JJ Cooper of Baseball America on Hays, Sisco and how the O's may have 5 on the 100 list by mid season

wildcard

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

I certainly believe in Harvey, if healthy.    I’m in “show me” mode with DJ Hall.    I hope he justifies Cooper’s high opinion of him.   

DJ Hall looks good. Sedlock could bounce back if they let him pitch like he did in college. Guy I was high on was Alex Faedo, who went to the Tigers last draft. That dude is a stud. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

DJ Hall looks good. Sedlock could bounce back if they let him pitch like he did in college. Guy I was high on was Alex Faedo, who went to the Tigers last draft. That dude is a stud. 

Again, I've written this before, but I'll repeat, the Orioles didn't change his delivery.  They are working to change it back actually.  I'm harsh on the team when it's deserved, I'm pretty confident it wasn't their fault in this case.

13 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Call me when we get an Acuna/Vlad Jr. talent.

These guys are good but they can easily bomb, too.

I thought this was a little if not even pretty harsh. But then I thought about it and looked at BA's top 100 list. 

Braves 8
Brewers 6
Padres 6
Rays 6
Yankees 6
Phillies 5
Reds 5
Twins 5
White Sox 5
Astros 4
Athletics 4
Blue Jays 4
Cardinals 4
Dodgers 4
Angels 3
Orioles 3

It's good that the Orioles are on the list, not every team is represented, but the Orioles are still a middle of the road maybe just above average/median in most respects. The minor league system seems to have improved, but it would be nice if the O's could move up this list, substantially. 

50 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I thought this was a little if not even pretty harsh. But then I thought about it and looked at BA's top 100 list. 

Braves 8
Brewers 6
Padres 6
Rays 6
Yankees 6
Phillies 5
Reds 5
Twins 5
White Sox 5
Astros 4
Athletics 4
Blue Jays 4
Cardinals 4
Dodgers 4
Angels 3
Orioles 3

It's good that the Orioles are on the list, not every team is represented, but the Orioles are still a middle of the road maybe just above average/median in most respects. The minor league system seems to have improved, but it would be nice if the O's could move up this list, substantially. 

Well, it was meant to be harsh.

There's value in getting guys that you can count on to play day in and day out but aren't All-Stars, there's no doubt about that.  But when the Orioles refuse to play heavily in international waters and miss out on guys like an Acuna or a Vlad Jr, well...I've got an issue and fans should be harsh.  When you see franchises like the Phillies, Reds and Brewers have higher rankings...it's like, come on...

Even setting that aside, this is as good as the Orioles system can hope to do.  I can't even remember the last time any publication, anywhere had the Orioles system ranked in the top 10.  It just doesn't happen.  Might have been way back when Wieters was an exciting prospect but that's all I can think of.

On top of that, I think we, as a fanbase, overrate our prospects.  This is probably selective memory but I think we were hyping the guys in "The Calvary" 9_9 more than anyone else.  

Well harsh sometimes is honest.  But, honestly it is good to be mentioned at all with 3 and the fact that they readily admit that there are others who were in the conversation represents improvement.  Just imagine how good we could do if we could play in the international market.....

But I will take the good news unfiltered.  Then simply ask for more!

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Even setting that aside, this is as good as the Orioles system can hope to do.  I can't even remember the last time any publication, anywhere had the Orioles system ranked in the top 10.  It just doesn't happen.  Might have been way back when Wieters was an exciting prospect but that's all I can think of.

Baseball America had the system ranked 8th in 2010 and 9th in 2009. 

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

There's value in getting guys that you can count on to play day in and day out but aren't All-Stars, there's no doubt about that.  But when the Orioles refuse to play heavily in international waters and miss out on guys like an Acuna or a Vlad Jr, well...I've got an issue and fans should be harsh.  When you see franchises like the Phillies, Reds and Brewers have higher rankings...it's like, come on...

On top of that, I think we, as a fanbase, overrate our prospects.  This is probably selective memory but I think we were hyping the guys in "The Calvary" 9_9 more than anyone else.  

Sir,

I believe the Orioles manager was responsible for that moniker and the media ran crazy with it, and yes, the fans loved it, we sucked, it was faint hope at best, that there was light at the end of a very dark tunnel.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Yep, I posted in one thread that the Orioles system is the strongest it's been since the period after the Bedard trade (IMO).

Can't even build it right on our own, we've gotta trade a pitcher and get 5 back to get ranked that high.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Baseball America had the system ranked 8th in 2010 and 9th in 2009. 

Entirely too long.  Especially with the money and the resources that we have.  It's naive to think that we can always be a top 10 system but it's been almost 10 years since we were last considered one.  That's a joke.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Sir,

I believe the Orioles manager was responsible for that moniker and the media ran crazy with it, and yes, the fans loved it, we sucked, it was faint hope at best, that there was light at the end of a very dark tunnel.

Maybe he was but those guys just weren't that great.  

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm pretty sure it was a church group that was hyping the Calvary.  ;)

5 minutes ago, BirdinBama said:

I was just thinking, which is a dangerous thing. Our system has been much maligned, but then I think about Manny, Mancini, Schoop, Bundy, Gausman....all products of our system. Is it that bad?

Three of those names were top five picks.  While of course it is possible to miss with picks that high your odds are better.

7 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I certainly believe in Harvey, if healthy.    I’m in “show me” mode with DJ Hall.    I hope he justifies Cooper’s high opinion of him.   

Gentlemen, the man's name is DL Hall, not DJ.

Archived