Catchers

bird watcher

10 minutes ago, twinedenter said:

I was at the game vs Rays and Sisco threw out 2 would-be basestealers and made a nice play on a throw from Jones that was up the line. 

Sisco never threw out 2 would-be-basestealers this Spring in 1 game. He hasn't even thrown out 2 would-be-basestealers this whole Spring.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/9/2018 at 6:51 PM, VICIOUS said:

I was at the Blue Jay game on Thursday in Sarasota, 3rd row directly behind home plate. Sisco  didn't make a single decent throw to second ( either on steal attempts or on throw downs after warm up tosses....not a single throw). Susac made better throws. Sisco is going to be a huge liability on D. ( and i'm not a huge fan of Joseph either). We should add someone else.

10 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Sisco never threw out 2 would-be-basestealers this Spring in 1 game. He hasn't even thrown out 2 would-be-basestealers this whole Spring.

It was the 28th of Feb vs Det (same game Gausman got hurt). He threw out one guy and no credit for a "TO" on the other, apparently. 

Joseph, who used to be great at nabbing runners, but last year threw out only 18%, hoping to see a bounce back, but the throws I’ve seen this spring haven’t been encouraging. I don’t think it’s a big deal though, his framing is worth more than his lack of controlling the running game him hurts him.

10 minutes ago, twinedenter said:

It was the 28th of Feb vs Det (same game Gausman got hurt). He threw out one guy and no credit for a "TO" on the other, apparently. 

In the February 26th game against Detroit (where Gausman got hurt), Sisco caught 1 runner stealing second and allowed a second runner to steal third base earlier in the game. Wynns came in later in the game and caught a runner stealing second in the 9th.

17 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

In the February 26th game against Detroit (where Gausman got hurt), Sisco caught 1 runner stealing second and allowed a second runner to steal third base earlier in the game. Wynns came in later in the game and caught a runner stealing second in the 9th.

Hence where I got confused with the 2 throw outs. I still believe the combination of Joseph and Russell is Sisco's best chance to improve. 

Just now, twinedenter said:

Hence where I got confused with the 2 throw outs. I still believe the combination of Joseph and Russell is Sisco's best chance to improve. 

No problem.

I think that would help, but Don Werner, who helped Joseph with his defense in the minors, could also be helpful.

It'll boil down to how Buck wants to use his catchers. If he wants Joseph to get the bulk of starts, Sisco getting full playing time in Norfolk while working with Werner makes the most sense. If Buck wants a platoon, he will have a spot in Baltimore.

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Font know how much this matters, but Susac caught almost the whole game. Came out in the 8th after getting drilled in the back.

Longest a catcher has gone so far.

That's because Sisco is not really being considered-between Susac and Wynn as backup (for now anyways until an injury) IMO.

20 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

That's because Sisco is not really being considered-between Susac and Wynn as backup (for now anyways until an injury) IMO.

Even if true, it's weird. Sisco and Wynns played in the day game of the split squad yesterday while Susac played the last couple of innings in the night game last night, then caught almost the whole game today.

Might just be getting him reps since he missed time, but it was just weird he got the most time so far.

25 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I don’t agree at all.   Sisco’s had as many at bats as Wynns and Susac combined.  A lot of Wynns’ action has been replacing whoever started the game, and thus against lesser competition.    I think Sisco is the favorite.   

I'm assuming Buck will start the season with Joseph and Susac because of the difficulty of the schedule the first month: Twins, Astros, Yankees, Red Sox. Susac is strong defensively and has major league experience. I expect Sisco will have the job by mid-season.

28 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Even if true, it's weird. Sisco and Wynns played in the day game of the split squad yesterday while Susac played the last couple of innings in the night game last night, then caught almost the whole game today.

Might just be getting him reps since he missed time, but it was just weird he got the most time so far.

They want to know if he will be ready when there is an injury. And there will be an injury, so he will be up soon.

Archived