr. Baseball team owner won't give up an extra 10 million or whatever.

18 hours ago, oriole said:

I can't believe the players are feeling victimized. The salaries have gotten out of control and eventually it was going to peak. I don't understand the collective bargaining stuff enough to know whether the players union got screwed over or whatever but I do know that a baseball player, no matter how good, should never get $300m. It just doesn't make sense and more of a stain on American society than the sport overall. Still, a system built on constantly handing out "record contracts" was going to break at some point. 

Oh yes I agree with you. The goose that laid the gold egg has died. 

39 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Lynn scares me as NL pitcher that only throws fastballs. I don’t think that’ll play in the AL East. 

Same. I really doubt he would have the same type of success in the AL East. If it's a bigger commitment then I think you go after Cobb or no one. Cobb has done it here before. Lynn is a question mark.

I think the issue is that the smart teams understand that free agency is, all things considered, a losing bargain. The emphasis has shifted to having young, controllable players. Maybe in the future the union should negotiate for better salaries and benefits for controllable players. It's pretty insane that Aaron Judge made $544,000 last year while Jacoby Ellsbury made $21 million. 

Archived