John Angelos and Brady taking over? (note on Boras as well)

O's are Legends

1 hour ago, ThomasTomasz said:

The speculation is that both brothers will not be able to afford the inheritance tax on the team, and will need to sell to help cover it.  Though I expect John Angelos to fight that as long as he can.  He enjoys his political views meaning something because of his role with the Orioles, and people won't be paying attention once that goes away. 

My posts analyzing the likely financial impact of Peter Angelos's death on the Orioles, based on the best information I could find, may be one of the sources for the suggestion that, if Peter Angelos leaves his interest in the Orioles to one of both of his sons in his will, they and the team will be hard up for cash after the payment of hundreds of millions of dollars in federal and Maryland estate taxes (not inheritance taxes). And while there was plenty of guesswork and estimation involved, I'd say it's more than speculation.

I've also speculated, and it is just speculation, that MLB's owners might not approve a transfer to John and Lou Angelos because of their lack of financial resources, a desire to get rid of the Angeloses, or both. 

But for those, like me, who have been wishing and hoping and waiting a long time for a change in ownership, it's far from certain that will happen any time soon. Peter Angelos may live another 10 years or so. He might leave his interest in the Orioles to his wife, which would defer estate taxes until her death. The federal estate tax laws might be changed. The Angeloses might bring in new investors, shoring up the team's finances while enabling them to maintain majority ownership.

The team is owned and run by a man who meets one classic definition of a fool ("he who knows not, and knows not that he knows not"), and that may remain the case for quite a while. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Peter is far from stupid.

I suspect if his intent is to leave the team to his boys, then he has taking necessary steps ahead of time and done some serious estate planning work for the time that this is needed.

Some things aren’t easy to plan around.    In any event, I’d really like to see a new principal owner with a totally new approach to running the franchise.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Some things aren’t easy to plan around.    In any event, I’d really like to see a new principal owner with a totally new approach to running the franchise.   

No they are, but he has what 120 lawyers and other stuff flunkies in his law office, and whatever planning they do, can lessen the burden, and I never saw, remove all the burden, but any lessening helps.

I saw this with an very distant MD family member died, with a 3 mill estate, because of prior planning and their kids got significantly more than they would have, with no planning.

Of course, Angelos is worth more than 3 mill, but you get the picture.

2 hours ago, Aglets said:

This doesn't conflict with anything I (or weams) 

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Lynn also turned down a 2 year deal with Minnesota. I suspect this was where he wanted to go, he just didnt like the money. Maybe they promised him a 1 year deal and then we will take care of you.

Who knows.'

But, hell, lets blast Baltimore for sucking and not getting him signed. :)

What excuse will you defend when Alex Cobb signs elsewhere?  But hell, who needs good pitching when we have Tillman and Wright in the fold.

Just now, Dark Helmet said:

It does to a point. Roch said Lynn wanted 2 years from the Orioles. That seems to hint they never offered a 2 year deal. But it really doesn't matter. 

The evidence is that they did and were weighing potentially offering 3.   Yet Lynn still wanted to pitch in MIN on a 1 year deal.   Not too much we can do about that without just going crazy outbidding ourselves.

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

The evidence is that they did and were weighing potentially offering 3.   Yet Lynn still wanted to pitch in MIN on a 1 year deal.   Not too much we can do about that without just going crazy outbidding ourselves.

Lynn turned down 2 year to pitch in MIN, money was too low.

18 hours ago, interloper said:

Like Peter, there's a lot to like about the guy in general. I just mean can he run the Warehouse like there's some semblance of order and clear hierarchy. Can he make good baseball decisions. Etc. We don't know yet.

I would hope he would let his GM do that job. 

18 hours ago, atomic said:

Not a lot of things happening this off-season other than the Cashner signing.  I wouldn't be too excited about the John Angelos and Brady Anderson combo.  I am not sure why they don't just promote Brady now if that is the plan going forward.  Why let DD have to suffer through this.  I am sure it will be hard enough to get another quality GM without the Orioles making a mockery of the GM title once again. 

I don't want Brady either.

Archived