Colby Rasmus (Update: O's sign him to minor league deal)

Going Underground

34 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

What happens if Tillman has a bounce back year and pitches well, are you going to give DD and Buck credit?

Cashner was ranked as the 5th best SP on the FA market.

Rasmus is just a MIL guy with ST invite and see if he can play himself onto the roster.

Let's be real here about Cashner being the 5th best SP on the free agent market.  There's a steep dropoff between someone like Arietta, Darvish and then Cashner.  Because you're the 5th best SP out of a market that's top heavy doesn't mean you're really that good.  He's a possible step up from Miley but most anyone should be.  

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

What happens if Tillman has a bounce back year and pitches well, are you going to give DD and Buck credit?

Rasmus is just a MIL guy with ST invite and see if he can play himself onto the roster.

I hear what you're saying here, but Dan rolled the dice on Tillman based on two things: 1) they've seen him throw and like what they see, and 2) they can't afford to lock down any of the big 3.

So, they did the best with what they could and figured he was as good a bet as anyone left on the FA market that they could afford. So, IMO, if Tillman is good it won't be so much a savvy signing as a lucky one. Because PA backed them into a corner with his no-4-year-deals philosophy.

That said, I hope he's good and at least we can have a bit of confidence that the folks paid to evaluate pitchers got one right.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I hear what you're saying here, but Dan rolled the dice on Tillman based on two things: 1) they've seen him throw and like what they see, and 2) they can't afford to lock down any of the big 3.

So, they did the best with what they could and figured he was as good a bet as anyone left on the FA market that they could afford. So, IMO, if Tillman is good it won't be so much a savvy signing as a lucky one. Because PA backed them into a corner with his no-4-year-deals philosophy.

That said, I hope he's good and at least we can have a bit of confidence that the folks paid to evaluate pitchers got one right.

They rolled the dice with Tillman because...he was there. Literally at their training facility. And despite the four year restrictions they could have improved their rotation via trades. Other teams were certainly able to. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

They rolled the dice with Tillman because...he was there. Literally at their training facility. And despite the four year restrictions they could have improved their rotation via trades. Other teams were certainly able to. 

No argument there.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

No, I will not be giving Dook (nor Buck) credit if Tillman pitches well. But I will give Tillman his props.

Rasmus is the Orioles 2018 starting rightfielder, like it or not.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That might be ok with RHP, but Rasmus should not be starting against southpaws. 

I used the terminology because 2/3 of innings pitched are by righties. Rasmus plays 2/3 of the time, thus he is what I would consider the starting rightfielder over the part of the platoon that only plays 1/3 of the time.

Just now, Beef Supreme said:

I used the terminology because 2/3 of innings pitched are by righties. Rasmus plays 2/3 of the time, thus he is what I would consider the starting rightfielder over the part of the platoon that only plays 1/3 of the time.

The all time team strikeout record might be broken if Trumbo, Davis and Rasmus don't get injured or benched this season.  

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That might be ok with RHP, but Rasmus should not be starting against southpaws.  

I'm sure he won't. 

He's essential Chris Davis against them.

Total    vs L as L    526    928    1044    196    123    35    5    33    46    109    97    0    288    8    5    6    9    1    1    .211

Just now, Luke-OH said:

I think assuming Rasmus is going to make the team is extremely premature, he's on a minor league deal and who knows what he's got left.

Maybe the Orioles will sign an MLB ready lefty outfielder. Otherwise, if Rasmus has healed from the hip surgery, he is a lock to come north with the squad in April.

Archived