Tillman back. Are we happy?

esmd

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Tillman has a normal season he will earn 6.5m.  3m base plus 3.5m in incentives.   That means he would have pitch 175 innings.   He pitched 173 in 2015 and 172 in 2016.  He has not pitched 200 innings since 2014.   The 190 inning and 200 inning incentive targets look hard for him to reach.  They are worth 3.5m.

It is clearly a win-win contract for the Orioles. And I am sure that the Orioles hope to pay Tillman 10M for 2018, because that will mean he is back and at 100%. That's the best case scenario for Tillman and the team. The worst case for both parties is 3 M and done.

31 minutes ago, theobird said:

It is clearly a win-win contract for the Orioles. And I am sure that the Orioles hope to pay Tillman 10M for 2018, because that will mean he is back and at 100%. That's the best case scenario for Tillman and the team. The worst case for both parties is 3 M and done.

Actually, if he sucks, they DFA, they dont owe him 3m, just a prorated portion. Right?

7 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Actually, if he sucks, they DFA, they dont owe him 3m, just a prorated portion. Right?

Players who are on arbitration (unless specified at the time of the agreement), Minor League or split contracts are not fully guaranteed their salaries.

Players on arbitration contracts who are cut on or before the 16th day of Spring Training are owed 30 days' termination pay (based on the prorated version of his agreed-upon arbitration salary). A player cut between the 16th day and the end of Spring Training is owed 45 days' termination pay (based on the prorated version of his agreed-upon arbitration salary).

I read that as saying Tillman's contract is guaranteed in full and the O's would have to pay his full salary.

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/non-guaranteed-contract

14 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Pretty sure its guaranteed $$, but ya know what with what pitching costs really are in MLB I don't have a and issue with it. I think it's still 50 50 he makes a succesful come back, but if he does it will be a difference maker for this team.

A 3 mil gamble is chump change in MLB $$ for pitching. B| hoping what the O''s and Buck have seen of him is for real

Just now, TouchemAll said:

Pretty sure its guaranteed $$, but ya know what with what pitching costs really are in MLB I don't have a and issue with it. I think it's still 50 50 he makes a succesful come back, but if he does it will be a difference maker for this team.

A 3 mil gamble is chump change in MLB $$ for pitching. B|

True

Archived