Anyone else slowly growing tired with Buck?

Rene88

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Why Not? said:

Hiring guys with no managerial experience IS in vogue. 

Yeah, but they have to be like Aaron Boone, who will be so surprised and elated for the gig they will happily do exactly what the front office quants tell him to do with the lineup and bullpen every day, make that palatable for the clubhouse,  and be charming in the media sessions all the while.  It's the FP Santagelo-ization of the manager role, which isn't Cal (or Buck, for that matter).

Buck did great things for this organization but yeah you do get the feeling he is not analytical enough at this point given the way the game is going. I would've been in favor of bringing in a new manager last season and that hasn't changed. That's not to say he's a bad manager, though, he's clearly got his strengths (namely management of the clubhouse/the players).  

19 hours ago, now said:

Taking the long view...

Buck has managed the team to consistently outperform the projection systems, by a lot, since 2012. Aside from in-game strategy (where no manager is perfect, in the light of our perfect hindsight), he prioritizes positive psychology and relationships with and among players (probably to a fault in the case of his vets with their sacred "track record"--again, as most real-life managers do). The whole body of work is our best since Weaver, except for Davey Johnson. So nitpick all we want, we're lucky to have him.

Pretty much my opinion. He does stick with favorites a bit too much, but they have a track record at least. 

13 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Buck did great things for this organization but yeah you do get the feeling he is not analytical enough at this point given the way the game is going. I would've been in favor of bringing in a new manager last season and that hasn't changed. That's not to say he's a bad manager, though, he's clearly got his strengths (namely management of the clubhouse/the players).  

I think over time he has developed a happy / pacified clubhouse at the expense of sound in-game moves.  At some point, the loyalty should run both ways, where they trust him enough to go along with benching guys (and teacher’s pets) or pinch hitting when it’s smart baseball.  

29 minutes ago, Natty said:

Batting Davis leadoff proves that Buck is more interested in helping Davis come out of his personal slump, than helping our team win games. 

Unacceptable if you want to win games. 

Buck might think the best way to win games is to get Davis out of his slump.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Buck might think the best way to win games is to get Davis out of his slump.

I agree that if Davis starts hitting like he use to, it would greatly help us win games. But those days are ancient history. Batting leadoff is a desperate and futile attempt at getting Davis to hit again. 

Just now, Natty said:

I agree that if Davis starts hitting like he use to, it would greatly help us win games. But those days are ancient history. Batting leadoff is a desperate and futile attempt at getting Davis to hit again. 

You don't need to convince me.

Archived