Jump to content

JJ Cooper of Baseball America on Hays, Sisco and how the O's may have 5 on the 100 list by mid season


wildcard

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

I certainly believe in Harvey, if healthy.    I’m in “show me” mode with DJ Hall.    I hope he justifies Cooper’s high opinion of him.   

DJ Hall looks good. Sedlock could bounce back if they let him pitch like he did in college. Guy I was high on was Alex Faedo, who went to the Tigers last draft. That dude is a stud. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

DJ Hall looks good. Sedlock could bounce back if they let him pitch like he did in college. Guy I was high on was Alex Faedo, who went to the Tigers last draft. That dude is a stud. 

Again, I've written this before, but I'll repeat, the Orioles didn't change his delivery.  They are working to change it back actually.  I'm harsh on the team when it's deserved, I'm pretty confident it wasn't their fault in this case.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Call me when we get an Acuna/Vlad Jr. talent.

These guys are good but they can easily bomb, too.

I thought this was a little if not even pretty harsh. But then I thought about it and looked at BA's top 100 list. 

Braves 8
Brewers 6
Padres 6
Rays 6
Yankees 6
Phillies 5
Reds 5
Twins 5
White Sox 5
Astros 4
Athletics 4
Blue Jays 4
Cardinals 4
Dodgers 4
Angels 3
Orioles 3

 

It's good that the Orioles are on the list, not every team is represented, but the Orioles are still a middle of the road maybe just above average/median in most respects. The minor league system seems to have improved, but it would be nice if the O's could move up this list, substantially. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I thought this was a little if not even pretty harsh. But then I thought about it and looked at BA's top 100 list. 

Braves 8
Brewers 6
Padres 6
Rays 6
Yankees 6
Phillies 5
Reds 5
Twins 5
White Sox 5
Astros 4
Athletics 4
Blue Jays 4
Cardinals 4
Dodgers 4
Angels 3
Orioles 3

 

It's good that the Orioles are on the list, not every team is represented, but the Orioles are still a middle of the road maybe just above average/median in most respects. The minor league system seems to have improved, but it would be nice if the O's could move up this list, substantially. 

Well, it was meant to be harsh.

There's value in getting guys that you can count on to play day in and day out but aren't All-Stars, there's no doubt about that.  But when the Orioles refuse to play heavily in international waters and miss out on guys like an Acuna or a Vlad Jr, well...I've got an issue and fans should be harsh.  When you see franchises like the Phillies, Reds and Brewers have higher rankings...it's like, come on...

Even setting that aside, this is as good as the Orioles system can hope to do.  I can't even remember the last time any publication, anywhere had the Orioles system ranked in the top 10.  It just doesn't happen.  Might have been way back when Wieters was an exciting prospect but that's all I can think of.

On top of that, I think we, as a fanbase, overrate our prospects.  This is probably selective memory but I think we were hyping the guys in "The Calvary" 9_9 more than anyone else.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well harsh sometimes is honest.  But, honestly it is good to be mentioned at all with 3 and the fact that they readily admit that there are others who were in the conversation represents improvement.  Just imagine how good we could do if we could play in the international market.....

But I will take the good news unfiltered.  Then simply ask for more!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

 

Even setting that aside, this is as good as the Orioles system can hope to do.  I can't even remember the last time any publication, anywhere had the Orioles system ranked in the top 10.  It just doesn't happen.  Might have been way back when Wieters was an exciting prospect but that's all I can think of.

Baseball America had the system ranked 8th in 2010 and 9th in 2009. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, it was meant to be harsh.

There's value in getting guys that you can count on to play day in and day out but aren't All-Stars, there's no doubt about that.  But when the Orioles refuse to play heavily in international waters and miss out on guys like an Acuna or a Vlad Jr, well...I've got an issue and fans should be harsh.  When you see franchises like the Phillies, Reds and Brewers have higher rankings...it's like, come on...

Even setting that aside, this is as good as the Orioles system can hope to do.  I can't even remember the last time any publication, anywhere had the Orioles system ranked in the top 10.  It just doesn't happen.  Might have been way back when Wieters was an exciting prospect but that's all I can think of.

On top of that, I think we, as a fanbase, overrate our prospects.  This is probably selective memory but I think we were hyping the guys in "The Calvary" 9_9 more than anyone else.  

Sir,

I believe the Orioles manager was responsible for that moniker and the media ran crazy with it, and yes, the fans loved it, we sucked, it was faint hope at best, that there was light at the end of a very dark tunnel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Yep, I posted in one thread that the Orioles system is the strongest it's been since the period after the Bedard trade (IMO).

Can't even build it right on our own, we've gotta trade a pitcher and get 5 back to get ranked that high.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Baseball America had the system ranked 8th in 2010 and 9th in 2009. 

Entirely too long.  Especially with the money and the resources that we have.  It's naive to think that we can always be a top 10 system but it's been almost 10 years since we were last considered one.  That's a joke.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Sir,

I believe the Orioles manager was responsible for that moniker and the media ran crazy with it, and yes, the fans loved it, we sucked, it was faint hope at best, that there was light at the end of a very dark tunnel.

Maybe he was but those guys just weren't that great.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, it was meant to be harsh.

There's value in getting guys that you can count on to play day in and day out but aren't All-Stars, there's no doubt about that.  But when the Orioles refuse to play heavily in international waters and miss out on guys like an Acuna or a Vlad Jr, well...I've got an issue and fans should be harsh.  When you see franchises like the Phillies, Reds and Brewers have higher rankings...it's like, come on...

Even setting that aside, this is as good as the Orioles system can hope to do.  I can't even remember the last time any publication, anywhere had the Orioles system ranked in the top 10.  It just doesn't happen.  Might have been way back when Wieters was an exciting prospect but that's all I can think of.

On top of that, I think we, as a fanbase, overrate our prospects.  This is probably selective memory but I think we were hyping the guys in "The Calvary" 9_9 more than anyone else.  

I'm pretty sure it was a church group that was hyping the Calvary.  ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BirdinBama said:

I was just thinking, which is a dangerous thing. Our system has been much maligned, but then I think about Manny, Mancini, Schoop, Bundy, Gausman....all products of our system. Is it that bad?

Three of those names were top five picks.  While of course it is possible to miss with picks that high your odds are better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

DJ Hall looks good. Sedlock could bounce back if they let him pitch like he did in college. Guy I was high on was Alex Faedo, who went to the Tigers last draft. That dude is a stud. 

Quote

I certainly believe in Harvey, if healthy.    I’m in “show me” mode with DJ Hall.    I hope he justifies Cooper’s high opinion of him.   

Gentlemen, the man's name is DL Hall, not DJ.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


  • Posts

    • Matt Chapman to Giants 3 years 54 million.  Opt out after each season.  
    • Mountcastle was 10th in the AL in OPS in the 2nd half. That was post vertigo. With the WALL as a RHH. Only Ohtani, Casas, Seager, Tucker, Diaz, Witt, Rodriguez, Bregman, and Devers, had a higher 2nd half OPS. Pretty good company. 
    • On Draftkings, Kjerstad is the 9th favorite for AL ROY at +2200 Cowser is the 14th favorite for AL ROY at +3500
    • Funny, because I would say waiving other CF AAAA depth would mean that there is no reason to keep another backup CF around because McKenna is that guy. I also think Daniel Johnson must look good enough in camp to get rid of Burdick/Hilliard. It’s also interesting that we’ve only lost 4 players off waivers this offseason. Two of those were CF options. I don’t think the world of McKenna, but he’s a good bench option as being RH to a LH Mullins. 
    • I’ve arrived in Sarasota and will wear my Eddie Murray shirt to tomorrow’s game! Will save the Jones Jersey for Monday. So excited to be here!
    • LABR's AL only room tonight guessed confidence Ryan O'Hearn's playing time is secure over these two. An authentic Lowenstein is useful and the young DH/OF guys would be challenged early to outplay it. But if you feel like it was lightning in a bottle and even Mountcastle as a 1st round pick you happen to have but don't really like is someone you want to invest more in, then.... Only O'Hearn really stands in the way of 1B Mountcastle, DH Kjerstad (or Cowser) playing near enough to everyday.     Mountcastle should be getting towards those 10000 hours of practice to be really good at 1B defense, right? I wouldn't be shocked if a couple years back Elias could send mischievous texts to the Padres like, "we know you have to cut Jorge Mateo, and we're just waiting", and now the circle completes and Colorado or Chicago get to say "we know you have to cut Ryan O'Hearn and Ramon Urias, and we're just waiting (and no they can't be small pieces in your Dylan Cease bid)." Before Santander departs, the path is really more through the first basemen.    DL Hall being in the first big deal Elias actually closed hints to me Mountcastle could be next.    Mountcastle trade value in this slow market is constrained by JD Martinez or Brandon Belt hanging around wondering if they'll get jobs.     Belt may end up playing for less than the 1/4 Mountcastle will command in Arb1 this year.    Carlos Santana made it to ~$5M, a number Arb2 Mountcastle probably blows past for 2025 with a decent season. An early Mountcastle trade and O'Hearn fade could open a path for 1B Santander, RF Cowser, DH Kjerstad even (or however those 3 best defend those positions, probably something different every day based on the arms, bats, ballpark and weather that day. I still have hopes Mountcastle becomes a more significant contributor, but while we wait out Mayo and Basallo, Elias' most "My Guys" lineup in early 2024 might be like: SS Gunnar, C Adley, 1B Santander, LF Hays, DH Kjerstad, CF Mullins, 3B Westburg, RF Cowser, 2B Holliday
    • Surpised they still haven't started Westburg at 2B once yet this spring training after 8 games. He projects as the starting 2nd basemen on opening day.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...