Time to put Manny back at 3rd and Beckham back at ss

forphase1

After seeing Beckham miss two more bad plays already in this game, and it's only the 2nd inning, I think it's clear this experiment needs to stop.  I don't really care about what Manny wants, we need to do what's best for the team.  And that's having Manny at 3rd and Beckham at Shortstop.  While we certainly have other issues on the team, this is a glaring issue and needs resolved.  

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone tell me why we moved Beckham to third? He has no arm.

If Manny has to play short, why didn't we move Schoop - who has a rocket arm - to third and Beckham to 2nd? Yes, I know Schoop is hurt now but that's what I"d do.

As it stands right now, we need runs. Valencia needs to be at third. Beckham 2nd.

Agree. Not only can Beckham not make the plays, he also didn't properly cover the bag on a play, which led to everyone being safe.

The Davis leadoff experiment didn't work, and neither is this. The Orioles don't have the personnel to do it. Beckham hurts us much less at SS than 3B, I think that's been made very clear. Manny will get to most of his balls from 3B anyway.  

1 hour ago, forphase1 said:

After seeing Beckham miss two more bad plays already in this game, and it's only the 2nd inning, I think it's clear this experiment needs to stop.  I don't really care about what Manny wants, we need to do what's best for the team.  And that's having Manny at 3rd and Beckham at Shortstop.  While we certainly have other issues on the team, this is a glaring issue and needs resolved.  

As Tony might say, "Beckham being Beckam".  But Manny really likes SS.

7 minutes ago, Rojo13 said:

If Manny has to play short, why didn't we move Schoop - who has a rocket arm - to third and Beckham to 2nd? Yes, I know Schoop is hurt now but that's what I"d do.

As it stands right now, we need runs. Valencia needs to be at third. Beckham 2nd.

Schoop played 3B when he first came up but he played poorly there.  He struggled with hard hit balls--I don't think he has the quick reactions needed for a third baseman.  

Why didn't we just sign Moustakas?  

1 hour ago, Emory Eagle said:

If having Manny at SS improves his trade value, I'd say that its best for the team that he stays there. Assuming the Os actually trade him.

It would appear that we have to think beyond wins and losses this year, unfortunately. 

He plays worse at SS so I’m not sure it’s better for his trade value at all. 

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

Schoop played 3B when he first came up but he played poorly there.  He struggled with hard hit balls--I don't think he has the quick reactions needed for a third baseman.  

Why didn't we just sign Moustakas?  

Yep, signing another guy in decline to a long term contract would have been the move to make.

1 hour ago, forphase1 said:

Won't Beckham just miss more balls at SS? I would only care about this is Manny was missing plays at SS.

18 minutes ago, Rojo13 said:

Can someone tell me why we moved Beckham to third ??? He has no arm.

If Manny has to play short, why didn't we move Schoop - who has a rocket arm - to third and Beckham to 2nd ??? Yes, I know that Schoop is hurt now, but that's what I'd do.

o

o

Conventional logic is that SS is the most important infield position. I disagree when you have a 3B as good as Manny, particularly when it's at the cost of switching him with such a BAD replacement. Beckham may miss a few plays at SS, but he will make plenty of them, and at least has Manny as a nice safety net to his backhand side. And if something does get by him, it's going directly to the LF or CF if he's playing SS. Right now, he's giving up doubles (and triples, apparently) at an alarming rate. Manny is a prolific doubles defender. I agree - we need to switch them back. I don't care about the mercenary's feelings.

40 minutes ago, Rojo13 said:

Manny wanted to move to Shortstop as he thought it helped his free agent value. Evidently he is running the team. 

36 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep, signing another guy in decline to a long term contract would have been the move to make.

It would not have taken more than 3 years, and I said all along that he was the guy to get. I see him play all the time hear in Missouri. BTW, he is hitting .348 with 4 HR's and 13 rbi's for the hapless Royals right now. Small sample size? Sure. But I still think Moose would have been the smart play, especially after you traded Manny for a few good prospects.

Archived