Camden Depot: Nick threatened to kick John Hart where it hurts.

weams

7 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

In the same boat as you, between the Travis Snider experiment, trading Zach Davies for Parra and the Trumbo contract, the Orioles would have been better off signing Markakis.  

Good point about Davies. If Markakis is here, they don't trade Davies for Parra most likely. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

I don't think this incident was a contributing factor. In November, 2017, Major League Baseball severely penalized the Atlanta Braves as a result of their investigation into the Braves international signings and determined the team had circumvented rules from 2015 through 2017. Fired GM John Coppolella has been placed on the permanently ineligible list. 12 minor leaguers, including star youngster Kevin Maitan, were declared free agents. In wake of this, President of Baseball Operations for the Atlanta Braves John Hart resigned.

Atlanta had huge problems that blotted out any issue of a GM yelling at someone.

Agreed. Besides, as the old saying goes, "There's no crying in baseball." I don't really have an issue with Markakis taking up for his manager, but this seems like a situation where people need to toughen up a bit. Now I have no idea what the situation was about or why Hart "yelled" at his manager, but at the end of the day it was a closed door meeting between the GM and coach. 

I highly doubt hart was fired because Markakis got his jockstrap in a wad over hearing his manager yelled at by the GM behind closed doors. 

10 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I get that too.

But, dang, that was crazy money that the Braves gave up for Cakes. I mean, I am happy for him, more power to him.

Why was it crazy?   Per fangraphs, so far he’s been paid $33 mm and has been worth $28 mm.    Yeah the Braves probably overpaid a little but I’d hardly call it crazy money.   Whether the move made strategic sense for the rebuilding Braves is another story, but it does seem that Nick has fulfilled the role of mentor and leader by example that the Braves envisioned.  

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Why was it crazy?   Per fangraphs, so far he’s been paid $33 mm and has been worth $28 mm.    Yeah the Braves probably overpaid a little but I’d hardly call it crazy money.   Whether the move made strategic sense for the rebuilding Braves is another story, but it does seem that Nick has fulfilled the role of mentor and leader by example that the Braves envisioned.  

11 million for a .7 WAR, okay, so not crazy money, agree, overpay.

I think most was in agreement that 1-2, even 3 years for Cakes would have been okay, most was concerned about the 4th year, and he has been in steady decline over the last 3 seasons.

Archived