Buck confident in Davis' resurgence: 'It's there'

Bonecrusher52

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What else is he going to say? He's signed for an eternity and the Orioles are praying to every god they can find that he somehow turns it around. Unless he thinks that Davis is not doing the work or doesn't care, then there's nothing else Showalter can say. I think it's more interesting and probably a heck of a lot more telling that he benched Davis. The LH/RH platoon has either arrived or will arrive soon. 

p.s. No decent manager would say anything substantially different than Buck unless they think the player is not working hard or trying. 

If Davis doesn't return to the lineup next year with an extremely different batting stance, then there's no hope. He has to make adjustments to counteract his inability to get to fastballs. It can be done. It won't necessarily be successful, but they have to try.

Word is they're tinkering with things already, so I hope on Tuesday we see Davis look a little different at the plate, even just visually. It will at least give the impression they're trying. His mechanics MUST change. There's no other option left to try. 

What are the chances the O's could negotiate a buyout? At least limit the damage. At this rate, the O's basically have a self imposed Chris Davis penalty of one roster spot and $17 million (plus $4 million deferred). 

What if they could get it down to $10 million per year? They could then at least field a league average first baseman and sign another above average player for $7 million. Sure, you're asking Davis to put almost $30 million back on the table. But after taxes, that's closer to $15 million. 

2 minutes ago, Santandah said:

What are the chances the O's could negotiate a buyout? At least limit the damage. At this rate, the O's basically have a self imposed Chris Davis penalty of one roster spot and $17 million (plus $4 million deferred). 

What if they could get it down to $10 million per year? They could then at least field a league average first baseman and sign another above average player for $7 million. Sure, you're asking Davis to put almost $30 million back on the table. But after taxes, that's closer to $15 million. 

Doesn't work like that.  The union would never allow it.  It's all guaranteed.  He's getting every cent.  Just a question of whether he's helping the team more by being on the 25 or not being on the 25.

1 minute ago, Ripken said:

Doesn't work like that.  The union would never allow it.  It's all guaranteed.  He's getting every cent.  Just a question of whether he's helping the team more by being on the 25 or not being on the 25.

Union doesn't have the power to stop it.

I don't think Davis would do it.

13 minutes ago, Santandah said:

Why would the other side negotiate?  The money is owed unless he fails drug tests again. 

9 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Really Davis needs to go to extended spring training or some kind of training where he just focuses on his swing for a month.  I'm sure he's too proud to do that.  Expect to see Davis as a regular for a long time.  Buck batted Vlad cleanup all year.

To be fair, Vlad did at least his .290 (albeit by swinging at almost literally every pitch). Right now, I'd happily take a .733 OPS from Davis.

"It's there" right... because TTO players on the wrong side of thirty have such a great track record....

Maybe they can remake his swing to be a slap hitter that hits 20 HRs through sheer strength.  That's about the only way I envision him to be a useful player again.  But I don't think he has the body control for that.

Archived