Lance Lynn Signs with the Twins (One-Year Deal)

OFFNY

3 hours ago, tntoriole said:

There is not a city with any baseball team that does not have multiple crimes somewhere relatively near a ballpark every day of the year.   Bad publicity is just that...a distorted exaggeration of risk to someone who would live in a gated community in a suburb.    Lance Lynn did not choose Minnesota because he was afraid of getting murdered in Baltimore...good grief. 

I certainly didn't say that. People choose to live lots of places for lots of reasons.  I grew up in MD and love Baltimore...enough that I purposely went to the first game post riots...but I don't live in the state anymore because I hate taxes, traffic, and snow.  Who knows what's on the top of his list. I'm sure he thinks he'll perform better in MInnesota or they offered more or whatever.  

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, weams said:

The Orioles would never give up a pick for a one year deal. 

So that has changed since 2014...or when you say “the Orioles” you mean Brady Anderson? 

“Since Nelson Cruz rejected a one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer from the Rangers, the Orioles will lose a draft pick, their 55th overall, in signing him. However, that wasn't seen as a huge obstacle given that Jimenez also had a qualifying offer from the Indians, and executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette said recently the club would evaluate losing picks on a "case-by-case" basis.”   MLB.com 

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

So that has changed since 2014...or when you say “the Orioles” you mean Brady Anderson? 

“Since Nelson Cruz rejected a one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer from the Rangers, the Orioles will lose a draft pick, their 55th overall, in signing him. However, that wasn't seen as a huge obstacle given that Jimenez also had a qualifying offer from the Indians, and executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette said recently the club would evaluate losing picks on a "case-by-case" basis.”   MLB.com 

Player can no longer be offered qualifying two years in a row, as Cruz was.  Cruz became Miuntcastle. 

11 minutes ago, weams said:

Player can no longer be offered qualifying two years in a row, as Cruz was.  Cruz became Miuntcastle. 

I would have just as soon kept Cruz...lol.  But Ok...so just another way the Orioles decide NOT to compete in 2018...because our chief rivals for the second wildcard in Minnesota have no such rule. 

5 hours ago, pastorfan said:

We need to face reality. Let's say you have no connection to Baltimore. Why would you want to move your family here? This is one of the worst run cities in the nation. Look at the murder rate. Baltimore is not a place people want to move to.

New York had a ton of crime in the 70s and had no problem getting free agents.   Chicago is probably as bad as Baltimore they don't see to have issues with free agents.   It's not like players will be moving to Penn North neighborhood.  Besides St Louis and Baltimore US major cities and surrounding county is combined into one jurisdiction.  That is why murder rate in Baltimore and St Louis appear to have such high rates.. 

Ravens don't have issues with free agents.   Pitchers don't want to pitch here because it is a tiny ballpark.  I think the problem is Angelos.  Players don't want to take the physical and Angelo's can never just respond in timely fashion.  

5 hours ago, pastorfan said:

We need to face reality. Let's say you have no connection to Baltimore. Why would you want to move your family here ??? This is one of the worst-run cities in the nation. Look at the murder rate. Baltimore is not a place people want to move to.

o

That was essentially Mike Hampton's claim ........ he asserted that he signed with the Rockies because he "had heard good things about the Colorado school system" for his kids.

Of course nobody took Hampton's claim seriously, considering that he had enough money to live in the richest areas (and/or send his kids to private schools), regardless of which team that he chose to play baseball for.

Rockies' Hampton, the Education Pitcher, Is Sticking to His Story

(By Murray Chass)

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/05/sports/on-baseball-rockies-hampton-the-education-pitcher-is-sticking-to-his-story.html

o

On 3/10/2018 at 4:07 PM, Tryptamine said:

There's absolutely no way this FO can possibly say with a straight face that they are actively trying to win. There has never been a more friendly market for acquiring pitching and still nothing but flops.

So did I miss anything in the last five months I have been off the board?

Apparently not.

4 hours ago, tntoriole said:

I would have just as soon kept Cruz...lol.  But Ok...so just another way the Orioles decide NOT to compete in 2018...because our chief rivals for the second wildcard in Minnesota have no such rule. 

Oh, I never said it was their rule. Just one that I justify if I get to make decisions. I think we have been far too loose with picks. 

Archived