Orioles 5th Starter

amdcpus

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, amdcpus said:

Think Wright has it locked up pretty solidly, Castro isn't even going to be considered (correctly), and Cortes might have a shot at it, in my opinion.

How does Cortes ‘have a shot at it’ in your opinion if Wright has it ‘locked up’. Do you change your mind a lot?

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Castro was in the lead until today. Plus Wright hasn’t started in a few games. That doesn’t mean much, but it’s true. Like it or not, Castro is going to get the job handed to him. Heck, compared to Tillman he dominated today. 

Uh, no.

6 hours ago, johnegogo said:

Is this assuming Tillman is the 4th starter? It might be Wright and Castro/Cortes given Tillman's issues. While I give limited credence to one start in Spring training, he was throwing sim games so he shouldn't have been rusty. Right now I would say, Wright and Cortes, Castro in the pen.

Remember, like he said afterward, he was missing north and south. That’s much better than in and out.

Encouragingly, he admits it’s an easier adjustment especially when he was throwing a lot of two seam FBs and he’s more of a four seam guy. Missing in and out would mean there is greater chance of the problem being arm slot and/or a delivery issue. Either way, no quick fixes. Let’s give him a couple more.

5 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Remember, like he said afterward, he was missing north and south. That’s much better than in and out.

Encouragingly, he admits it’s an easier adjustment especially when he was throwing a lot of two seam FBs and he’s more of a four seam guy. Missing in and out would mean there is greater chance of the problem being arm slot and/or a delivery issue. Either way, no quick fixes. Let’s give him a couple more.

A sore knee can effect command up and down sometimes.  Maybe his are still a little achy.

12 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

It's a joke.  Spots 4 and 5 in the rotation might be historically bad.

I would agree, except that the 3, 4, and 5 spots were historically bad last year. If you are historically bad two years in a row, you are just bad, period.

Personally I like Cortes. I don't think you can put up a minors ERA in the low 2's and be a disaster in the big leagues, no matter how junky your stuff is. 

5 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I would agree, except that the 3, 4, and 5 spots were historically bad last year. If you are historically bad two years in a row, you are just bad, period.

Personally I like Cortes. I don't think you can put up a minors ERA in the low 2's and be a disaster in the big leagues, no matter how junky your stuff is. 

I like him too.  But he hasn't been that great this spring... I'd put him in the pen and let him earn a spot in the rotation if/when Tillman struggles or if there is an injury.

11 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I like him too.  But he hasn't been that great this spring... I'd put him in the pen and let him earn a spot in the rotation if/when Tillman struggles or if there is an injury.

Tillman is already struggling, after struggling last year. Tillman should have to pitch his way into the rotation too. Go with Bleier if you want Cortes in the bullpen.

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

Last one was pretty good. I know he didn’t start, but he still in the discussion I believe.

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Before or after the start?

He was out for a bit with tendinitis in both knees. That can linger.

Well, I guess before. I didn’t hear anything either way. Are you talking about last season? Sometimes I’m off for days here in the offseason before I check in.

8 hours ago, VaBird1 said:

A sore knee can effect command up and down sometimes.  Maybe his are still a little achy.

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Before or after the start?

He was out for a bit with tendinitis in both knees. That can linger.

I’ll amend my previous post. 

So, if he is still having lingering issues with his knees from last season (right?), then it’s definitely possible it’s affecting his drive towards the plate.

Just now, Il BuonO said:

I’ll amend my previous post. 

So, if he is still having lingering issues with his knees from last season (right?), then it’s definitely possible it’s affecting his drive towards the plate.

Not sure if it's from last season. He apparently had this issue before (prior to joining the Orioles) and it flared up with all the running and workouts, so it's definitely lingering.

Archived