Release Alvarez now

eddie83

9 hours ago, Nevermore said:

Ohmighod...!!! In the 14th inning, score tied 3-3, bases loaded, 1 out. Pedro Alvarez walks up to the plate. I groaned, thinking that Alvarez would hit into a double play and the game would finally end in the 20th inning. I think that maybe tomorrow, they would release him.

One pitch,, one swing of Pedro's bat. And the ball goes sailing into the night into the seats. Grand slam!!!  

Maybe I ll be ready to release him next week or next year or trade him for Ubaldo or Travis Snyder. But right now, he is The Hero Who Came Through.??

My god man!!!!!   What were you drinking?  Absinthe?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don’t know if we can keep him up all year, but Alvarez seems like a nice luxury to have on the bench for situations like last night. 

Also, I didn’t realize while watching last night how bad of a game Beckham had. Dude went 0-6 with 5 k’s! Between his .473 OPS and Valencia’s .550 OPS, our third base production is looking shaky early on.

56 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Don’t know if we can keep him up all year, but Alvarez seems like a nice luxury to have on the bench for situations like last night. 

Also, I didn’t realize while watching last night how bad of a game Beckham had. Dude went 0-6 with 5 k’s! Between his .473 OPS and Valencia’s .550 OPS, our third base production is looking shaky early on.

Agree. Shame he's going down once Trumbo is off the DL. 

2 hours ago, gmelson26 said:

This is my feeling on him.  I think given the chance would hit well for us in the DH role.  I like him more than Trumbo in this regard.  I would platoon him some against LH starters.

Game winning home run. 

13 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Agree. Shame he's going down once Trumbo is off the DL. 

I hope not.. I think he brings positive value offensively.  He's got power, hits righties, and can take a walk.  I think a team can afford to have an Alveraz.  I'd rather see Rasmus gone than Pedro.

3 minutes ago, gmelson26 said:

I hope not.. I think he brings positive value offensively.  He's got power, hits righties, and can take a walk.  I think a team can afford to have an Alveraz.  I'd rather see Rasmus gone than Pedro.

I think I had too. Trumbo is the one that needs to go but I know he will be back in the lineup when he comes back. 

1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

I think I had too. Trumbo is the one that needs to go but I know he will be back in the lineup when he comes back. 

Yeah unfortunately that's not happening.  We have to hope he's closer to 47 HRs this year than last.

• 2 weeks later...

Kind’ve funny to read the early pages of this thread, now that Pedro has been one of our most productive hitters to date, hitting .292/.469/.625.    And this guy is a slow starter!

Pedro is really seeing the ball well right now.    I’ve seen him lay off a ton of close pitches just off the plate.

So the trick is, what do we do when Trumbo’s ready to come back?    Neither he nor Pedro is fit to play the field, and I can’t see the O’s paying Trumbo $13 mm to be the short side of a platoon.   Truth is, if you’re stuck with Davis and Trumbo, it’s hard to find a spot for Pedro.    

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Truth is, if you’re stuck with Davis and Trumbo, it’s hard to find a spot for Pedro.    

Truth is, if you've got Pedro hitting like he is, it's hard to make a case for Davis and Trumbo (except in a futile chase after those lost $$$).

7 minutes ago, now said:

Truth is, if you've got Pedro hitting like he is, it's hard to make a case for Davis and Trumbo (except in a futile chase after those lost $$$).

Agreed.    Of course, Pedro will cool down, and who knows how Trumbo will do when he returns, whenever that is.  

On 4/4/2018 at 6:21 AM, Can_of_corn said:

I've never understood the fascination.  No idea why he made the team.  Platoon DH that you absolutely can't play in the field.

Another Buck guy? And right now I would rather have him up there then Davis.

• 2 weeks later...

Pedro hit 2 homers today after replacing Valencia at 3B at the last minute.    The second homer was at a 45 degree launch angle, something you don’t see every day.  

By the way, hittrackeronline appears to be defunct.    I was going to look up the homer with the highest launch angle but the site says it’s no longer operating.  

Archived