2018 Trade Deadline

Yardball85

I think the Herrera deal could actually be a good thing for the Orioles. He was having a great season and is playoff tested. He was the cream of the crop in the reliever market and now that he's gone to Washington (and Colome is in Seattle), that leaves Britton and Brach as two of the higher profile relief arms on the market and the reliever market is always one of the most active at the deadline. Cleveland desperate needs help in the bullpen. The Astros clearly need a back-end upgrade after Giles' struggles last October. I can see the Dodgers, Angels, Cardinals, Rockies (unless they fall out of it further), Braves and Phillies all still added bullpen help and outside of Brad Hand (who may not even be dealt), Britton and Brach should gain the most attention.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I think the Herrera deal could actually be a good thing for the Orioles. He was having a great season and is playoff tested. He was the cream of the crop in the reliever market and now that he's gone to Washington (and Colome is in Seattle), that leaves Britton and Brach as two of the higher profile relief arms on the market and the reliever market is always one of the most active at the deadline. Cleveland desperate needs help in the bullpen. The Astros clearly need a back-end upgrade after Giles' struggles last October. I can see the Dodgers, Angels, Cardinals, Rockies (unless they fall out of it further), Braves and Phillies all still added bullpen help and outside of Brad Hand (who may not even be dealt), Britton and Brach should gain the most attention.

Agreed, I think the play here is to string teams along into late July and hope someone gets desperate.  BUT, they need to make a move.  No BS like last year.  Make.  The.  Deal.

11 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Amir Garrett (Reds)

Felipe Vazquez (Pirates)

Anthony Swarzak (Mets)

Kyle Barraclough (Marlins)

Blake Treinen (A's)

Sergio Romo (Rays)

Addison Reed (Twins)

Nate Jones (White Sox)

1 hour ago, esmd said:

So apparently Perkins was their #8 ranked prospect. Not sure on the other two.  My guess is the market for Britton is now set for a similar return.  He's a pending FA like Herrera, plus he's coming off an injury and an uneven season, so they may get a little less.  I think Brach is farther down the value chart, and O'Day even more.  I'd still try to move all 3 of them, though.

If (and that's a big if) Britton can string together a few weeks of dominance I think he'll fetch slightly more. At his best, Herrera has never been as good as Britton. 

I hope you're right.  I just worry that teams will value him lower since 2017 was up and down.  He's going to need to have a really good next 4-6 weeks to convince teams that he's closer to the 2016 version than the 2017 version.  Fingers crossed.

To the extent we have an artificial Nats embargo, I guess it is good the other 28 teams all have their powder dry for "not Herrera".

He was making $8M this year, at about a midpoint between Britton's $12M and Brach's $5M.  I think he is probably more than $3M better than Brach and, unless he really looks great, Britton is not $4M better than Herrera.  I imagine teams will offer around 80% of what the Nationals did for our guys, assuming they show well in the next month.

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

These reports are so stupid and speculative. The Padres just signed Hand to a long term deal...they're not going to trade him. 

It could make him more attractive to a team that is a perennial contender and has money like the Red Sox, though.  

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

These reports are so stupid and speculative. The Padres just signed Hand to a long term deal...they're not going to trade him. 

I think when a cheap team locks up its saves compiler, it's as much a cost certainty thing for future buyers as it is a genuine commitment.

In other news, seller with something shiny leaks rumor hoping for the moon and stars.  It would be a nice boon to our medium to long term competitiveness if the Red Sox let Devers go for Hand.

4 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I think when a cheap team locks up its saves compiler, it's as much a cost certainty thing for future buyers as it is a genuine commitment.

In other news, seller with something shiny leaks rumor hoping for the moon and stars.  It would be a nice boon to our medium to long term competitiveness if the Red Sox let Devers go for Hand.

If their asking price is Devers then he really isn't on the trading block. 

Archived