2018 Mike Wright

Frobby

50 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

If Buck was meh about Wright, I dont think he would be given as much chances to win a starting spot in the rotation, IMO.

Or be the first man up on the norfolk shuttle the past couple of seasons.

I think he's getting so many chances because there's no other inspiring options. If Lynn or Cobb have not been signed by the O's yet then something tells me they never will. So the fight for that last spot is Wright who will not be good or Cortes who will not be good and a handful of other SP that more than likely will not be good. Wright seems like the best bet to possibly be productive but my personal opinion is that he, along with all our other fifth starter options, will not be any good.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, oriole said:

I think he's getting so many chances because there's no other inspiring options. If Lynn or Cobb have not been signed by the O's yet then something tells me they never will. So the fight for that last spot is Wright who will not be good or Cortes who will not be good and a handful of other SP that more than likely will not be good. Wright seems like the best bet to possibly be productive but my personal opinion is that he, along with all our other fifth starter options, will not be any good.

Not sure why you have wrote of Cortes already, seams like 2 of the rule 5 guys are doing well, just Mesa is struggling.

2 hours ago, theobird said:

For the record, I am still a Mike Wright fan. I may be the only one around here, but the guy just has the stuff. I am pulling for him to get it together. And, he is more than a number 5 starter if he gets it together, imo. Only time will tell.

I am also a fan. Met his sister last year and he has had some family issues. Maybe it all clicks for him this year with the new cutter and four seam.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Not sure why you have wrote of Cortes already, seams like 2 of the rule 5 guys are doing well, just Mesa is struggling.

It's spring training. I have no faith that any rule 5 pick will be anything more than a fringe player that has their uses in the right situation but overall uninspiring. I hope he proves me wrong though.

Just now, oriole said:

It's spring training. I have no faith that any rule 5 pick will be anything more than a fringe player that has their uses in the right situation but overall uninspiring. I hope he proves me wrong though.

Look at the overall body of work so far, everywhere he has thrown, he had succeeded and pretty well, he knows how to pitch and get Ks, while not being a fireball.

14 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Look at the overall body of work so far, everywhere he has thrown, he had succeeded and pretty well, he knows how to pitch and get Ks, while not being a fireball.

You know who else has done great in the minors? Mike Wright.

Im not knocking the guy (Cortes) as much as I want to see results before I project any delusions of success on a guy that has so far in his career outpitched the scouting report. I like that he is an underdog and he has a lot of success in the past despite not having great stuff.   Realistically, maybe we have another TJ Macfarland? 

1 minute ago, oriole said:

Im not knocking the guy (Cortes) as much as I want to see results before I project any delusions of success on a guy that has so far in his career outpitched the scouting report. I like that he is an underdog and he has a lot of success in the past despite not having great stuff.   Realistically, maybe we have another TJ Macfarland? 

fair enough.

10 minutes ago, oriole said:

It’s tough to compare Cortes and Wright.    Cortes was drafted out of high school, is 23, and has a 2.08 career ERA in the minors.    Wright was drafted out of college, and was 25 when he debuted in the majors and is 28 now.    He has a 3.73 ERA in the minors.   If all one did was look at age and stats, Cortes clearly would be the better prospect.    But of course, there’s a lot more to it than that, and nobody knows how Cortes’ command and deception with below average stuff will play in the majors, either short term or long term.

McFarland has a 3.75 career ERA in the minors and never had overwhelming stuff.    I certainly view Cortes as having much more upside than McFarland.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It’s tough to compare Cortes and Wright.    Cortes was drafted out of high school, is 23, and has a 2.08 career ERA in the minors.    Wright was drafted out of college, and was 25 when he debuted in the majors and is 28 now.    He has a 3.73 ERA in the minors.   If all one did was look at age and stats, Cortes clearly would be the better prospect.    But of course, there’s a lot more to it than that, and nobody knows how Cortes’ command and deception with below average stuff will play in the majors, either short term or long term.

McFarland has a 3.75 career ERA in the minors and never had overwhelming stuff.    I certainly view Cortes as having much more upside than McFarland.

Hey Frobby, get your magnifying glass away from my posts! I like to over generalize. Soft tossing lefty? McFarland comp! 4A pitcher? Wright comp!

seriously though, I like to see a player have success before expecting them to have success, but that's just me. Wright hasn't had success in the majors so until he does I'm gonna say he stinks. As with all Orioles players I trash talk, I want to be wrong.

1 hour ago, oriole said:

Hey Frobby, get your magnifying glass away from my posts! I like to over generalize. Soft tossing lefty? McFarland comp! 4A pitcher? Wright comp!

seriously though, I like to see a player have success before expecting them to have success, but that's just me. Wright hasn't had success in the majors so until he does I'm gonna say he stinks. As with all Orioles players I trash talk, I want to be wrong.

Yeah, I’m not really disagreeing, just saying that by certain measures I might be more optimistic about Cortes than the other two.   That said, Cortes really hasn’t been that impressive so far.

1 hour ago, oriole said:

Lol, I sympathize with this kind of thinking. 

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I’m not really disagreeing, just saying that by certain measures I might be more optimistic about Cortes than the other two.   That said, Cortes really hasn’t been that impressive so far.

Bundy hasn't been particularly impressive either but I still expect some degree of success from him.  I can't say the same for Wright or Cortes.

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Wright has nothing to do with signing Lynn or Cobb, in my opinion.    His upside is acceptable fifth starter.     Lynn or Cobb aren’t going to be signed for that role.

Tillman will be in the rotation, so yes Mike Wright does affect it.

1. Gausman

2. Bundy

3. Cashner

4. Tillman

5. Wright or whoever.

Tillman will be in there until he shows he can't.  

o

Wright retired 8 out of the final 9 batters that he faced, with the one baserunner who reached did so on a play that was makeable by the Orioles' 3rd Baseman. That was also the play in which the Pirates scored their 2 runs off of Wright.

9 OUTS: o 4 Flyouts, 3 Strikeouts, 2 Groundouts

DENNIS MICHAEL WRIGHT )))))) (vs. PIRATES, 3/12) )))))) [Spring Training] 

IP:llll 3

H:lllll 3 ll (1 Double, 2 Singles) l

R:llllll 2

BB:lll 0)

SO:lll 3

Pitches: l) 57 )(35 )Strikes, )22 )Balls)

2018 ERA: l) 3.60 )l (Spring Training) )  10.00 IP (4 ER)

2018 WHIP: l) 0.900 )l (Spring Training) )  10.00  IP (9 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l) .189 )l (Spring Training) )  (7 for 37)

PITCHES BY INNING

28 l.(18 lllStrikes, ll10 llllBalls)

13 lll(71 llStrikes, lll61 llBalls)

16 lll(10 llStrikes, llll61 llBalls)

o

o

Roch Kubatko had Wright at 12 Pitches after the 1st Inning (7 )Strikes, )5 )Balls) ........ overall, he threw 71 Pitches (46 )Strikes, )25 )Balls.)

Adam Jones doubled a runner off of the bag on a lineout TWICE ........ once in the 1st inning when he doubled the runner off of 2nd base, and once in the 3rd inning when he doubled the runner off of 1st base.

Overall, Wright was the beneficiary of 3 Double Plays from his defense in the 4.67 Innings that he pitched. 

8 out of the 9 hits that Wright ceded were singles, 2 of which was the infield variety.

14 OUTS: o 3 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 2 Strikeouts, 2 Popouts, 2 Flyouts, 2 Lineouts (Including 1 Double Plays), 1 Thrown Out Trying to Take an Extra Base on a Throw

DENNIS MICHAEL WRIGHT )))))) (vs. BLUE JAYS, 3/17) )))))) [Spring Training] 

IP:lll.4.67

H:lllll 9 ll (1 Triple, 8 Singles) l

R:lllll 4

BB:ll 1)

SO:l. 2

Pitches: l) 71 )(46 )Strikes, )25 )Balls)

2018 ERA: l) 4.91 )l (Spring Training) )  14.67 IP (8 ER)

2018 WHIP: l) 1.295 )l (Spring Training) )  14.67  IP (19 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l) .281 )l (Spring Training) )  (16 for 57)

PITCHES BY INNING

12 l.(71 lllStrikes, llllllBalls) ll [First inning Only]

o

Archived