How Come The Brewers Can Make An Offer For Darvish And Not The Orioles?

ORIOLE33

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Yes they really was, 1 game down and 19 to play, gave them room, hindsight, they didnt take advantage of that.

I didn't say they were one game out of the wildcard hunt, I said they were one game below .500.  They were 6 games behind the Twins for the second wild card on that date and needed to pass the Royals, Angels, Rangers and Twins. They weren't close.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Exactly. We were still very much involved until we completely fell apart.

Do you really think being six games out of the second wild card (and behind four other teams vying for it) on September 10 is "very much involved?"

10 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

They were very much alive late. Wouldn’t going into September be considered late? It’s not as if our season was pretty much over in August. We were still playing meaningful games come September.

Which beats being out of the mix, in late May/Early June.

The brewers are 3 years into a proper rebuild and the Orioles are on the back end of a window in which they hope to "reload."

What they don't realize is small market teams, or teams run like small market teams, don't reload.  Reloading takes money, what SF is doing is reloading, taking on salary and giving up little in return in terms of prospects.

If the Orioles were doing things properly they would have traded Manny and wouldn't even be looking at darvish because that's not where the organization is competitively.  

Signing Darvish doesn't make sense because that's not economically good baseball, the value of the player won't equal the value of the deal.  But because the Orioles have premised not trading Manny on having a competitive season we are asking "why not darvish?"

Also the Orioles probably look at the money Darvish will get and say if we wait out the market maybe we can get 3 players for the same money.  I don't know if that will work this year.

19 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

They were very much alive late. Wouldn’t going into September be considered late? It’s not as if our season was pretty much over in August. We were still playing meaningful games come September.

They were alive until they lost 6 in a row beginning 9/7. Then, they were dead.

14 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Which beats being out of the mix, in late May/Early June.

Does it really matter? Finishing in last place is finishing in last place. It should have been a wake up call for this team and it wasn't. And the Yankees, Red Sox and Blue Jays have all made off season moves to get better whereas the Orioles have not. People aren't giving the Jays enough credit for the Diaz and Grichuk trades (Solarte signing). They were very savvy moves. It also seem inevitable that JD Martinez signs with the Red Sox. Even if the Orioles start out hot (i.e., in contention in May/June) this team, as constructed, is destined to battle it out for last place with the Rays. And I'd probably give the edge to the Rays because they have much better pitching. 

A few reasons , just from the last few years, why it might not be a good idea to give a pitcher over the age of 30 a big contract:

1. Jordan Zimmerman (5/$110MM)

2. James Shields (4/$75MM)

3. Matt Cain (5/$112MM)

4. Wei-Yin Chen (5/$80MM)

5. Adam Wainwright (5/$97.5MM)

6. Homer Bailey (6/$105MM)

7. Jeff Samardzija (5/$90MM)

8. Ian Kennedy (5/$70MM)

9. David Price, possibly (7/$217MM)

...and last, but certainly not least:

10. Ubaldo Jimenez (4/$50MM)

On the good side - Max Scherzer's, Verlander's, and Hamels' deals look solid. Felix Hernandez, Zach Greinke, and Jon Lester have performed well at the beginning of their contracts - but the end of their contracts looks bleak.

32 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Yes they really was, 1 game down and 19 to play, gave them room, hindsight, they didnt take advantage of that.

30 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Exactly. We were still very much involved until we completely fell apart.

27 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I didn't say they were one game out of the wildcard hunt, I said they were one game below .500.  They were 6 games behind the Twins for the second wild card on that date and needed to pass the Royals, Angels, Rangers and Twins. They weren't close.

12 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Per BP, our odds of making the playoffs never got higher than 10.9% during August/September.   That high point was on Sept. 3 when the O’s were 70-67, one game out of the second wild card (two games out in the loss column and tied with the Angels).   The following week we went 1-5 and our odds went to 3.4%, and then a second week at 2-5 dropped the odds to 0.5%.     

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Per BP, our odds of making the playoffs never got higher than 10.9% during August/September.   That high point was on Sept. 3 when the O’s were 70-67, one game out of the second wild card (two games out in the loss column and tied with the Angels).   The following week we went 1-5 and our odds went to 3.4%, and then a second week at 2-5 dropped the odds to 0.5%.     

Thank goodness BP is there. As they lost more games the percentage seems to have dropped. I never would have guessed.

4 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I can’t wait until everyone in management is gone. Buck included. 

I agree. Maybe it's Buck that's telling Angelos not to agree to signing Cobb or Lynn? I have to wonder who the hell is the GM of the O's? Buck or DD? 

Archived