Anyone else slowly growing tired with Buck?

Rene88

1 hour ago, Natty said:

I agree that if Davis starts hitting like he use to, it would greatly help us win games. But those days are ancient history. Batting leadoff is a desperate and futile attempt at getting Davis to hit again. 

What difference does it make where he hits in the lineup of he's an automatic out.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Put him 9th where he belongs. Or on the bench. Better still get creative and find a trade partner.

It’s a pipe dream to think we can offload Davis on another team at the moment.    Bat him towards the bottom of the order and pray that he has something left.    If it’s still a train wreck two months from now, bench him.   

The funniest thing about this thread is that there's a lot of lashing out at Buck but there continues to be an all out failure amongst most of you to recognize that he doesn't have a lot of options available to do anything else.  Davis is still a decent defender at 1st.  Not a gold glover but he's not a butcher.  From a defensive perspective there's not really a better option on this roster.

You guys want to be pissed at someone?  Be pissed at DD.  He's the one that's given Buck the roster that he currently has.

And even at that rate, I'd still buy DD a beer since he's the only GM that's been able to be competent for any given stretch under Angelos since Gillick.  

8 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Put him 9th where he belongs. Or on the bench. Better still get creative and find a trade partner.

Really, who's going to trade for Davis?  I mean, put yourself in the shoes of any GM for the other MLB teams and try to look objectively at Chris Davis.  Look at any teams current roster and they have a better first baseman.  If they don't, they probably have a guy in AAA or AA that can provide better production for a fraction of the cost.  Even if the Orioles ate 95% of the remaining contract, you'd be hard pressed to find at team to want to bring him on.  There's no reason any GM in their right mind would want to take on Chris Davis.

And if you're the Orioles, do you think you can actually trade him?  It's beyond a sell low move.  How could DD call any GM with a straight face and ask for ANYTHING of value back for Davis right now?  And you want to "get creative" and find a trade partner?

"Get creative" is message board speak for "I have no idea what they can do, but they should know better than me, so they need to figure something out because this is terrible."

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

The funniest thing about this thread is that there's a lot of lashing out at Buck but there continues to be an all out failure amongst most of you to recognize that he doesn't have a lot of options available to do anything else.  Davis is still a decent defender at 1st.  Not a gold glover but he's not a butcher.  From a defensive perspective there's not really a better option on this roster.

You guys want to be pissed at someone?  Be pissed at DD.  He's the one that's given Buck the roster that he currently has.

And even at that rate, I'd still buy DD a beer since he's the only GM that's been able to be competent for any given stretch under Angelos since Gillick.  

Really, who's going to trade for Davis?  I mean, put yourself in the shoes of any GM for the other MLB teams and try to look objectively at Chris Davis.  Look at any teams current roster and they have a better first baseman.  If they don't, they probably have a guy in AAA or AA that can provide better production for a fraction of the cost.  Even if the Orioles ate 95% of the remaining contract, you'd be hard pressed to find at team to want to bring him on.  There's no reason any GM in their right mind would want to take on Chris Davis.

And if you're the Orioles, do you think you can actually trade him?  It's beyond a sell low move.  How could DD call any GM with a straight face and ask for ANYTHING of value back for Davis right now?  And you want to "get creative" and find a trade partner?

"Get creative" is message board speak for "I have no idea what they can do, but they should know better than me, so they need to figure something out because this is terrible."

If I'm a tanking team I'll give the O's a couple non-prospects for Davis if they eat all but seven million of his salary and send me the first round competitive balance pick.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

If I'm a tanking team I'll give the O's a couple non-prospects for Davis if they eat all but seven million of his salary and send me the first round competitive balance pick.

Eat the majority of his contract? Ha ha, good luck.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Good post.    I will say, I’m somewhat concerned that even Davis’ defensive skills may be deteriorating.   He wasn’t as good last year as he’d been in 2016, and then he botched a couple of plays on Opening Day (granted, the sun had a role in the second one, and the first one was of no consequence because Schoop threw the batter out from short RF after Davis whiffed on the grounder).    So, I’m nervous.   

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Yeah, but why?  You could just have those non prospects fill in at 1b if you have a hole there and save yourself the headache of what to do with Davis.  Part of the issue with trying offload Davis isn't just the cost of what he's owed each year, it's the length of that contract.  IIRC, we're not even halfway through that thing.  

While the Orioles would still be paying for a bunch of that contract, you'd still have to figure out a way to get rid of him in a couple years.  I guess you could just straight up DFA him, but that seems to be a lot of effort to go through just to get a 1st round comp pick back.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Good post.    I will say, I’m somewhat concerned that even Davis’ defensive skills may be deteriorating.   He wasn’t as good last year as he’d been in 2016, and then he botched a couple of plays on Opening Day (granted, the sun had a role in the second one, and the first one was of no consequence because Schoop threw the batter out from short RF after Davis whiffed on the grounder).    So, I’m nervous.   

Correct, his defense has deteriorated for sure.  At one point I thought he was GG material, he was very nimble around the bag and I don't think there was anyone much better at scooping throws in the dirt.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, but why?  You could just have those non prospects fill in at 1b if you have a hole there and save yourself the headache of what to do with Davis.  Part of the issue with trying offload Davis isn't just the cost of what he's owed each year, it's the length of that contract.  IIRC, we're not even halfway through that thing.  

While the Orioles would still be paying for a bunch of that contract, you'd still have to figure out a way to get rid of him in a couple years.  I guess you could just straight up DFA him, but that seems to be a lot of effort to go through just to get a 1st round comp pick back.

Because I would be buying a first round draft pick and the associated cap money.

I think the pick and cap money is worth 7M.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not even one-third through with it.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because I would be buying a first round draft pick and the associated cap money.

I think the pick and cap money is worth 7M.

I see the logic but I have a hard time thinking that there'd be anyone out there that'd want to take him on.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Not even one-third through with it.

:skeletor:

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I see the logic but I have a hard time thinking that there'd be anyone out there that'd want to take him on.  

:skeletor:

I'd either let him play out the year or cut him outright depending on my roster.

Davis would just be the avenue by which I purchased the draft pick.

You think the Dodgers wanted Webb or the Braves wanted Matusz?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd either let him play out the year or cut him outright depending on my roster.

Davis would just be the avenue by which I purchased the draft pick.

You think the Dodgers wanted Webb or the Braves wanted Matusz?

Good points.  Look at CoC getting creative!

I think this might be the only way the Orioles could get out of it.  That said, they'd still have to eat so much of the contract that it'd still cripple them for years to come.

Archived