Chicks Dig the Long Ball, But...

wildbillhiccup

...is sitting back and waiting / hoping for a three run homer really an effective managerial strategy in this day and age? I know Buck has had some success with this approach over the course of his career, but I really feel like it's starting to run it's course. I'm not saying OBP is everything, but it sure would be nice if we had a better lead off option than Chris Davis. In Buck's defense I guess he did make a run at Dexter Fowler a few years ago, which would have given the team a prototypical leader hitter, but why didn't the team look to do the same this off season? I'm not saying the Orioles need to become a scrappy / speedy team overnight, but I think they need to find some sort of happy medium because right now they'r a team that lives and dies by the long ball. What happens when the balls stop leaving the year? Or when those three run shots become solo shots? In this day and age can a team really win by placing all their eggs in the home run basket? I'm not so sure...

Baseball has begun to resemble slow pitch softball...everyone with elevated swings and go for it all. With all the data spewed today the defensive alignments make it difficult hit, so hit them where there's no defense. I find the game becoming boring too many strikeouts, working the count, base to base running..I think the game would be more interesting if they required infielders to be no deeper than the dirt of the infield and there must be two players on each of the infield when the ball leaves the pitchers hand...no rovers...if the outfielders want to play shallow, fine.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

You need guys on base to hit 3 run home rums.  Weaver understood this.

You need a lineup that doesn't ditch its approach when faced with a 4-0 deficit. You could literally feel the intelligence leave and the anxiety/hopelessness creep in. We used to be good at comebacks. 

Can't say I blame them. I don't know how you get up there after that inning from Gausman and try to have good, smart ABs while thinking "great, our pitching is going to suck all year again". I guess that's why they're the pros. 

The O’s have been a low OBP team for probably 20 years.   I remember when Terry Crowley was hitting coach he was criticized all the time for the team’s low OBP.     

Since Dan Duquette got here, he has paid lip service to the importance of OBP, but his actions have been to double down on the power guys.    

I’m hoping that Sisco’s and DJ Stewart’s OBP skills will translate to the major league level and that will change the picture at least somewhat in the coming seasons.  

Something I've always found interesting.

Our AL Ranking in Team OBP

2010:  11th (.316)

2011:  10th (.316)

DUQUETTE ARRIVES  

2012:   11th (.311)

2013:   10th (.313)

2014:  11th (.311)

2015:  12th (.307)

2016:  10th (.317)

2017:   14th (.312)

Duquette is not a stupid man............he's regularly preached the importance of OBP in a lineup in the off-season.  Why the consistent failure here year after year?

12 minutes ago, Aglets said:

DUQUETTE ARRIVES  

Duquette is not a stupid man............he's regularly preached the importance of OBP in a lineup in the off-season.  Why the consistent failure here year after year?

Excellent point. I pointed the finger at Buck, but Duquette is probably just as much to blame. Who, other than Fowler, have they tried to sign during Duquette's tenor that would be qualify as a good OBP guy? And I'm not counting Seth Smith types, who really shouldn't be everyday players. 

1 hour ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Baseball has begun to resemble slow pitch softball...everyone with elevated swings and go for it all. With all the data spewed today the defensive alignments make it difficult hit, so hit them where there's no defense. I find the game becoming boring too many strikeouts, working the count, base to base running..I think the game would be more interesting if they required infielders to be no deeper than the dirt of the infield and there must be two players on each of the infield when the ball leaves the pitchers hand...no rovers...if the outfielders want to play shallow, fine.

I agree with the elevated swings trend, but I really see that as a way for a marginally talented player to try and make themselves more valuable.  The funny thing is, if you look at the top 20 OBP leaders from last season, only Posey, Mauer, and A.Garcia failed to hit more than 20 HRs. So the "good" players have been able to hit for power and get on base. 

Digging into these numbers makes me really appreciate someone like Joey Votto and what he bring to the table that much more. 

3 hours ago, Aglets said:

DUQUETTE ARRIVES  

Damn that is a model of consistency!   I can't imagine there are many status you could find for any team that are that consistent over the course of an 8 year period.

Archived