Orioles have the worst record in the AL

Uli2001

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm already to the point where I don't care what the Red Sox and Yankees do.

Me too.   I’m busy trying to figure out what TV shows I should catch up on this summer.    

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've seen enough teams go on inexplicable runs after a sell off that I wouldn't bet against it. 

I actually think replacing Jones with Hays would be an improvement. We have some young guys that could get me watching this team no matter the record. Hays, Mullins, Stewart. We're stuck with Davis, I've accepted that. But guys like Trumbo should just be dropped. Eat the money. I don't care. They will be saving enough on Manny, Jones, and Britton leaving that they can eat a year and a half of Trumbos dead money.

The more then loose though the better the chance for a top pick.  There is a big time SS named Booby Witt Jr. for the 2019 draft.  That would be a great addition to the team for the future and a position that we don't have much in the prospects ranking.  From a what I have read and heard he is the top prospect by far and not far off from the hype of Harper. 

The wheels have truly fallen off.   Everyone can see it except for the Orioles brass, evidently.  Manny should already be a Dodger, I don't care if it's before Memorial Day.  The only glimmer of hope I can hang on to, is DD mentioning Memorial Day.  It was strange to me that he mentioned that as a tipping point.  Almost as if it was a shot across the clubhouse bow.  Put them on notice that they have this month to salvage the season, otherwise they'll clean house.  Mind you, I'm still skeptical that they will, and other than Manny, we're not dealing from a position of strength, but I can only hope that they start entertaining offers on June 1.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've seen enough teams go on inexplicable runs after a sell off that I wouldn't bet against it. 

It tends to change the culture and change the locker room, so it wouldn't surprise me. Baseball is full of intangibles. 

11 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I actually think replacing Jones with Hays would be an improvement. We have some young guys that could get me watching this team no matter the record. Hays, Mullins, Stewart. We're stuck with Davis, I've accepted that. But guys like Trumbo should just be dropped. Eat the money. I don't care. They will be saving enough on Manny, Jones, and Britton leaving that they can eat a year and a half of Trumbos dead money.

That is what will get me watching again.  A sell-off and a chance to watch the youths night in night out.

That said, the "youth movement" will pretty much be limited to the 3 guys you mentioned plus a bullpen arm or two and anyone they get back in trades.

3 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

There is a big time SS named Booby Witt Jr. for the 2019 draft.  

Haha, he said Booby!

I remember Bobby Witt Sr. well.   No. 3 overall pick in 1985.    Great stuff, wild as a hare.   He managed to have a 16-year career as a starting pitcher despite walking 5 batters per 9 innings.   That’s hard to do.

I have to admit I am surprised at how bad the team appears to be (they could still turn it around, though it's not likely). I thought before the season that they would sniff .500 and perhaps, if they were lucky, sneak into a WC.

The way they are playing, which *is* below their talent level, tells me that the chemistry of this team and organization is shot.

16 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

That is what will get me watching again.  A sell-off and a chance to watch the youths night in night out.

That said, the "youth movement" will pretty much be limited to the 3 guys you mentioned plus a bullpen arm or two and anyone they get back in trades.

Maybe two yutes.

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It is really difficult to be this bad.  Some regression to the mean would seem to be inevitable.

From a 30,000 foot view, yes.  But taking into account how most of this team finished up last year and the start of this season, that sample size is getting bigger and bigger.  Yes, they can be THIS bad.  

Look closely at this roster and who we have in the minors and how good the Yankees and Sox are,  I don't think this team gets demonstrably by the end of the season.  Best case scenario from a wins perspective, they're hoping to catch the '88 team.  60 wins would be a miracle.  

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

From a 30,000 foot view, yes.  But taking into account how most of this team finished up last year and the start of this season, that sample size is getting bigger and bigger.  Yes, they can be THIS bad.  

Look closely at this roster and who we have in the minors and how good the Yankees and Sox are,  I don't think this team gets demonstrably by the end of the season.  Best case scenario from a wins perspective, they're hoping to catch the '88 team.  60 wins would be a miracle.  

I think they win around 70. This month will tell. 7 against the Rays,3 against the Royals and 4 against the White Sox. The schedule gets tougher again starting late in the month and beyond.

Just now, Going Underground said:

I think they win around 70. This month will tell. 7 against the Rays,3 against the Royals and 4 against the White Sox. The schedule gets tougher again starting late in the month and beyond.

To win 70, that means they have to play .530 ball over the remaining 130 games.  I don't see this team at .500 at all for any significant stretch of the season, let alone .530 for 130 games.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

To win 70, that means they have to play .530 ball over the remaining 130 games.  I don't see this team at .500 at all for any significant stretch of the season, let alone .530 for 130 games.  

It's definitely beginning to look like a 65 win team. It's going to take a really hot month to give the Orioles a chance to win 70. What a spectacularly bad season so far. Very disappointing.  

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

It is really difficult to be this bad.  Some regression to the mean would seem to be inevitable.

I would agree, but given most guys are already 100 ABs in, you are starting to establish statistically significant sample sizes. 

Archived