Our 3B Defense is Atrocious!

pastorfan

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Of course balls that the 3Bman can't get to are more likely to be turned into doubles than singles, so a bad 3Bman may cost a team as many TOTAL BASES as a bad SS, even if there are more balls hit to the SS.

If that were the case then the 1B would be motr important than the SS.  Manny more balls are hit in the hole and up the middle than down the line.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, El Gordo said:

If that were the case then the 1B would be motr important than the SS.  Manny more balls are hit in the hole and up the middle than down the line.

I have seen a lot more bad 3rd basemen than bad short stops. Usually if you can't play Shortstop you don't stay there very long. 

20 hours ago, El Gordo said:

I

SS is for many reasons, chief among them the fact that the SS gets more chances on average than the 3B.

I always thought that was such a weak reason. The chances are easier, and it's easier to find players who excel defensively at SS than it is who excel at 3B. The chances are more difficult at 3B, the reaction has to be quicker, the throws are longer and at a weirder angle, the slow roller makes you have to be decent at the bare-handed play, etc. 

29 minutes ago, interloper said:

I always thought that was such a weak reason. The chances are easier, and it's easier to find players who excel defensively at SS than it is who excel at 3B. The chances are more difficult at 3B, the reaction has to be quicker, the throws are longer and at a weirder angle, the slow roller makes you have to be decent at the bare-handed play, etc. 

The chances are not easier and the throws can be longer. The SS has a wider range to cover and has to make many throws off balance as he rarely has the time to set himself like the 3B has., He also has more responsibilities, such as the DP,. taking throws on steals and relays. Why do you suppose the positional adjustment is the greatest for SS

38 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think SS is more important.    Not only do more ground balls come into their zone, but they have much more responsibility on stolen base attempts, double plays, relays from the OF, etc.    

On 4/16/2018 at 2:40 PM, Can_of_corn said:

You spoke of me quoting you incorrectly and I agreed that I did misquote you.

Did I call him a good shotstop?

First, I want to say that it was not a big deal that you slightly misquoted me. All good.

You did not say in this thread that Beckham was a good shortstop. I thought you were taking objection to me calling him a liability defensively at the position. I am guilty of putting words in your mouth. I am sorry for my action.

I thought you had said elsewhere you thought he was above average at SS. What is your opinion? Do you watch/follow the Rays similarly to how you follow the Orioles?

1 minute ago, Beef Supreme said:

First, I want to say that it was not a big deal that you slightly misquoted me. All good.

You did not say in this thread that Beckham was a good shortstop. I thought you were taking objection to me calling him a liability defensively at the position. I am guilty of putting words in your mouth. I am sorry for my action.

I thought you had said elsewhere you thought he was above average at SS. What is your opinion? Do you watch/follow the Rays similarly to how you follow the Orioles?

NP.

I think he's pretty average overall.  Nice range but lacks concentration.  Will make a great play then boot one.  I was pleased enough with how he did last season for the O's despite the errors.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

NP.

I think he's pretty average overall.  Nice range but lacks concentration.  Will make a great play then boot one.  I was pleased enough with how he did last season for the O's despite the errors.

That’s what I saw last year.  

On 4/16/2018 at 9:17 AM, maybenxtyr said:

I still say they should check on Trevor Plouffe. I don't know if he has a bat left, but he was an adequate 3rd baseman for a while. If he hits, they could put Beckham in the utility role when Schoop comes back.

I acknowledge that Plouffe is likely done, but the Orioles are going for it in their world.

Phillies just signed Plouffe.  Minor league deal.

Archived