TT: Could the Orioles be Prepping to be Sold?

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m sure that’s wrong.    I’ve been a member since late 2003.   They must not have the older posts.   It would be really interesting to know what my first post was about.    Probably about wanting to sign Vlad Guerrero.

I wanted them to sign Guerrero. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, SteveA said:

I mean it's great he said that, but I wouldn't bank on a statement made in a newspaper interview a quarter of a century ago, when he is trying to secure the future for his family.

But I think the concern about Baltimore losing the team is overwrought.   Camden Yards is still considered one of the top stadiums in the nation, we have a great history of support.   If Tampa and Oakland can't lose their teams, there's no way we can.

I don't think it's that crazy for the O's to leave Baltimore with a new owner. Camden Yards is 26 years old. Baltimore is growing smaller every year and there are lots of cities that are growing very quickly every year.

That said, I agree with your point about Tampa and Oakland. And, the whispers of expansion probably help keep the O's in Baltimore.

1 hour ago, theocean said:

I don't think it's that crazy for the O's to leave Baltimore with a new owner. Camden Yards is 26 years old. Baltimore is growing smaller every year and there are lots of cities that are growing very quickly every year.

That said, I agree with your point about Tampa and Oakland. And, the whispers of expansion probably help keep the O's in Baltimore.

Baltimore may be losing people, but the metro area has more and more every year so I don't see the team moving out regardless. Plus, major league baseball is much different than the NFL when it comes to teams moving cities. 

Be patient folks.

The only thing different this year is the FA market has been very slow.

DD will do what he always does, wait for every team in MLB to settle their roster, and than overpay for a couple FA's that would otherwise go unsigned.

Come April 1st we will have a top 15 payroll, with last place talent, then we can wait for the trade deadline where we would obviously be sellers but we won't sell.

Same old some old, and back to decades of irrelevance.

45 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Baltimore may be losing people, but the metro area has more and more every year so I don't see the team moving out regardless. Plus, major league baseball is much different than the NFL when it comes to teams moving cities. 

I told Weams the same thing the other day, I do not see this team leaving the city, regardless of whose the owner is.

There are just no open baseball markets right now to support a team in such a way to make them move.

After thinking about this more, there are really three things that could be going on:

1) The Orioles are being prepped for sale

2) Angelos is planning on bringing in a new regime and wants them to be able to pick their manager and players going forward

3) The Orioles are a rudderless ship with no real plan other than to tread water and hope to catch lightening in a bottle.

Thoughts? 

Just now, Tony-OH said:

After thinking about this more, there are really three things that could be going on:

2) Angelos is planning on bringing in a new regime and wants them to be able to pick their manager and players going forward

3) The Orioles are a rudderless ship with no real plan other than to tread water and hope to catch lightening in a bottle.

Thoughts? 

Angelos learned zero lessons from 14 years of losing.

None, not a teachable moment in the whole lot.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Thoughts? 

1 - Everything said over the years, the sons were being prepped to take over the team.

2 - This doesn't fly too well, with the past, lets win one more, before I die MOI they have been operating under.

3 - I think this is pretty much it, they did really well in the rule 5 drafts, and signing a few cheap bodies here and there for depth, but even arbitration negotiations with their own players, drug out and took too damn long.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

they moved from ST in tents and parking lots to a real facility.

How is that a lesson learned?

He held out and forced his players to be vagabonds in order to milk the best deal possible out of a Florida town.

He eventually got what he wanted.

If anything that reinforces bad behavior.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

How is that a lesson learned?

He held out and forced his players to be vagabonds in order to milk the best deal possible out of a Florida town.

He eventually got what he wanted.

If anything that reinforces bad behavior.

At a cost, he had to open up his wallet and dump money, it wasn't all handled to him.

Archived