Should the O's look to trade Jones and Schoop to the Angels?

O's are Legends

The Angels obviously have their eyes set on the playoffs this year. As of today (May 24th) they sit 4.5 behind the Stros and 1.5 behind the M's for the 2nd wild card.

While contributing defensively, they are getting absolutely nothing at the plate from Kinsler (free agent at the end of the season) and Calhoun (10.5 owed next season with a 1mill buyout for 2020).

Kinsler's line on the season .190 .266 .277, Calhoun's line .154.191.195

I'm sure Jones would like to make a run at the playoffs, he's also from California and would most likely make a move to a corner outfield spot on a contending team. Schoop on the other end is off to a bit of inconsistent start at the plate due to injury but as we know is very capable of being a all star hitter. He also has one more year of control before becoming a free agent.

I have no idea how the Angels farm system looks like, then there is the complication of money owed to Calhoun etc. There are already 50 threads on Manny so I figured why not start up a different trade thread as the O's really need to blow this thing up.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Jones to the Angels makes a lot of sense for the Angels and Jones too. I just don't think they have the pieces to trade for both Jones and Schoop. Schoop should stay for now, build his value back up to where it belongs before we consider trading him. Maybe by the deadline if he starts hitting to his level. Schoop by himself should return a pretty good haul. But I am firmly in the blow it up camp. I want to see Manny, Jones, Brach and maybe even Britton traded if he can demonstrate health and effectiveness by the  trade deadline. This is the only thing fun and exciting left in this sorry season.

10 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Creative thinking but didn't Jones just buy Cal's playpen? Jones' wife is from Maryland? This tells me he's staying on the East Coast.

Jones stated in a recent interview that they live in San Diego in the offseason, so I don’t think they are committed to staying on the East Coast.   http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23368668/adam-jones-mr-baltimore-be-oriole-life

1 minute ago, Ripken said:

I got $20 says Jones ends up on the Nats.  They need OF help and it keeps Adam in the area.

I dig this, but I don't think the Hatfields would trade one of the faces of the franchise to the McCoys.  MASN and all that crap.

Angels scenario makes sense.  

So far even Chris Davis is out-hitting Kole Calhoun by 100 points of OPS, but Jones would be another righty bat (albeit one without big platoon splits) if he took Calhoun's job, leaving just the Ohtani/Valbuena platoon.  I imagine Scioscia and Buck can trade notes on Calhoun/Davis quotes about track record, and that Calhoun probably has another 6 weeks or so as a regular to straighten things out.  If he doesn't, they'll be in the RF market, but probably focusing on a left-handed hitter. 

22 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

So far even Chris Davis is out-hitting Kole Calhoun by 100 points of OPS, but Jones would be another righty bat (albeit one without big platoon splits) if he took Calhoun's job, leaving just the Ohtani/Valbuena platoon.  I imagine Scioscia and Buck can trade notes on Calhoun/Davis quotes about track record, and that Calhoun probably has another 6 weeks or so as a regular to straighten things out.  If he doesn't, they'll be in the RF market, but probably focusing on a left-handed hitter. 

They're not putting Ohtani in the field at all, right?   

Had no idea there was anyone worse than Davis right now.  Sheesh.  

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I dig this, but I don't think the Hatfields would trade one of the faces of the franchise to the McCoys.  MASN and all that crap.

Angels scenario makes sense.  

Yeah, I hear you.  Jones is 10/5 too so that plays a part.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Jones stated in a recent interview that they live in San Diego in the offseason, so I don’t think they are committed to staying on the East Coast.   http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23368668/adam-jones-mr-baltimore-be-oriole-life

Right, he also bought Cal's house as an investment opportunity only, and said so.

Hopefully Jones and Schoop will both heat up over the next month, to make themselves viable trade candidates who could bring something back.  Right now it's hard to see why the Angels would want to trade for two guys having off-years to replace two other guys having off-years.  

2 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

So lets offer them Davis for Calhoun.  ?

2 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

If Trout came back in the deal that would help them get rid of a right-handed bat and clear CF for Jones.

Archived