Orioles: Most inept organization in all of profesional sports?

foxfield

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I hadn't heard the part about Dan being as big a part as Buck and ownership. 

Dan went out and got Trumbo to replace Davis.

I think Trumbo was a contingency.  If Davis left, they had him to play 1B.  And if Davis re-signed, all the better to have two big bats in the lineup.  Ya know, best laid plans and all.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, esmd said:

I think Trumbo was a contingency.  If Davis left, they had him to play 1B.  And if Davis re-signed, all the better to have two big bats in the lineup.  Ya know, best laid plans and all.

I can see that.  But I still haven't seen anything that points to Dan as being as interested in bringing Davis back as Buck and Peter were.

5 minutes ago, esmd said:

Except Trumbo wasn't considered a big bat in 2015.  The Mariners offloaded Trumbo for a backup catcher.  

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Except Trumbo wasn't considered a big bat in 2015.  The Mariners offloaded Trumbo for a backup catcher.  

That was their stupidity.  Clevenger is/was a fringe major leaguer.  Trumbo had a track record and had hit 30 HRs a couple of times, and was coming off an injury plagued season.

21 minutes ago, esmd said:

That was their stupidity.  Clevenger is/was a fringe major leaguer.  Trumbo had a track record and had hit 30 HRs a couple of times, and was coming off an injury plagued season.

They  just didn't want to pay Trumbo 9 million dollars.   And obviously no one else did or the Orioles wouldn't have gotten him for what they did. 

Just now, atomic said:

They  just didn't want to pay Trumbo 9 million dollars.   And obviously no one else did or the Orioles wouldn't have gotten him for what they did. 

Trumbo only does one thing well and that is hit home runs.  Except Trumbo is 32 years old now, and his days as an above average home run hitter are coming to an end.

I liked the trade at the time because I was assuming Trumbo's was CD's replacement.  Signing both Trumbo and Davis to multiple year contracts isn't the way you build a well rounded baseball team.  

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Trumbo only does one thing well and that is hit home runs.  Except Trumbo is 32 years old now, and his days as an above average home run hitter are coming to an end.

I liked the trade at the time because I was assuming Trumbo's was CD's replacement.  Signing both Trumbo and Davis to multiple year contracts isn't the way you build a well rounded baseball team.  

Well it wouldn't have been as bad but we had Mancini coming up.  How many first basemen do you need? 

Just now, atomic said:

Well it wouldn't have been as bad but we had Mancini coming up.  How many first basemen do you need? 

Well let's see if you look at 1B/DH, the Orioles currently have Davis, Trumbo, Mancini, Valencia and Alvarez.  With Trumbo being the only player not currently on the 25 man roster.  

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Well let's see if you look at 1B/DH, the Orioles currently have Davis, Trumbo, Mancini, Valencia and Alvarez.  With Trumbo being the only player not currently on the 25 man roster.  

Yeah but I wouldn't have signed both Alvarez and Valencia.  Actually I would have signed neither.  I would have taken Flaherty over either of those guys. 

9 hours ago, OriolesWay said:

I think we are all overreacting.  All we need is to string a couple of wins together and start small.  Things will fall into place.

Every team we have played so far may make the playoffs. None of them were pushovers. Plus we have lost the best closer in baseball. Cobb started the season on the DL. Trumbo is still a no show. It's hard for any team to overcome that. We shall rise again!

25 minutes ago, mrbig1 said:

Every team we have played so far may make the playoffs. None of them were pushovers. Plus we have lost the best closer in baseball. Cobb started the season on the DL. Trumbo is still a no show. It's hard for any team to overcome that. We shall rise again!

LOL, rise again to what, .500 for a few days, before we have another stretch against playoff contenders and get dominated again.

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

LOL, rise again to what, .500 for a few days, before we have another stretch against playoff contenders and get dominated again.

I do not think that the tough early schedule and a few injuries can be used to justify a 5-11 record.   I’m not sure the team is this bad, but they’ve dug themselves a nice hole and really couldn’t afford to do that.  

Archived