Slow Offseason around MLB

Redskins Rick

18 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Dear Major League Baseball Owners:

If prospects are now more valuable than veterans, when will you start paying minor leaguers a decent wage?

Your pal,

MDBDOTCOM

The reason prospects are so "valuable" is because they are so cheap.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, crawjo said:

I think the issue is that the smart teams understand that free agency is, all things considered, a losing bargain. The emphasis has shifted to having young, controllable players. Maybe in the future the union should negotiate for better salaries and benefits for controllable players. It's pretty insane that Aaron Judge made $544,000 last year while Jacoby Ellsbury made $21 million. 

Also, it seems like baseball allows teams to control players longer than in other sports. NFL rookie contracts usually run 4-5 years and afterwards teams either pay market rate or tag them at a hefty price.

NBA is a little different with mid-level exceptions and the Bird rule, etc. But, it does seem like players have a little more freedom of movement.

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

The reason prospects are so "valuable" is because they are so cheap.

They have no value until they can show that they can play at the MLB level. None. It's fun to be a ballplayer. Very few of them are a return on investment. Sorry, those are facts. 

41 minutes ago, Mondo Trasho said:

Also, it seems like baseball allows teams to control players longer than in other sports. NFL rookie contracts usually run 4-5 years and afterwards teams either pay market rate or tag them at a hefty price.

NBA is a little different with mid-level exceptions and the Bird rule, etc. But, it does seem like players have a little more freedom of movement.

In both cases, the teams aren’t spending 2-6 years developing those players (and lots of other players who don’t make it).   If these guys were jumping straight from college to MLB with no investment by the team, their case for a shorter path to free agency would be better.   

56 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In both cases, the teams aren’t spending 2-6 years developing those players (and lots of other players who don’t make it).   If these guys were jumping straight from college to MLB with no investment by the team, their case for a shorter path to free agency would be better.   

So few actually are good. So very few. 

5 hours ago, oriole said:

There's a difference between 50k a year and 20 million. Im not gonna go on the rant I want to go on out of respect of the OH and it's rules but being screwed by your boss is as American as apple pie. I have absolutely no sympathy for millionaire athletes. What they do is incredibly difficult but I refuse to take their side in economics. And if baseball is doing unbelievably well then why are stadiums paid by the taxpayers? Why are the baseballs made out of the country for pennies while a team plays in a city full of poor people?

Ill stop there. I just have an issue with millionaires wiping their tears with hundred dollar bills because mr. Baseball team owner won't give up an extra 10 million or whatever.

Because timid politicians have agreed to pay, often through future tax benefits that will burden a city/county after their terms are over. In almost every case, the political "leaders" point to bogus analyses about the economic value to the city/county of building a new stadium. Sometimes, they are reacting to threats that the team will move, and nobody wants to be the mayor or county commissioner who lost a major league  team. 

This is getting better, I think, as the weakness of the arguments for public support of new stadia and arenas has been exposed, little by little. The worst offenders now seem to be cities that want to attract teams (Las Vegas) rather than those trying to retain them.

There were proposals a few years ago, which I thought were a great idea, to enact statutes requiring any team receiving public funding or other financial benefits to make their financial statements public. But as in so many other instances there was a shortage of politicians with the guts to act in a way that could be characterized as being adverse to the hometown team. 

2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Dear Major League Baseball Owners:

If prospects are now more valuable than veterans, when will you start paying minor leaguers a decent wage?

Your pal,

MDBDOTCOM

I'd save my outrage for the players' Union that not only won't negotiate for higher salaries for their brethren in the minors but actively cut their income by agreeing to spending Caps on the draft and the International market.

5 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Because timid politicians have agreed to pay, often through future tax benefits that will burden a city/county after their terms are over. In almost every case, the political "leaders" point to bogus analyses about the economic value to the city/county of building a new stadium. Sometimes, they are reacting to threats that the team will move, and nobody wants to be the mayor or county commissioner who lost a major league  team. 

This is getting better, I think, as the weakness of the arguments for public support of new stadia and arenas has been exposed, little by little. The worst offenders now seem to be cities that want to attract teams (Las Vegas) rather than those trying to retain them.

There were proposals a few years ago, which I thought were a great idea, to enact statutes requiring any team receiving public funding or other financial benefits to make their financial statements public. But as in so many other instances there was a shortage of politicians with the guts to act in a way that could be characterized as being adverse to the hometown team. 

I think that corruption has become a bit harder to hide. 

Archived