Colby Rasmus (Update: O's sign him to minor league deal)

Going Underground

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not sure the Orioles think Hays is ready for full-time work in the big leagues. Remember, he has only spent half a year above Single-A. Is it truly crazy to consider that he might need more minor league at bats still? If he's not in right field, are you comfortable with Santander out there full time? Rasmus is probably a better option right now than both against right-handed pitching. 

Everyone should have figured out by now that Santander is going to be on the opening day 25-man, and if he falters he will be sent down as soon as he is locked in the program, and replaced by Hays.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I hear ya, but how does that alter anything I said? Presley clearly will be competing for a spot along with Brugman if he's not claimed (I doubt he will). As for the fre agents, have the Orioles even been in the mix for guys that could make a difference? So far they've signed Cashner, Tillman and Presley and are talking with Rasmus and Feldman..

How is that reading too much into anything? 

Your not ...they are all trash signings.

Rasmus another low lifetime OBP guy .311. So when DD mentioned getting on base more he obviously wasn't talking about Rasmus. 

John Jay would've been the move.....Cashner isn't terrible but Tillman. Cobb has had success in the AL and we could get a deal. We just can't ever seem to make the right move.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Your not ...they are all trash signings.

Rasmus another low lifetime OBP guy .311. So when DD mentioned getting on base more he obviously wasn't talking about Rasmus. 

John Jay would've been the move.....Cashner isn't terrible but Tillman. Cobb has had success in the AL and we could get a deal. We just can't ever seem to make the right move.

What happens if Tillman has a bounce back year and pitches well, are you going to give DD and Buck credit?

Cashner was ranked as the 5th best SP on the FA market.

Rasmus is just a MIL guy with ST invite and see if he can play himself onto the roster.

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

Nice hyperbole.

Let's not forget that in order to make the Carlos Gomez addition, the team DFA'ed Corey Dickerson (granted more DH than OF) and traded away Souza.

That's why I said in my previous post that the additions "in a vacuum" show the Orioles with the worst addition.  Obviously the rays have taken more than few steps back.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

DBacks over spent for Souza.

Drury is a sneaky good acquisition for the Yankees.  Only 24, good season last year, will mostly play 3B.  Reminds me a bit of the Didi Gregorius signing.  But Souza was 3-4 win player last season.

Banda looks like a LH reliever.

2 hours ago, crawjo said:

This is a good deal. Rasmus has real upside and could end up being a valuable piece for us this year. This is the type of Duquette move that sometimes pans out nicely. 

Absolutely.  Good defense, good power.  If he took time away from baseball, he may have gotten himself right.  And since it's a minor league deal, the Orioles can still add more competition.  I've got no complaints about this move by itself.

1 minute ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Drury is a sneaky good acquisition for the Yankees.  Only 24, good season last year, will mostly play 3B.  Reminds me a bit of the Didi Gregorius signing.  But Souza was 3-4 win player last season.

Banda looks like a LH reliever.

They traded for Didi.

The Yankees, Diamondbacks and Tigers have officially announced a three-team trade sending shortstop Didi Gregorius from the D-Backs to the Yankees, right-hander Shane Greene from the Yankees to the Tigers, and left-hander Robbie Ray and infield prospect Domingo Leyba to the Diamondbacks.

2 hours ago, nadecir said:

Yankees add  Giancarlo Stanton.
Red Sox add J.D. Martinez.

Orioles sign Colby Rasmus.  Yep, just another typical offseason in the AL East.

Ha.

The Orioles comparison would be the starting pitcher.  Like oh, Lance Lynn?  Please sign Lance Lynn.  Or trade Machado for Giolito or Kopech?

Archived