Mancini LF, Santander RF, Rasmus DH

sportsfan8703

What the heck was Buck thinking?  Mancini has worked his butt off to become a “playable” LF, but better than Rasmus?

Buck is the GOAT, but he’s managing like it’s ST still.

Does Mancini need extra reps in LF to get better?  Is he really a better LF option over Santander and Rasmus?  

Does Buck get a break because he played Gentry over Rasmus in game one, and Gentry made that catch? If so, play Gentry. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't see anything wrong with Buck's lineup yesterday.

Facing a lefty today.  Hope he sits Davis.

Beckham 3B

Manny SS

Schoop 2B

Jones CF

Mancini 1B

Valencia DH

Rasmus RF  (two homers off Keuchel)

Joseph C

Santander LF

Just now, TommyPickles said:

It was a tough one, but really wish Mancini could have caught that ball that turned into an inside the park home run.

Had he, Wright woulda pitched 5 and allowed only 1 run. The momentum would of swung our way.

I see no reason to bench Mancini.  He hit a homer the night before and had one taken away on a good play at the field.  O's need Mancini in the lineup.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I see no reason to bench Mancini.  He hit a homer the night before and had one taken away on a good play at the field.  O's need Mancini in the lineup.

I don’t think the OP is suggesting that Mancini should have been benched.   The issue is, if Rasmus is in the lineup, why put him at DH and put Mancini and Santander in the field, when Rasmus is the best defender of the three?   That’s a very good question IMO.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I don't see anyone advocating benching Mancini.  His bat has looked pretty good so far.  I do think it's fair to question whether he should be the de facto everyday LF when Rasmus is on the team.

EDIT - Nevermind - Frobby had already made my point :)

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think the OP is suggesting that Mancini should have been benched.   The issue is, if Rasmus is in the lineup, why put him at DH and put Mancini and Santander in the field, when Rasmus is the best defender of the three?   That’s a very good question IMO.

Yeah, I didn't like that at all.  Buck has done more than enough to earn the benefit of the doubt, but we're staring a terrible start to the season right in the face and he has to put the best team on the field.

Why does Buck keep doing this?  Is Mancini really better than Rasmus or Santander in LF?  Is Rasmus a little hurt?  Does Mancini not like to DH?  What gives?

Seems like to me we could be rotating guys through the DH spot while we have the chance. Put the best defensive lineup out there and give some guys a day off in the field at least. 

I’m glad we won but I wish the beat reporters would find this out. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why does Buck keep doing this?  Is Mancini really better than Rasmus or Santander in LF?  Is Rasmus a little hurt?  Does Mancini not like to DH?  What gives?

Seems like to me we could be rotating guys through the DH spot while we have the chance. Put the best defensive lineup out there and give some guys a day off in the field at least. 

I think that (cringe) it's a seniority thing.  Mancini put the time in with the team last year so he's earned the right to be in LF everyday.  That could be Buck's line of thinking.  It's the same reason you could still see Tillman in the rotation when Cobb is activated. 

By all accounts, Rasmus and even Santander are better defensive outfielders than Mancini.  Mancini should be the DH if both of them are in the lineup.  That is pretty clear.  Or stick Mancini at 1B and DH Davis.  

16 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I think that (cringe) it's a seniority thing.  Mancini put the time in with the team last year so he's earned the right to be in LF everyday.  That could be Buck's line of thinking.  It's the same reason you could still see Tillman in the rotation when Cobb is activated. 

By all accounts, Rasmus and even Santander are better defensive outfielders than Mancini.  Mancini should be the DH if both of them are in the lineup.  That is pretty clear.  Or stick Mancini at 1B and DH Davis.  

Mancini has worked hard to be serviceable out there. But c’mon he’s not better than Santander, Gentry, or Rasmus, at any OF spot. 

Buck is big on confidence. Maybe he doesn’t want to rattle Mancini early in the season and just let him play LF. 

My point is that we don’t have to sacrifice the glove right now if LF for the bat. It’s already cost us a few times. 

Houston won a WS last year and they are shifting 3-4 guys around a game for the smallest defensive edge. Meanwhile we have guys that haven’t won anything and they are entrenched in positions, or feel entitled. 

I imagine Buck just doesn't want to move Mancini around, rather let him keep getting accustomed to LF, because as long as Trumbo and CD are on the team LF is his position if we want his bat in the lineup. For me the question is why not Santander at DH and Rasmus in RF if you want the defense.

Depending on who is in the lineup we should always have the best defense on the field. 

Plus can these dudes get a day off from the field?  Let’s keep AJ fresh. We have an opportunity right now to rest him occasionally by DHing him. 

Buck’s managing style has won us a lot of games, but when you watch other teams have players willing to play all over the place, it makes you think. And that’s why we got Beckham. He wouldn’t do that for TB. 

We have guys like that are barely established regulars, entrenched in their positions. 

We all hate on Davis, but at least he has played all over the place when we’ve needed. We should’ve been able to go to Beckham and say, “look we really need a RH OF, and there are some unexpected options available at 3rd, the club needs you to play some RF.”

Beckham is owed a position. Mancini is entrenched in LF. What have these guys ever won?  “Player’s Manager.”  

Archived