Tell me how this happens and don't tell me good organization

weams

The one time I saw Morton pitch was for the Pirates against the Nationals. Gave up 9 runs in 0.2 Innings, starting with a Bryce Harper HR. Vance Worley provided 4+ innings of shutout relief but the Pirates never scored. I guess he is their version of Arrieta.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, weams said:

Or health, or grip. Or coaching or grit. 

It's the end of a career. 6 MPH on the fastball and hugely improved spin rate.

https://www.mlb.com/news/charlie-morton-sets-strikeout-career-high/c-276477990?partnerId=ed-12604798-1071868193

Career Best 14 K

Well Weams I think it has something to do with Astros coaches. They are a well run organization. It must He something they are doing.

50 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The one time I saw Morton pitch was for the Pirates against the Nationals. Gave up 9 runs in 0.2 Innings, starting with a Bryce Harper HR. Vance Worley provided 4+ innings of shutout relief but the Pirates never scored. I guess he is their version of Arrieta.

At age 36?

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

He sped up his entire delivery, threw with more effort, aired it out. The mechanics aren’t significantly different, he just does everything harder.

This would lead to poor control, injury, or inability to hold stuff in most pitchers I’d guess. However, it might be worth it if you have a fringe starter with low effort delivery. For most though, you’d be asking for trouble.

I know these pitchers (the top few hundred who make it to the majors) can almost effortlessly throw hard, can digging deep and powering through truly add for velocity for them all?  Really just curious.  Does Chapman throw all out already?  Probably I am guessing.   I understand the risk vs reward part of this, just wondering if max velocity could be something even greater than what we are seeing if all pitchers tried this.  A league of Ricky Vaughn's might be interesting to watch! 

On a side note, I momentarily pictured myself trying and seeing how hard I could throw, but then pictured the reality of myself most likely throwing the ball 20 feet high and ending by punching myself in the stomach.   Think I'll stick to beer league softball.  

10 hours ago, weams said:

Or health, or grip. Or coaching or grit. 

It's the end of a career. 6 MPH on the fastball and hugely improved spin rate.

https://www.mlb.com/news/charlie-morton-sets-strikeout-career-high/c-276477990?partnerId=ed-12604798-1071868193

Career Best 14 K

Maybe I missed it in the article but I didn't see them list his different arm slot for his success.

I've watched two of Morton's starts this year and the Stros announcers have mentioned how the coaching staff recommended he change his shoulder slot or something along those lines during spring.

It was similar with the Cubs and Arrieta.

59 minutes ago, O's are Legends said:

Maybe I missed it in the article but I didn't see them list his different arm slot for his success.

I've watched two of Morton's starts this year and the Stros announcers have mentioned how the coaching staff recommended he change his shoulder slot or something along those lines during spring.

It was similar with the Cubs and Arrieta.

Maybe he just started eating more vegetables like Teixeira did when he had a performance bounce back.

1 hour ago, Finisher said:

Hellickson has a sub 2 ERA this year. Didn't look like a major leaguer with us.

Mark Reynolds had a .839 OPS last year.  It was in Denver, but it also was when he was 33 and he got close to the slugging % he had back when he was 23.

Looks like he just won the game for the Nats. His WAR as been pretty consistent over the years. Those tinkle toes only go so far.

6 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I need to change my arm slot.

Yeah really. He was dominant postseason last year as well. If it were arm slot it was definitely not a spring coaching tweak.

Archived