Could Mullins move Jones to right field?

wildcard

Santander has three weeks to show he belongs in the majors.    His 44 days will be up on May 11th.  He currently has a .559 OPS.  It has to improve or it will probably punch his ticket to the minors.  Most of the outfielder in the O's minors aren't doing much better.    Presley .600 OPS, Stewart 625 OPS, Saunders .589 OPS, Brugman .292 OPS and at AA Hays 660 OPS.    

But there is one outfielder that is hitting pretty well.  Mullins has an .832 OPS.  He has shown he is a plus centerfielder with some power.   But his arm will not fit in right field.   He has to play center or left field.    

Now this can all change rapidly  but if it is anything  close to what is happening now,  would Jones move to right to make room for Mullins in center?

Just now, wildcard said:

Santander has three weeks to show he belongs in the majors.    His 44 days will be up on May 11th.  He currently has a .559 OPS.  It has to improve or it will probably punch his ticket to the minors.  Most of the outfielder in the O's minors aren't doing much better.    Presley .600 OPS, Stewart 625 OPS, Saunders .589 OPS, Brugman .292 OPS and at AA Hays 660 OPS.    

But there is one outfielder that is hitting pretty well.  Mullins has an .832 OPS.  He has shown he is a plus centerfield with some power.   But his arm will not fit in right field.   He has to play center or left field.    

Now this can all change rapidly  but if it is anything  close to what is happening now,  would Jones move to right to make room of Mullins in center?

No.  And I don't think Buck would even ask him.

I would say not this year, no.  Mullins needs more time to develop, and Jones is not going to move in the final year of his contract.

If Jones would be willing to sign a 2-3 year extension, and if Mullins develops well, I could see Mullins taking over in CF next year with Jones sliding to a corner OF spot.

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

No, the next move will probably be Trumbo for Santander. Rebuild starts next year, we are in it to win right now!!!!

I can't see the O's making Trumbo the everyday right fielder.   Trumbo's return probably means Vielma or Sardinas  goes to the minors.

I love Jones and everything he's done for this team, but at some point he's going to need to realize that he's getting older and the range isn't there anymore.

I hope he doesn't do the Jeter thing and insist on playing his position even though everyone knows that the range and effectiveness isn't there.  I can easily see that happening.  

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I love Jones and everything he's done for this team, but at some point he's going to need to realize that he's getting older and the range isn't there anymore.

I hope he doesn't do the Jeter thing and insist on playing his position even though everyone knows that the range and effectiveness isn't there.  I can easily see that happening.  

Well fortunately for the Orioles his contract comes up at a time when the move is really unavoidable.  It should have been done a year or 2 ago, but at this point I'm fine with just letting him finish out the string in CF this year, since we don't really have anyone else ready just yet.  But any contract negotiations beyond this year would dictate that he move to a corner OF spot.

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

No, the next move will probably be Trumbo for Santander. Rebuild starts next year, we are in it to win right now!!!!

I could see this happening. Though the thought of watching Trumbo try to play the outfield makes me queasy, most of what the O’s are doing now does as well so what’s the difference. Santander is showing some flashes but ultimately not producing. Rasmus is on the DL still with no signs of returning (could he even be done with that hip?) and has looked horrible anyway. Could we try Trumbo in right for a few weeks in hopes that playing the field wakes up his dormant bat? He is a career .857 OPS as a RF, compared to a career .703 as a DH. I think last year, in a SSS, he was better when playing the field, too.

We need offense badly.  I’m certainly not saying it’ll definitely work, but I’d try this in a heartbeat, though I know RF play will become a mess.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I can't see the O's making Trumbo the everyday right fielder.   Trumbo's return probably means Vielma or Sardinas  goes to the minors.

Then there is Colby.  Decisions, decisions....I could see a Trumbo/Colby platoon somewhere in our future...pretty cheesy, if you ask me. 

Santander is going down I suspect once he hits the keeper mark.   Or maybe they just release Colby. 

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Or maybe he could insist on moving back to short.  Since that seems to be a possibility for most veterans. 

Only way I see Jones not playing CF is if he gets traded. 

I think they have to give someone a shot once Santander gets sent back down. I still think Hays has a good chance to be up then. If they don’t think he is ready maybe they platoon Gentry with one of the LHH veterans from AAA.  

Lord I hope we don’t see Trumbo in the OF. The defense is hard enough to watch as it is. 

Just now, interloper said:

I've been disappointed by Santander at the plate, but it seems silly to judge him while guys like Beckham and Davis and Valencia etc are all hitting under .200.

He is kid. I see some skills but he had played 16 games in AA before being called up. He isn’t a finished product. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I've been disappointed by Santander at the plate, but it seems silly to judge him while guys like Beckham and Davis and Valencia etc are all hitting under .200.

Agreed.  I still think he should be in the lineup every day.  

Archived