TT: Predicting the Opening Day Roster

Tony-OH

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I dont think the curtain has closed over Cortes either.

Agreed.    He’ll get two more appearances, and if he does well I think we’ll keep him in the swing man role.    

12 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I personally like Rodriguez over Bleier.  More upside and Bleier is due for a regression but Bleier will get the nod for what he did last year and Rodriguez signed a minor league deal so he can be sent down. 

I just don't see Buck keeping an eighth reliever who might throw a couple innings in garbage time every three or four games over Alvarez who would be our DH in 80 percent of the games before Trumbo gets back.  On the other hand, Alvarez is a known slow starter and Buck might just feel they are better off playing Santander every day and having Mancini DH. 

Bleier is not a sexy pitcher. He doesn't strike many guys out and it took him until he was 30-years old to lose his rookie status. His stats do suggest there is some regression in store, but I;'m not sure why there seems to be some kind of anti-Bleier bias around here. Yes, I know Joely Rodriguez looks sexy when he's throwing in the mid to upper 90s, and yes, I think he deserves a chance, but if I gotta choose between two (and I don;t think the Orioles have to) I'm taking Bleier for this season.

Bleier vs Rodriguez major league career stats
G- 80 vs 38
IP- 86.1 vs 36.2
H/9 - 8.5 vs 11.5
BB/9 - 1.8/4.7
K/9 - 4.1 vs 6.1
HR/9 - 0.6 vs 1.0
ERA - 1.98 vs 5.40
WHIP - 1.15 vs 1.75
FIP - 3.92 vs 5.17
LHB Slash - .211/.272/.331/.603 vs .347/.460/.431/.890

So outside of the velocity and some spring stats (Bleier wasn't barely used in A games like most Orioles relievers on the team) and the fact that Rodriguez is younger, what makes anyone think that Rodriguez is going to be suddenly a much better reliever than Bleier this year?

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Agreed.    He’ll get two more appearances, and if he does well I think we’ll keep him in the swing man role.    

I still think Cortes will have to pitch his way off this team. With five right-handed starters, having a left-handed long reliever will come in handy to keep games under control when teams stack a left-handed hitting lineup and get to the starter. early.

I think the Cobb signing makes it harder for Rodriquez to make the team and could make a difficult decision on Araujo. Castro also could still be optioned in order to stretch out as a starter if the Orioles feel comfortable with Wright and Cortes as long, middle guys.

2 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Thoughts on opening day lineup:

probably facing berrios or Lynn, both RHP. 

Beckham 3B R

Machado SS R

Jones CF R

Davis 1B L

Schoop 2B R

Mancini DH R

Rasmus RF L

Joseph C R

Santander LF S

Gausman on the bump.

Sisco Catching?

2 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Thoughts on opening day lineup:

probably facing berrios or Lynn, both RHP. 

Beckham 3B R

Machado SS R

Jones CF R

Davis 1B L

Schoop 2B R

Mancini DH R

Rasmus RF L

Joseph C R

Santander LF S

Gausman on the bump.

Hot streaks aside, Beckham is probably the last player (excluding Caleb Joseph) that should be leading off. 

Buck will probably have him in there though, I just don't see it lasting.  I like Sisco at leadoff against RHP and Schoop against LHP.  

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

Hot streaks aside, Beckham is probably the last player (excluding Caleb Joseph) that should be leading off. 

Buck will probably have him in there though, I just don't see it lasting.  I like Sisco at leadoff against RHP and Schoop against LHP.  

Schoop's career OBP against left handed pitching is 294.  His OPS is 61 points higher against right handed pitching.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Schoop's career OBP against left handed pitching is 294.  His OPS is 61 points higher against right handed pitching.

He had a .361 OBP versus LHP in 2017.  His walk rate improved last year significantly and I think it will continue to.  He was a fairly patient hitter in the minors and was probably watching Adam Jones a little bit too much in his first several seasons in the big leagues. 

Any suggestions?  You are quick to pick holes, but I'd like to hear who you think would be a better option. 

Archived