Is Davis Done?

weams

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

The huge dropoff was at 28 in 2014, when he hit .196. How that was ignored and he was gifted a 6 year contract.... just  makes no senso

This.  2014 was enough of warning sign that you don't gamble on Davis with a long term contract.  Orioles can't afford to eat bad contracts like the Yankee and Red Sox.  

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I think you are onto something here.  Not exactly a revelation but he was certainly a huge guy at one point.   He got married and had a kid and got a big contract.   Now, he wants to stay healthy and grow old.   He tried (did he succeed?) to kick chewing tobacco.    He had problems the year he was denied the Adderall exemption and he's been getting worse the last two years.   He's only 31 so it makes you wonder.    It could be nothing.  Boog Powerll went downhill around the same age.  On the other hand ......    It makes you wonder.

This past year he still had *something* in his lip area. Whether it was tobacco or that new "coffee dip" is unknown to me.

I was actually just thinking this the other night. Remember the video of him taking a pitch to the ribs? He slammed his bat down and broke it in two and the pitcher looked ready to piss on himself. 

Maybe something needs to snap in Davis to make him play with an edge and show some emotion.

5 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

This past year he still had *something* in his lip area. Whether it was tobacco or that new "coffee dip" is unknown to me.

I was actually just thinking this the other night. Remember the video of him taking a pitch to the ribs? He slammed his bat down and broke it in two and the pitcher looked ready to piss on himself. 

Maybe something needs to snap in Davis to make him play with an edge and show some emotion.

I don't know what showing some emotion has to do with his on the field performance.  Like mdbdotcom stated earlier in this thread, I think he overthinks things when he's at the plate.

I do love his breaking the bat, though!  :)

4 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

I don't know what showing some emotion has to do with his on the field performance.  Like mdbdotcom stated earlier in this thread, I think he overthinks things when he's at the plate.

I do love his breaking the bat, though!  :)

Not saying he has to break hit bat everytime, but he seems so..."Blah" right now. Like a strike out looking or swinging doesn't bother him. Maybe a bit of heart and being pissed at a bad performance would lead to him actually swinging and maybe putting more balls in play.

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Not saying he has to break hit bat everytime, but he seems so..."Blah" right now. Like a strike out looking or swinging doesn't bother him. Maybe a bit of heart and being pissed at a bad performance would lead to him actually swinging and maybe putting more balls in play.

If you read Roch's new column, which Frobby referenced above, it appears as if he's looking to swing the bat a little earlier in the count.   I think that could really help him out.

On 1/5/2018 at 4:18 PM, Frobby said:

You mean the non-existent thread?  Nobody in the history of Baseball or fandom has ever said that.  

Walks are good.   Not as good as singles most of the time.    You might argue that a 10-pitch leadoff walk is better than a one-pitch leadoff single that is fielded cleanly.    

I thought I had remember somebody saying something silly in the thread about walks being better than homeruns.

Ah, the old......."Player X isn't playing well right now.........must be because he just doesn't care!" argument.

Have to admit that's one of my least favorite logical fallacies that gets trotted out 5,649 times per season.

35 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Ah, the old......."Player X isn't playing well right now.........must be because he just doesn't care!" argument.

Have to admit that's one of my least favorite logical fallacies that gets trotted out 5,649 times per season.

Oh, I think he cares. I think he has lost his bat speed for whatever reason. Maybe he did something to enhance it before he earned 161 million.

36 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Chris Davis is the only person who would lose out from a PED suspension again.  And I think he will make certain that he does not. 

Archived