Place yer bets! (aka, the Pete Rose thread)

Moose Milligan

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

What happens if you take the over today, and the Orioles acquire Alex Cobb tomorrow ???

Does the bet stand as is ???

o

Confirming what others have said. When you get your bet down, the terms of the bet are printed on your slip and fixed at that time -- just like an NFL game or a horse race. I'm usually out there for a few days shortly before the season starts and place my bet then. I've never thought about the timing making a difference once you get to late March, but maybe I should act now on the off-chance that the Orioles make a move that improves their rotation. (You can't hear it, but that's me laughing in the background.)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Confirming what others have said. When you get your bet down, the terms of the bet are printed on your slip and fixed at that time -- just like an NFL game or a horse race. I'm usually out there for a few days shortly before the season starts and place my bet then. I've never thought about the timing making a difference once you get to late March, but maybe I should act now on the off-chance that the Orioles make a move that improves their rotation. (You can't hear it, but that's me laughing in the background.)

I don't think that is how it works for horse racing.

13 minutes ago, Number5 said:

What he means is whatever is printed on your ticket is the terms of the bet.What he means is whatever is printed on your ticket is the terms of the bet.

26 minutes ago, Number5 said:

That's right. Not sure why my brain crapped out on me as I typed that -- not that I'm much of an expert.

In horse racing, you're betting on a horse to win (or to place, or the order of the top finishers or whatever). The odds aren't fixed; they change right up to the start of the race. The amount of the payoff for a winning bet is determined based on all the bets made; you share the money that was bet with the other successful betters. That's parimutual betting. Dog racing and harness racing work the same way.

By contrast, when you bet on the Orioles to win more than 75 games or the Ravens to win a game by more than 6 points, you're betting against the house. That's your bet. Its terms -- and the payout for a successful bet, which is 100 percent of the bet less the house's vigorish -- are unaffected by other bets on whether the Orioles will win more or fewer than a stated number of games.  

34 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

What he means is whatever is printed on your ticket is the terms of the bet.What he means is whatever is printed on your ticket is the terms of the bet.

I'm by no means a track expert.  Been there like once in the last 25 years.  I'm pretty sure though that, while the amount of your wager is printed on the ticket, the odds and payouts are not, as they aren't set when you buy the ticket.

33 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I'm by no means a track expert.  Been there like once in the last 25 years.  I'm pretty sure though that, while the amount of your wager is printed on the ticket, the odds and payouts are not, as they aren't set when you buy the ticket.

That is true. Unlike football or even baseball bets, the odds are open to change.

On 3/19/2018 at 1:56 PM, spiritof66 said:

I've made some money the past few years betting (in a Nevada sports book) the over on Oriole wins for the season. I'm a little bit nervous about this year, but I see that it's dropped from around 77 to 73, so I'll probably try it again. 

On 3/19/2018 at 4:20 PM, OFFNY said:

o

What happens if you take the over today, and the Orioles acquire Alex Cobb tomorrow ???

Does the bet stand as is ???

o

On 3/19/2018 at 5:29 PM, Il BuonO said:

Not typically ........ it stands, period.

On 3/19/2018 at 6:21 PM, OFFNY said:

o

In that case, Peter Angelos could sign Alex Cobb this week, and recoup some of the money spent on signing him by betting $10 Million on the over just prior to the signing.

o

o

You never know, Peter might have done just that. ll xD

o

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Start counting.

I'll start saving my money...

My tastes aren’t that expensive.

On 3/20/2018 at 8:12 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Sisco will throw out less than 15% of basestealers.

I’m curious where that number is coming from.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

My tastes aren’t that expensive.

I’m curious where that number is coming from.

I should make sure you are there for the  $1 beer nights!

1-7 this Spring is less than 15% I think he will be around 1-8/9 rate in the Majors. I believe when he plays, there will be quite a few attempts against him the first few games, then continue if he doesn't show the ability to get them out.

45 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I should make sure you are there for the  $1 beer nights!

1-7 this Spring is less than 15% I think he will be around 1-8/9 rate in the Majors. I believe when he plays, there will be quite a few attempts against him the first few games, then continue if he doesn't show the ability to get them out.

His minor league % was 21%, last year 23%.    I think he’ll do better than 15%, but even if he doesn’t, I don’t expect runners to go too crazy.   For example, Brian McCann started 94 games last year, threw out only 13% of runners, and yet only 64 runners attempted a steal.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

His minor league % was 21%, last year 23%.    I think he’ll do better than 15%, but even if he doesn’t, I don’t expect runners to go too crazy.   For example, Brian McCann started 94 games last year, threw out only 13% of runners, and yet only 64 runners attempted a steal.

Caleb was at 18% and we hardly noticed.

Archived