NEED one of the Big Three Pitchers Left

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Il BuonO said:

Hence, the first sentence of my last paragraph. 

I hope that both Arrieta and Cobb sign somewhere very quickly so the “ going for it” in 2018 mantra from the Warehouse is finally shown to be the PR ruse it has been from the beginning.  

Didn’t they also offer a two year deal to someone early on in the offseason? I’m thinking Fister....Anyway, if they offered Lynn a two year deal, why? Why not offer him more on a one year deal with incentives? If he wants to re-establish value then he doesn’t want more than a year.

On Cashner alone the incentives take it up to what, $40m?

43 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Didn’t they also offer a two year deal to someone early on in the offseason? I’m thinking Fister....

Mike Fiers. Who stinks. It's like DD is only attracted to pitchers with garbage numbers or scary peripherals.

55 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Two left; Twins are our. What is Arrieta and Cobb's market now?

There's a big difference in what their market might be from a winning team that is contending for a playoff spot and what it might be from the Orioles.  If the O's offer Arrieta 2 years at $20mm per year with a vesting option for an additional two years that kicks in if he makes 50 starts in the first two years, they might have a chance. The potential to make 4/80 could look pretty good to him right now, because no one wants to give him more than three years.

10 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

There's a big difference in what their market might be from a winning team that is contending for a playoff spot and what it might be from the Orioles.  If the O's offer Arrieta 2 years at $20mm per year with a vesting option for an additional two years that kicks in if he makes 50 starts in the first two years, they might have a chance. The potential to make 4/80 could look pretty good to him right now, because no one wants to give him more than three years.

Not bad, I had suggested 1/$20, but he may realize things have changed and go with more years for security. Even if he comes back strong this year a $5/$100 deal may not be there.

Otoh, Kershaw is likely to work something out with the Dodgers, so who else is in next year’s FA class he’d be competing with for dollars?

And of course if he doesn’t perform he’s really hurt himself. I don’t expect that though.

The more this offseason plays out, the more I think there must be some truth to Tony's hypothesis that the O's are preparing to be sold.    to reduce payroll and pass on so many free agent pitchers ahead of a season where we have one more shot with Machado just does not make sense.  

18 hours ago, tntoriole said:

I hope that both Arrieta and Cobb sign somewhere very quickly so the “ going for it” in 2018 mantra from the Warehouse is finally shown to be the PR ruse it has been from the beginning.  

Any of those three might have given the Orioles a shot to be in playoff contention. My guess is (they won't say it publicly) the plan is to have a big sell off at the deadline. No way we're in "going for it" mode with the moves we've made. Any fool can see that. I wonder if that also means Buck is gone after this year too.

54 minutes ago, connja said:

The more this offseason plays out, the more I think there must be some truth to Tony's hypothesis that the O's are preparing to be sold.    to reduce payroll and pass on so many free agent pitchers ahead of a season where we have one more shot with Machado just does not make sense.  

May very well be it, I agree. Maybe to their way of thinking, keeping Manny for pure marquee / attendance draw is their prime concern with him now as opposed to winning when they know they aren’t spending on anything of significance  before opening day and are priming for a sale. 

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

With the way Cashner looked today and then you add Cobb.  I can buy into the Orioles having a fighting chance at a wildcard.  

Not that the Orioles ever get lucky, but with a little luck maybe this Hunter Harvey kid can find a good, healthy season in the minors and have something to give the O's midway through the season.

Archived