Buck confident in Davis' resurgence: 'It's there'

Bonecrusher52

Just now, LC_O's_87 said:

Even in your crazy hypothetical, It would take a heck of a lot more than the deferred money to buy you out.

You are voluntarily giving up millions upon millions that the other party agreed to pay you, guaranteed.

You'd at least want some fair percentage of that money in that exchange.

That would be somewhere in the vicinity of 100% for me.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

So I've been thinking about this even more and I'm convinced that the Chris Davis signing is the worst contract / move made in the history of modern day baseball. I really wish there was some way we could get out of this contract mess. Some loophole that we could exploit.

Ryan Howard says hi.

0 WAR during his last contract.

If Davis retires tomorrow he would beat Howard.  (or, he would be behind howard in terms of worst value on a contract.)

Just now, LC_O's_87 said:

$$$...$$$...$$$.

Ah yes. I'm sure he hid his face behind a fanned-out stack of $100 bills every time he struck out.

Remember the scene in Dumb & Dumber when they're blowing their noses with cash from the briefcase? That's Chris Davis after every 0-5 performance.

31 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

Even in your crazy hypothetical, It would take a heck of a lot more than the deferred money to buy you out.

You are voluntarily giving up millions upon millions that the other party agreed to pay you, guaranteed.

You'd at least want some fair percentage of that money in that exchange.

After this season he gets 68 M. He would get 24 M in deferred money. So maybe gut the 68 M in half. Good lord he's already made about 78.5 M so far.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Really Davis needs to go to extended spring training or some kind of training where he just focuses on his swing for a month.  I'm sure he's too proud to do that.  Expect to see Davis as a regular for a long time.  Buck batted Vlad cleanup all year.

That's about enough time for HGH cycle or two.  

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

So I've been thinking about this even more and I'm convinced that the Chris Davis signing is the worst contract / move made in the history of modern day baseball. I really wish there was some way we could get out of this contract mess. Some loophole that we could exploit.

cough, cough (positive drug test) cough, cough

37 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Ryan Howard says hi.

0 WAR during his last contract.

If Davis retires tomorrow he would beat Howard.  (or, he would be behind howard in terms of worst value on a contract.)

...but Davis isn't going to retire tomorrow. I'm very confident in his ability to post negative WAR numbers for the next four seasons. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

cough, cough (positive drug test) cough, cough

I'd be lying if I said the thought didn't cross my mind. As backhanded as this sounds, I think the only thing they can do is make life miserable for him and hope his negotiates a buy out. That starts with benching him. 

45 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Can someone remind me? What did Ryan Howard do when he could no longer hit MLB pitching?

He played it out.   It should be noted, he never quite got to the level of futility Davis is at right now.   He had a 95 OPS+ over his 5 year deal, and his worst year was 85.   Davis is at 44 right now.   

56 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

McGwire for one didn't. I'm sure you can find other examples. 

So Mark McGwire is the one baseball player you respect?  And even then you are wrong.  McGwire did not walk away from his contract.  He didn't sign an extension and instead retired.  Please show me someone who walked away from over 100 million dollars in baseball which is what Chris has on his contract.

And I don't believe  for a second you if you were in Chris Davis shoes would walk away from his contract.  Davis just turned 32. I am guessing you are much older than Chris Davis.   

There is no reason to expect Chris Davis to walk away from the contract he signed. He got Boras as an agent for a reason.  If the Orioles are stupid enough to sign him to such a contract why should he not get the money he was entitled to?  

There are some cases.  Adam LaRoche (White Sox) walked away in 2016 leaving $13 million on the table over an issue with some players not open to him having his son in the locker room all the time.

Royals pitcher Gil Meche retired in 2011 and did not honor his contract which would have paid him $12 milllion dollars.  His reason was pretty rare.  He had a shoulder problem but didn't want surgery and didn't want to become a relief pitcher with a lesser work load.  He did it to save his self respect.  He didn't feel he was earning his money.  "When I signed my contract, my main goal was to earn it.  Once I started to realize I wasn't earning my money, I felt bad.  I was making a crazy amount of money for not even pitching.  Honestly, I didn't feel  like I deserved it.  I didn't want to have those feelings again."  Now, would Davis feel that way; that he isn't earning it?

This is worth a read:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-chris-davis-sits-20180429-story.html

This speaks volumes to me:

“That's one thing I talked to him about yesterday, without revealing a whole lot — you've got to get back to being a baseball player. I don’t want to get into the exact.”

If you remember, a lot of his issues started when his first child was born. I'm not trying to connect any dots there necessarily, but you have to wonder what external factors are having an impact on his play. I'd love to know exactly what Buck said to him though. We all see Buck as a players' manager, but something tells me he knows how to convey a message to a player when he needs to, regardless of said player's paycheck.

Archived