Sparse Crowd sees loss.

weams

19 hours ago, tntoriole said:

I suspect a lot of business and corporate season ticket buyers that were in the DC suburbs of both MD and VA gradually migrated over the last ten years and  now almost all buy Nats. 

I believe this. I have a lot of friends in northern VA and they didn't become Nats fans right away. It took almost ten years for some of them, but the Nats have started to replace the Orioles as their #1 team. If the Nats win the world series in the next few years, then that's going to make it even tougher for the Orioles. Frobby quoted attendance numbers for Nats first year, but I don't think that really tells the story. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I for one prefer HR and strikeouts over bunts and grounders finding their way through an infield on a hit and run, but to each their own.

Pray to the baseball gods that the Orioles start hitting them. If they don't, then it's going to be a long, long summer. 

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I for one prefer HR and strikeouts over bunts and grounders finding their way through an infield on a hit and run, but to each their own.

I think you nailed the two biggest issues:

1.  Football is now king.  The demand just isn't there for a market that is now football oriented.

2.  That type of casual, football oriented fan just isn't interested in watching this style of baseball.  The offense never really forces the issue.  Doesn't generate enough excitement game to game.  Strike out a ton, struggle to get on base, every 4th or 5th game, hit a bunch of homers.  Rinse, repeat every season.  It just never brought fans in as a form of entertainment.

Archived