Amidst this sea of negativity

Frobby

There were some positives last night.    Mike Wright pitched a respectable game and a number of cold bats warmed up.     The bullpen let us down but I was still glad to see some runs on the board and a game that was competitive until the late innings.    I know it’s all doom and gloom when your team is 1-4, but hopefully the team draws on the positives and starts turning things around.   

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I'm strange, but I basically don't pay attention to any details until May.  Sure, wild extremes can be troubling or encouraging.  But unless someone is injured you gain essentially no actionable information out of even 2-3 weeks of games.  Almost all April baseball is some combination of unwarranted exuberance and/or confirmation bias.

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I know I'm strange, but I basically don't pay attention to any details until May.  Sure, wild extremes can be troubling or encouraging.  But unless someone is injured you gain essentially no actionable information out of even 2-3 weeks of games.  Almost all April baseball is some combination of unwarranted exuberance and/or confirmation bias.

What if we start 1-9?

12 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

(Places tongue firmly in cheek)

No!!!!!  Yesterday proves we need to fire the manager, cut about 4 players and possibly involves voodoo to fix.  Your just being unreasonable with facts.  You want facts, the Orioles are playing .200 baseball!  You want more?  The Orioles have fallen from 1.000 baseball to .200 baseball in only 4 games.  4 games!!!!  Yeah yeah small sample size...yadda yadda yadda, this is a crisis and crises demand action.  A-C-T-I-O-N...action.

I mean, at this rate we will be 1-161!  If we can merely improve enough to stop the bleeding and maintain at this lofty .200 level, we will only win 32 games.  These are facts bud.  Yeah, you sure are strange.

12 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

A quick search revealed there were six teams with fewer than 10 wins at the end of April that have made the playoffs since the wild card. April does matter.

3 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

A quick search revealed there were six teams with fewer than 10 wins at the end of April that have made the playoffs since the wild card. April does matter.

Look every game matters.  They do.  Losing 7 in a row in April hurts just as much as losing 7 in a row in September.  But your own math says its not a death knell.  It's a slow start.  It aint 0-21 but, shouldn't we see a few more games.

I mean if I want to take your statement above....there probably will be no playoffs this year.  I just checked the standings and there is not 1 team....not 1 who has more than 10 wins in April.

Somethings gotta give....

Lets win today and go from there...ok?

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There were some positives last night.    Mike Wright pitched a respectable game and a number of cold bats warmed up.     The bullpen let us down but I was still glad to see some runs on the board and a game that was competitive until the late innings.    I know it’s all doom and gloom when your team is 1-4, but hopefully the team draws on the positives and starts turning things around.   

Yes, I was pleased we finally scored on a starting pitcher.  Who knew Verlander was the weak guy in our first week?  Also very pleased that Mike Wright did his job and gave us a chance.  I think amid a slow start and two bad SP outings he stood up and held his ground.  Bull pen didn't do it's job, but as you note above the O's showed fight last night.  Something to build on....Lets win today and go from there.

19 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Yes, extremes do matter.  But starting 1-4?  You'd prefer not to, but overreaction is more of a concern than anything else right now.  Luckily team management is about five times more patient than the fanbase.

27 minutes ago, foxfield said:

(Places tongue firmly in cheek)

No!!!!!  Yesterday proves we need to fire the manager, cut about 4 players and possibly involves voodoo to fix.  Your just being unreasonable with facts.  You want facts, the Orioles are playing .200 baseball!  You want more?  The Orioles have fallen from 1.000 baseball to .200 baseball in only 4 games.  4 games!!!!  Yeah yeah small sample size...yadda yadda yadda, this is a crisis and crises demand action.  A-C-T-I-O-N...action.

I mean, at this rate we will be 1-161!  If we can merely improve enough to stop the bleeding and maintain at this lofty .200 level, we will only win 32 games.  These are facts bud.  Yeah, you sure are strange.

The Orioles actually did hire a "witch-doctor" in August of 1975 to put a curse on the Red Sox, whom they were chasing for the AL East title, right down to sticking pins in the voodoo dolls.

2 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

The Orioles actually did hire a "witch-doctor" in August of 1975 to put a curse on the Red Sox, whom they were chasing for the AL East title, right down to sticking pins in the voodoo dolls.

Yes, and I have it on good authority that the result was nearly enough to propel the REDSOX to a World Series win.  95 Wins to claim AL East, a sweep of The A's in the ALCS.  Took every last pin in that doll to make that damn ball stay fair in game 6 for Carlton Fisk.  Baseball gods are funny that way! ;) 

17 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Look every game matters.  They do.  Losing 7 in a row in April hurts just as much as losing 7 in a row in September.  But your own math says its not a death knell.  It's a slow start.  It aint 0-21 but, shouldn't we see a few more games.

I mean if I want to take your statement above....there probably will be no playoffs this year.  I just checked the standings and there is not 1 team....not 1 who has more than 10 wins in April.

Somethings gotta give....

Lets win today and go from there...ok?

It is only April 4th and no team has even played 10 games, so a rather non-relevant comparison. I was just stating a review of teams with poor starts that made the playoffs. Oakland had won only 8 games by the end of April and ended up with 102 wins. No team has won only 7 games by April's end and made the playoff. Quite a few here have stated how difficult the O's April schedule is, if they continue to play as poorly as they are, in all phases of the game, they will be lucky to win 8-10 games.

Archived