Ryan Mountcastle 2018

hoosiers

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Any idea if his fielding is improving?

I've seen some better throws, but it's not consistent and the release on the good throws is slow. I think it's still rough enough that in the majors, everyone will be beating it down the line on every ball to him and it just won't be playable.

52 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I've seen some better throws, but it's not consistent and the release on the good throws is slow. I think it's still rough enough that in the majors, everyone will be beating it down the line on every ball to him and it just won't be playable.

I've seen much better throws.  I saw him make as heads up a play at third the other night in Harrisburg that you could ever imagine. Then I saw a ball kick up to his chest off the glove and he hesitated and did not get an out. Nor did he throw it away or in the stands. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Any idea if his fielding is improving?

I saw him play on Thursday night, and while he didn't make any errors, I don't think I've ever seen a third baseman with such a weak throwing arm. Harrisburg tried to take advantage of it a couple times, but he was barely able to make the put-outs in time. Even in between innings he was just lobbing the ball over to first, never throwing hard all night.

His hitting was great, though. He hit the ball hard every at-bat, including the only out he made, and he went  up the middle three times.

He might be a perfect fit for DH, but I can't imagine him playing in the field right now.

26 minutes ago, weams said:

I've seen much better throws.  I saw him make as heads up a play at third the other night in Harrisburg that you could ever imagine. Then I saw a ball kick up to his chest off the glove and he hesitated and did not get an out. Nor did he throw it away or in the stands

Can he make it all the way into the stands from third?

From what I have heard from someone that has seen him quite a bit in the minors and know about the game quite a bit he thinks he can be plausible at third and will make most of the plays.  The tough plays will be the off balanced throws charging and making on the run like people bunting but it is not like people even challenge the third baseman much any more with bunting.  Heck players have free base hits and they don’t take it.

6 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

If his arm is weak, why not try him at 2B?

He was moved to 3B to try and fill Machado's shoes. It was a need-based move, not a move based on his skillset. I've had that confirmed by someone who would know. They hoped that having more time to plant his feet would help him throw from 3B. 

Archived