NEED one of the Big Three Pitchers Left

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Yes I agree on both fronts but this is the bare minimum for me to have any positive feelings about this season.

I get where you’re coming from, but I’ll find a way to gin up some level of hope by the time Opening Day arrives.     Especially if one of our younger guys really steps up in spring training, rather than just getting a rotation spot by default.   Even though objectively ST results don’t mean much, I’m capable of drawing optimism from them.

I think even if we don't expect to contend, we should target Lynn.  

We still need innings eaters, and Lynn is one of the best in the business.  Even if we have a total fire sale at the deadline, he would be a useful veteran to retain (if he isn't traded) to shepherd the next crop of youngsters.  He's a steady, solid guy who's never gone less than 175 innings and his peripherals have remains consistent the last few years.  He may struggle a bit in the AL but should still be able to post a WHIP under 1.4 and ERA in the low 4s.  

If we are looking at or for silver linings...there is the following:

In an offseason where we struggled to improve the team with anything other than dipping deeply but efficiently into the Rule V well...

The Orioles have given out no outrageous contracts.  Furthermore while they have failed to trade established players for younger ones, they also have managed to not trade young players for question marks.  And we are now only two starting pitchers emerging and a couple of bouceback seasons from being in the playoffs baby!!!!

I think this team needs one of Cobb or Lynn - my preference is Cobb since he's shown to be able to pitch in the AL East. They also need to go after Jarrod Dyson. Make these two acquisitions and I would feel pretty good about the Orioles chances at a wild card. And for me personally it would also restore a lot of lost faith in the organization.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Dream on.    I put the odds of getting one at 10%, and the chance of getting two at 0.00%.    

I’m under no pretense it’s going to happen, but it’s the only way I’ll think this team has an outside shot at a wild card game. They need 2 more legitimate starters.

Just now, Babypowder said:

I’m under no pretense it’s going to happen, but it’s the only way I’ll think this team has an outside shot at a wild card game. They need 2 more legitimate starters.

They need someone to step up.    I mean a couple of things by that.    Someone internal doing a respectable job in the back end, and Bundy and/or Gausman raising their game a notch or two.   Especially Gausman; Bundy’s ERA wasn’t outstanding but he pitched a good game much more often than not.    

Archived