Anyone else slowly growing tired with Buck?

Rene88

I won’t mention Ubaldo vs. Britton with the season on the line...

2 Rule 5 guys tonight with game on the line? Even Roch & Britt were scratching their heads on Twitter...

The CD leadoff experiment.

Him going against his GM to sign CD to perhaps one of the worst contracts in baseball. 

Buck is a great manager but starting to see why other towns patience grew thin.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Rene88 said:

I won’t mention Ubaldo vs. Britton with the season on the line...

2 Rule 5 guys tonight with game on the line? Even Roch & Britt were scratching their heads on Twitter...

The CD leadoff experiment.

Him going against his GM to sign CD to perhaps one of the worst contracts in baseball. 

Buck is a great manager but starting to see why other towns patience grew thin.

Yeah, Givens did a great job out there, didn’t he?   

Well, let's be honest here.

Brach was terrible in spring training and looked awful on Opening Day.

Givens just got rocked.

He has 2 Rule V picks in the bullpen...and I can't imagine that was his decision, so that goes on Duquette.

He's not playing with a full deck here.

That said, I'm probably not putting in two Rule V guys back to back.

I would have left Wright pitch the 6th--his pitch count was in the low 80s and he had two straight clean innings.  Nevertheless, even if Wright had made it through the 6th, I would have brought Givens out for the 7th, so he would have eventually blown the save anyway.   Lefties are still kryptonite to Givens.  

I thought it was weird to go with Araujo and Cortes in a tie game.  Is O'Day hurt or something?  Was Bleier unavailable?

5 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I would have left Wright pitch the 6th--his pitch count was in the low 80s and he had two straight clean innings.  Nevertheless, even if Wright had made it through the 6th, I would have brought Givens out for the 7th, so he would have eventually blown the save anyway.   Lefties are still kryptonite to Givens.  

I thought it was weird to go with Araujo and Cortes in a tie game.  Is O'Day hurt or something?  Was Bleier unavailable?

Leave Wright in?  He never threw anywhere near 80 pitches in ST. The mistake was using Castro yesterday.  

While I don't like this Davis at leadoff experiment, I can't put the blame on Buck 100%. We all know how last season ended and DD didn't do a single thing that made the team better. I think he made the team worse. I would rather see Santander play every day than Rasmus. At least you're giving a young guy a chance to see what he has in the majors.

That's why I admire the optimism on this board. You guys can ignore the lack of effort of DD's part and still have hope.

It may not even be entirely DD's fault either. I'm sure PA dictates a lot of what happens. He at least holds the purse strings.

7 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Bleier had pitched two days in a row, so yes, I would say he's unavailable.

When your starter exits early on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, with the first two games being at home, you have to use a lot of bullpen.   Sure you'd like to use only your weakest relievers in those games that are pretty much decided, in case you have a close game.   But you can't... when you have to fill a bunch of bullpen innings for 3 days in a row, you pretty much have to use everybody (plus you don't want your good guys to go that long without use either, you actually want them to get an inning to stay fresh).

He didn't use Cortes Monday because he was going to be the long man if Wright got knocked out early.   He didn't use Araujo Monday becuase it would have been his 3rd straight day.   So those two guys were likely going to pitch tonight unless we managed to get 6+ out of our starters.

8 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

No, taking Wright out was the correct move there. The bullpen usage yesterday and today screwed them.

13 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

While I don't like this Davis at leadoff experiment, I can't put the blame on Buck 100%. We all know how last season ended and DD didn't do a single thing that made the team better. I think he made the team worse. I would rather see Santander play every day than Rasmus. At least you're giving a young guy a chance to see what he has in the majors.

That's why I admire the optimism on this board. You guys can ignore the lack of effort of DD's part and still have hope.

It may not even be entirely DD's fault either. I'm sure PA dictates a lot of what happens. He at least holds the purse strings.

My understanding is DD tried to do the right thing. He tried to trade Britton, he tried to trade Manny...DD isn't the best GM either but...let's be fair. He has tried. He was against the CD contract.

2 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

If the O's have a rough April.. and are already having major issues keeping up with the division, I'd say keep Santander.. jettison Rasmus, Alvarez.. and anyone else that is a stopgap. Move forward with the young players.

As for Buck... the thing that has really irked me over the last couple of years has been his devotion to players that are not producing. I find some of the love for them is way too far over the top, and could backfire very easy.

4 hours ago, Drifter said:

If the O's have a rough April.. and are already having major issues keeping up with the division, I'd say keep Santander.. jettison Rasmus, Alvarez.. and anyone else that is a stopgap. Move forward with the young players.

As for Buck... the thing that has really irked me over the last couple of years has been his devotion to players that are not producing. I find some of the love for them is way too far over the top, and could backfire very easy.

Good post here and completely agree on Alvarez (he has been so loyal and patient but....) and Rasmus. Hays belongs on this team. The fact he is in AA Bowie is even more puzzling...

He definitely sticks with people and things(e.g-CD leading off) too long and if it doesn't work, sticks with it longer.

And where has Danny V been?

Archived