2018 1st round pick Supplemental (37) Cadyn Grenier - SS - Oregon State

So here’s my take here, I think they wanted someone they were sure would stick at SS and was a fairly fast mover. I don’t like drafting for need, but there was a comment before and after the pick about filling an organizational need.

The Orioles were mentioned as being heavy on Nico Hoerner, but he got popped by the Cubs.

This was their fall back and they weren’t confident one of the very few true SS in the college class would be available at 3(87). So they grabbed Grenier.

Grenier is similar to Hoerner, but Hoerner is faster, stronger, and has a better swing. Both need tweaks to get to any raw power, I don’t know how much raw pop Grenier has, but some think he has some. Grenier has a better arm and is a bit flashier with the glove.

Grenier needs a swing overhaul, his hands drift transitioning from load to attack, the angle is too flat, and he doesn’t use his lower half well.

The SS defense gives him a solid floor but I’d put more of a 3rd-5th round grade on him personally. The Orioles must have seen something different and they have seen him much more than I have so let’s see what they do with him developmentally.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

So here’s my take here, I think they wanted someone they were sure would stick at SS and was a fairly fast mover. I don’t like drafting for need, but there was a comment before and after the pick about filling an organizational need.

The Orioles were mentioned as being heavy on Nico Hoerner, but he got popped by the Cubs.

This was their fall back and they weren’t confident one of the very few true SS in the college class would be available at 3(87). So they grabbed Grenier.

Greiner is similar to Hoerner, but Hoerner is faster, stronger, and has a better swing. Both need tweaks to get to any raw power, I don’t know how much raw pop Grenier has, but some think he has some. Greiner has a better arm and is a bit flashier with the glove.

Greiner needs a swing overhaul, his hands drift transitioning from load to attack, the angle is too flat, and he doesn’t use his lower half well.

The SS defense gives him a solid floor but I’d put more of a 3rd-5th round grade on him personally. The Orioles must have seen something different and they have seen him much more than I have so let’s see what they do with him developmentally.

So in a sense he's comparable to DJ Stewart, another guy who needed his swing changed? With the guys we're seeing in Frederick and Bowie, it's that the O's can teach hitters. Look at Stewart, McKenna, Mullins, and we'll potentially see with Trevor Craport and Seamus Curran. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

So in a sense he's comparable to DJ Stewart, another guy who needed his swing changed? With the guys we're seeing in Frederick and Bowie, it's that the O's can teach hitters. Look at Stewart, McKenna, Mullins, and we'll potentially see with Trevor Craport and Seamus Curran. 

I don't think they picked him with the expectation that he will be spending four years in the minors.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Greiner is similar to Hoerner, but Hoerner is faster, stronger, and has a better swing. Both need tweaks to get to any raw power, I don’t know how much raw pop Grenier has, but some think he has some. Greiner has a better arm and is a bit flashier with the glove.

Greiner needs a swing overhaul, his hands drift transitioning from load to attack, the angle is too flat, and he doesn’t use his lower half well.

I'm kind of surprised you like Hoerner's swing better at the moment. I think Greiner does a much better job of consistently "turning the barrell" than pushing. Hoerner absolutely looks stronger and has the higher ceiling but watching his swing now it is consistently pushing through before his body. I'm pretty sure that is what Stanford teaches, but if he changes that you can absolutely see him coming into his power. 

I'm not a huge fan of this pick, but i like the glove and he's been a winner. So maybe he'll be a good presence for other guys.

5 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Stewart seems like an odd comp to me.   His bat was either going to carry him to the majors or not; he didn’t have any other notable tools.      Greiner’s a glove-first guy at the most important defensive position.   Sure, they’ll noodle with his hitting approach like they do with any prospect.    But at the end of the day, he’ll make the majors or not depending on how his glove pans out.    If he’s the second coming of JJ Hardy, they’ll find a way to get enough out of his bat.    But if at the major league level he’s just sort of an averagish glove, my guess is he won’t hit enough to make any impact.    

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I think they wanted someone they were sure would stick at SS and was a fairly fast mover. I don’t like drafting for need, but there was a comment before and after the pick about filling an organizational need.

I think this is what happened here. The organization had a need and they filled it with a guy who can move quickly defensively. I wanted Xavier Edwards there, but he went next to Cleveland. I like Grenier, but I hope he takes a good bit under slot to help us elsewhere.

6 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

That's been said a few times before around here. :D

2 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I think this is what happened here. The organization had a need and they filled it with a guy who can move quickly defensively. I wanted Xavier Edwards there, but he went next to Cleveland. I like Grenier, but I hope he takes a good bit under slot to help us elsewhere.

That would be great. Despite my negativity, I think Rajsich has done a pretty good job and has a plan.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stef said:

That would be great. Despite my negativity, I think Rajsich has done a pretty good job and has a plan.

Yeah, I think there is a plan here, I just hope they aren’t trying to be too cute with it, I think there were some safe routes in this draft, that still had upside.

Xavier Edwards, who is said to have plus range at SS and a strong arm, and devastating speed, went 38.. I think I would have selected Edwards with this pick. Maybe Greiner will prove everyone wrong. I hope so.  It kind of looks like a signability pick, because Edwards apparently wanted 1st round money.