Tomorrow's game officially postponed

SteveA

1 minute ago, bpilktree67 said:

Football is completely different they are all running around keeping them warm.  Only a few guys are needed to grip a ball.  They can take a break every few minutes if they are receiver or running back to warm up quick..  They also are not trying hit a baseball as hard as possible to get on base when it is like hitting a rock.

LOL.   It is not like they are playing baseball in sub zero temperatures.  Baseball as sports go is pretty low key physical. Of the sports I have played baseball is the least taxing.   Compared to sports I play today like basketball and racquetball I would say unless you are pitching or catching baseball is closer to golf on the physical exertion level. 

38 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Uh, this isn't the World Series....this is a somewhat meaningless early season game...besides several other games were cancelled for cold, wet weather...

So it makes sense to play the most important games of the season, in conditions that you wouldn’t play in early in the season. Got it.

9 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Uh, this isn't the World Series....this is a somewhat meaningless early season game...besides several other games were cancelled for cold, wet weather...

Uch, please don't push for the wussification of MLB.  When we were kids, we played in worse weather conditions on far worse fields.  Ya mean to tell me grown up professional athletes can't handle that?

It was cold, but not very wet.    I think it was uncomfortable but not dangerous.    I have no problem with the decision to play.   

Players have been playing in cold temperatures for the history of the game. It's part of the game and there has never been a spike of injuries caused by cold weather.

Is it not fun? Sure. Do the fans hate it? Yep. Is this highlighted by the fact that this has been a particularly brutal spring for most of the country? Absolutely.

The players wanted more off days throughout the season so they got an earlier start to the season because of it thanks to the new collective bargaining agreement that went into effect this year.

Get used to colder and less attended games earlier in the season.

Frankly, I believe its absurd at both ends of that argument...Dont play in freezing temperatures ever...how specific is that?Anything below 40 degrees should be a non starter....literally.

How wimpy do you think baseball players are that they can't play in 38 degree weather.  38 degrees isn't even cold.   If you are cold at 38 put on some long underwear and stop complaining.  They are only out in the field half the time anyway.  I would rather play in 38 degrees than 100 degrees with high humidity.  

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

ever have Tommy John surgery ? Ask Dylan Bundy if he was thrilled to be throwing with a wind chill of 28 degrees.

If he doesn't like it he can go to college and get an office job.   Just think what guys on the back of trash trucks feel like when it is 10 degrees outside.   What do you think roofers experience.  Or football players with all sorts of injuries on similar days. 

I don't hear the players complaining anyway.   I have been to games where it got down below 38 and besides drinking coffee instead of beer not much changed. 

7 hours ago, atomic said:

If he doesn't like it he can go to college and get an office job.   Just think what guys on the back of trash trucks feel like when it is 10 degrees outside.   What do you think roofers experience.  Or football players with all sorts of injuries on similar days. 

I don't hear the players complaining anyway.   I have been to games where it got down below 38 and besides drinking coffee instead of beer not much changed. 

I think you’re being a bit too harsh here.    Baseball is a game of skill and it’s not as well played when the weather’s as cold as it’s been.   I certainly think they should have played, but it’s definitely not a great environment for playing, or watching.    

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think you’re being a bit too harsh here.    Baseball is a game of skill and it’s not as well played when the weather’s as cold as it’s been.   I certainly think they should have played, but it’s definitely not a great environment for playing, or watching.    

I think both sides are right and both sides are wrong lol.

It's miserable to play baseball in the cold.  But sometimes in life you have to do things that are miserable.

Archived