A.J. Cole DFA by Nats; the O’s should claim him

Frobby

A.J. Cole is sort of the Nats’ version of Mike Wright; he has had good success in the minors that’s never translated to the majors.    He was considered a top 100 prospect back when he had prospect status.   At this point, I’d rather try him than give more chances to our Mike Wright.    And assuming Tillman has another bad start today, I’d rather have Cole than Tillman, too.   Hoping we put in a claim and jettison one of those two if we get him.  

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is definitely a DD type of move in years past. While it will not be definitive if the Orioles pass on him, it may indicate that Dan does not have any control, or money to spend.

I also hope they pick him up and release Wright and at some point Tillman.

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

A.J. Cole is sort of the Nats’ version of Mike Wright; he has had good success in the minors that’s never translated to the majors.    He was considered a top 100 prospect back when he had prospect status.   At this point, I’d rather try him than give more chances to our Mike Wright.    And assuming Tillman has another bad start today, I’d rather have Cole than Tillman, too.   Hoping we put in a claim and jettison one of those two if we get him.  

Claim would require all National League teams passing of course. And I agree if he is even placed on waivers. I think he will be traded to the Padres.

38 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't see AJ Cole as an upgrade.  I would pass.   Out of options.   He needs to be in AAA at this point,  Not on the O's 25 man roster.

Seriously?  How can he NOT be an upgrade over Tillman?  I confess I haven't watched Cole pitch this year but I told it hard to believe his stuff and command has deteriorated the way Tillman's has.

I'm with Frobby.  Do it!

How does the waiver claim work?  Would he only have to get past the teams with worse records than us (KC, White Sox, Miami, Cinc) or would he have to get past the whole NL and the Royals and White Sox?

1 hour ago, oriole said:

Could we trade Mike Wright for him? Then the Nats can DFA Wright and no one will claim him and they can stash him in the minors. Anything is better than the Wright/Tillman tandem we have now.

I don't generally watch the Nats so I don't know what's happened to Cole's stuff in recent years; his AAA numbers have not been good the last two years.  Still, he was once a top prospect and I would think a team like Cincinnati would jump at the chance to claim him on waivers.  I would try to work out a trade such as the one suggested above; he can't be worse than Chris Tillman.  

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Seriously?  How can he NOT be an upgrade over Tillman?  I confess I haven't watched Cole pitch this year but I told it hard to believe his stuff and command has deteriorated the way Tillman's has.

I'm with Frobby.  Do it!

How does the waiver claim work?  Would he only have to get past the teams with worse records than us (KC, White Sox, Miami, Cinc) or would he have to get past the whole NL and the Royals and White Sox?

NL first.

23 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I'm with Frobby.  Do it!

There are other pitchers that will become available.  AJ Cole looks like more of the same with Tillman and Wright. 

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So dump Cole if he doesn’t perform better.  

O's don't do that.  If they claim him, he is on the 25 man roster,   they will stick with him for a while.     I want better pitchers.  Not more of the same.

Orioles have been connected to him in the past I think.  They were connected to liking Preston Tucker for years too and they didn't act on that and he was traded now he leads the league in RBI.

Go get former top prospects because sometimes all they need is a change of scenery.

53 minutes ago, wildcard said:

O's don't do that.  If they claim him, he is on the 25 man roster,   they will stick with him for a while.     I want better pitchers.  Not more of the same.

Cole had a 3.81 ERA last year in 8 starts and 3 relief appearances.   That’s more than Wright has done. And he’s younger.    I definitely consider him an upgrade, though still one with a risk of failure.    

3 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I don't generally watch the Nats so I don't know what's happened to Cole's stuff in recent years; his AAA numbers have not been good the last two years.  Still, he was once a top prospect and I would think a team like Cincinnati would jump at the chance to claim him on waivers.  I would try to work out a trade such as the one suggested above; he can't be worse than Chris Tillman.  

This is funny.  A team like Cincinnati?  Orioles aren't too far from them.  We might have some more household names but the results are almost as crappy.

Archived