2018 Mike Wright

Frobby

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

88% of the outs that Wright recorded (8 out of 9) came via the Groundout and the Strikeout.

In 3 Spring Training starts so far, Wright's WHIP is under 1 (0.857), and opponents are batting .160 off of him.

9 OUTS: o 5 Groundouts, 3 Strikeouts, 1 Flyout

DENNIS MICHAEL WRIGHT )))))) (vs. D-RAYS, 3/07) )))))) [Spring Training] 

IP:llll 3 

H:lllll 2 ll (1 Home Run, 1 Single) l

R:llllll 1

BB:lll 1)

SO:lll 3

Pitches: l) 54 )(33 )Strikes, )21 )Balls) ) * 

2018 ERA: l) 2.57 )l (Spring Training) )  7.00  IP (2 ER)

2018 WHIP: l) 0.857 )l (Spring Training) )  7.00  IP (6 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l) .160 )l (Spring Training) )  (4 for 25)

PITCHES BY INNING

(Unavailable)

* ) Per Roch Kubatko

o

So far Mike is doing just what he has done before.  Not much has changed.   He has decent stuff but he can not control it.   The catcher sets up on one side of the plate and the call goes somewhere else.  This may work with minor leaguers but it probably will not when he has to face a lineup of major league hitters.   He will throw a lot of pitches per inning and no be able to go deep in games. 

That is what I have been listening to in his games.  It has to get better for him to stay in the majors very long IMO.

31 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So far Mike is doing just what he has done before.  Not much has changed.   He has decent stuff but he can not control it.   The catcher sets up on one side of the plate and the call goes somewhere else.  This may work with minor leaguers but it probably will not when he has to face a lineup of major league hitters.   He will throw a lot of pitches per inning and no be able to go deep in games. 

That is what I have been listening to in his games.  It has to get better for him to stay in the majors very long IMO.

Buck reallllllly downplayed the outing in some of his quotes in the latest Roch blog. Which, I dunno, I find a little weird. Where's the criticism for Bundy's 10 runs in 4.1 IP so far? 

Here’s a sampling of Showalter:

On Wright: “OK, OK. Command was not where it’s been, but OK. Mike’s presented himself well here.”

On Wright saying important to show he can escape jam: “Yeah, that’s fine. I agree. It’s the same thing we talked about with Hunter (Harvey) yesterday. He gave up the home run and next pitch was a well-located fastball and he got the next guy out. That’s the type of thing you look for because that’s been some of the challenges for Mike. He’s got so much want-to that he just kind of lets the emotions get to him. He’s really been a real under control guy, really focused.”

I mean, the same can be said about Bundy re: command, but the same cannot be said about getting out of jams. I really, really don't like Mike Wright, nor do I believe in his results this spring, BUT... I also don't feel great about Bundy being immune from criticism. The kid hasn't been able to throw any of his pitches so far this spring. I think Buck should at least acknowledge that. 

10 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Mike Wright is not a major league starting pitcher.  No matter how much we might do wishin' and hopin' and prayin'

It reflects this organizations pitiful state that he is still a quasi serious contender for this rotation.  

He isn’t, but he could be a really good 6th/7th inning guy. 

25 minutes ago, interloper said:

Buck reallllllly downplayed the outing in some of his quotes in the latest Roch blog. Which, I dunno, I find a little weird. Where's the criticism for Bundy's 10 runs in 4.1 IP so far? 

Bundy's earned the benefit of the doubt, while Mike Wright has yet to put himself together as more than AAAA in his entire Oriole tenure.

If Bundy is trash during the season, there will be no shortage of criticism for him.

17 minutes ago, interloper said:

I mean, the same can be said about Bundy re: command, but the same cannot be said about getting out of jams. I really, really don't like Mike Wright, nor do I believe in his results this spring, BUT... I also don't feel great about Bundy being immune from criticism. The kid hasn't been able to throw any of his pitches so far this spring. I think Buck should at least acknowledge that.

I do not see the value in criticizing players on Spring training performance, especially on March 7. How is anyone helped by smack-talking Bundy in the press over his first outings of games that don't count.

Sounds like Buck was referencing Wright's inconsistent focus to date in MLB, while gently suggesting that we may be seeing an improvement without fully committing. Buck's choosing public words of encouragement over criticism, which is probably the best thing to do during the exhibition games.

18 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Mike Wright is not a major league starting pitcher.  No matter how much we might do wishin' and hopin' and prayin'

It reflects this organizations pitiful state that he is still a quasi serious contender for this rotation.  

It's hard to take the Orioles chances of snatching one of the wildcard spots seriously if Mike Wright is your 5 and Tillman is your 4.  At least for Tillman his track record suggests he could potentially rebound.  

Since he is out of options, I have no problem with Wright out of the bullpen.  If they plan on competing this year, I think it is critical to sign Lynn or Cobb.  That leaves you with a pen of:

1. Brach
  2. Givens
  3. O'Day
  4. Bleier
  5. Cortes
  6. Wright
  7. Castro/Mesa/Araujo

At least, that's what I am hoping for.

Archived