Why is Davis starting against Left-Handed starters

atomic

Here are Davis' OPS against Left Handed Pitching in the last 5 years:

2014 .677
2015 .799
2016 .711
2017 .619
2018 .508  (1 hit in 13 at bats)

Is there anything in those stats that show you he should be a starting first baseman against left-handed starters?  

7 minutes ago, atomic said:

Here are Davis' OPS against Left Handed Pitching in the last 5 years:

2014 .677
2015 .799
2016 .711
2017 .619
2018 .508  (1 hit in 13 at bats)

Is there anything in those stats that show you he should be a starting first baseman against left-handed starters?  

I think the 2015/16 numbers are good enough where you wouldn’t platoon a guy.    So the O’s are giving Davis exposure to LHP to see whether he can do better than in 2017.    So far the answer is no, in 13 at bats, which isn’t a ton.   

Also, the absence of Trumbo and Schoop made things a bit tricky, since the obvious RH replacement, Valencia, was playing 3B for a couple of days.   For the most  part, all the RHBs have been playing vs. LHP.    Gentry and Santander each haven’t started 2 games.   Otherwise all the RHB have been fully deployed vs. LH starters.  

I think the answer to this is largely the roster make up.

Trey Mancini or Danny Valencia could play first, but they're needed in other spots. If the team sent down one of the infielders and brought up another OF like Hays or Mullins--or even Rickard--I think you'd see Davis more likely to sit against LHP with Mancini at first.

Who else is gonna do it?  

I don't like it either, but let's not pretend that he's playing instead of the next Joey Votto or something.  That's the thing about complaining about this team, pretending like there's a WAAAAAY better solution immediately accessible.  Not with this group as presently constructed.

59 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Who else is gonna do it?  

I don't like it either, but let's not pretend that he's playing instead of the next Joey Votto or something.  That's the thing about complaining about this team, pretending like there's a WAAAAAY better solution immediately accessible.  Not with this group as presently constructed.

As Davis is going to be much less than replacement level against left-handed pitching they need to pick someone up. I am sure there is someone who can be had for next to nothing who can hit right handed hitting somewhere.  The problem I see they have besides Davis that provides nothing they have Satander who provides nothing.  He shouldn't have been on the team.  

Like I said all these rule 5 guys they get provide nothing.  Also, since we have been on the road we have only been pitching 8 innings per game.  Starters have been going far in games why not bring up another batter?  

I'm probably missing something but if you wanted to sit Davis vs. a LHer couldn't you have Santander, Gentry in the OF, Mancini at 1B and Valencia at DH. That lineup doesn't wow me either....

3 minutes ago, stef said:

I'm probably missing something but if you wanted to sit Davis vs. a LHer couldn't you have Santander, Gentry in the OF, Mancini at 1B and Valencia at DH. That lineup doesn't wow me either....

Yes, that's probably the lineup I'd use, too, based on the current roster. And I agree, it doesn't wow me, but I'd rather give at-bats to Santander than Davis.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss Mark Trumbo. Only in this very specific instance.

Archived