Deadline Trades

Bahama O's Fan

3 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

If Davis shows no signs of life by mid-season, I hope the Orioles just decide to cut bait.   I'd much rather see Mancini on first base, with an outfield of Hays, Mullins, Stewart.  

So would I, but there is absolutely no way that happens.  The O's wouldn't release Jimenez and eat a $12M/yr salary, there's no way they release Davis and eat twice that much.  Just isn't going to happen.  What's going to happen is he's going to be our Ryan Howard, and at some point will languish on the bench.  Even that probably won't happen until 2020 or 2021 - they'll use all available resources to try and help him turn things around, as they should, in all honesty.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Oriol3s said:

I think Machado is the only guy who WOULDN'T take the QO.

At this point, I absolutely agree.  Britton would take it to reestablish himself, Brach bc he might suck now, and Jones, well, I think he just wants out, so he might not take an offer.  I think someone will pay Jones decent money to play RF for 3 or 4 years, so I could see him reject it.

5 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

If Davis shows no signs of life by mid-season, I hope the Orioles just decide to cut bait.   I'd much rather see Mancini on first base, with an outfield of Hays, Mullins, Stewart.  

You left out the part of your plan regarding what you plan to do with Jones.

On 4/22/2018 at 8:13 AM, Bahama O's Fan said:

One of the silver linings that could come out of playing bad from the beginning of the season is the hope of the team seeing a need to SELL at the deadline early and can begin fielding offers for any pieces that we are willing to trade. So which pieces should we put on the market? Who do you think will be interested in each? What kind of return can we expect? Oh, and is there ANY way we can get out of the Trumbo and Davis deals?

Four pages later and the answer is still no. 

27 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

You left out the part of your plan regarding what you plan to do with Jones.

Good point.   I was thinking of NEXT year's possible outfield.

I could see Jones being dealt at some point.   He's not going to want to stick around here if we are floundering.   Hopefully, he can be dealt to a contender and get a chance at a ring. 

On 4/22/2018 at 12:00 PM, Reboulet'sStache said:

At some point people are going to realize, unless you have a cost controlled team and a farm system constantly bringing you new guys, you trade relievers the second you can for the return.  
We kept JJ after his 2012 season when he had value, and it hurt us.  Refused to trade Britton when he was the best closer in baseball and team control on his K, and it's really hurt us.  Didn't trade Brach when he was one of the hottest setup men in baseball with team control, and its hurt us. 
Always sell high on them when they are at their peak trading value.  

Quoting just to give this point of view a bump. It just makes so much sense, and is supported so strongly by Orioles evidence. I mean, WTF? 

Is it loyalty? Misguided marketing? Sheer incompetence? :noidea:

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Buck likes having established closers.

Right you are. Which I guess gets back to him being able to overrule the GM or dictate roster decisions... The latest version of chronic Orioles FO dysfunction.

I'd be curious to see bigger data on the expected shelf life of dominance for that popular brand, Established Closer.

On 4/23/2018 at 9:24 AM, clapdiddy said:

I agree with you. 

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I think at this point I'd rather not have Duquette making deals for our FAs and instead collect whatever draft picks we can accumulate for the likely new GM in 2019.

I don't think it'll be DD. I believe Brady is the one who will be in charge. DD is just a figurehead. IMO 

We really need to land some SP depth and SS/2B/3B prospects at the deadline. 

2019 isn’t looking too bad. We just gotta get there. At least we will be playing a different brand of baseball. 

SP: Bundy, Cobb, Gausman, Cashner, Harvey/Akin

RP: Givens, Bleier, Castro, Arajuo, Scott, Hess, Melville/ etc...

OF:  Mancini, Stewart, Mullins, Hays, Santander/Rickard/Rifeala

IF: Beckham, Schoop, Davis, ??????

C: Sisco, Susac, Wynns

DH: Trumbo, Mountcastle  

Archived